Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replacing the clear bra, any risk to the paint?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 04:17 PM
Vivid
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing the clear bra, any risk to the paint?

My clear bra on just the bumper has yellowed so I was thinking about having it replaced when I go in for a detailing. Funny thing is that it's only the front bumper that has yellowed, the hood, lights and mirrors are fine. I have spoken to two installers, one who likes SunTek, the other Xpel Ultimate. They both warned of the risk of damage to the paint when removing a clear bra, especially the bumper where the bond of the paint to the plastic bumper is weaker. They put the risk at about 5%, which to me seems high and is a legitimate concern/hesitation. I'm sure the risk is dependent on the manufacture and maybe even the color of the paint.

Has anyone removed clear bra from their bumper, were there any issues and what color is your car?
Old 07-03-2014, 05:53 PM
sidwin
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

chris said on his other 997t the clear bra damaged the paint.

to be honest, i want to repaint my bumper and hood so bad but that would hurt the resale value of the car. i've seen clear bra on silver cars that even the fenders yellow.

Thanks,
Sid
Old 07-03-2014, 06:14 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Vivid
My clear bra on just the bumper has yellowed so I was thinking about having it replaced when I go in for a detailing. Funny thing is that it's only the front bumper that has yellowed, the hood, lights and mirrors are fine. I have spoken to two installers, one who likes SunTek, the other Xpel Ultimate. They both warned of the risk of damage to the paint when removing a clear bra, especially the bumper where the bond of the paint to the plastic bumper is weaker. They put the risk at about 5%, which to me seems high and is a legitimate concern/hesitation. I'm sure the risk is dependent on the manufacture and maybe even the color of the paint.

Has anyone removed clear bra from their bumper, were there any issues and what color is your car?
I had a problem with removing clear bra on a black 2008 TT. Bought the car used so don't what original material was used. Anyway experienced installer started removing and paint started coming with it. Ended up having the whole front end re-painted at a high end paint shop and then had Expel Ultimate installed on the new paint (of course after letting paint cure for a month).
Old 07-03-2014, 09:25 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 516 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by sidwin
chris said on his other 997t the clear bra damaged the paint.

to be honest, i want to repaint my bumper and hood so bad but that would hurt the resale value of the car. i've seen clear bra on silver cars that even the fenders yellow.

Thanks,
Sid
Sid, TT Surgeon is correct...there is a good chance that once they start removing the clear tape that some paint or clear will come off...sorry...but this stuff sticks really well.

As far as repainting...IMHO: do what you like!!! If you want a perfect perfect car with no chips in he front, then take pix of the "before", have the bumper facia and hood re-done by a first class shop and take pix of the "after". But get ready that you will pick up chips again...

Last edited by Igooz; 07-04-2014 at 12:35 AM.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:57 PM
TONY AIR C2S
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Had mine removed and replaced earlier this year. No issues, original paint, glacier white. New film is Xpel Ultimate. I was nervous about the factory rear fender guards being removed, no issues.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:32 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

I had it removed on my 993tt and it took a lot of paint with it. But those cars aren't in the same league paint system wise.

Mine hasn't yellowed at all on my 07 but I don't know when it was installed either.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:30 PM
Farfelc2s
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Removing

I bought my car a few months ago. The orig owner wrapped the whole front end. Had the hood and front fender protection removed without any damage AT ALL.
Didn't want to polish plastic
2012 TTS, Basalt Black

Quick Reply: replacing the clear bra, any risk to the paint?