Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IPD Plenum results at drag strip...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 02:17 PM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default IPD Plenum results at drag strip...

I just had an 82mm IPD Plenum and gt3 TB installed on my car and took it to the drag strip for the first time yesterday. So, what were the results????
Inconclusive. I'm still not sure I can interpret the data accurately as the track conditions were so different than other runs earlier in the year. Prior to the plenum, I was running 11.0 - 11.3 consistently, and this was done in 65-68 degree temps, low humidity. With the plenum, I was running 11.3-11.7 in 85 degree weather and 75% humidity. Even after correcting for DA, my times were slower. However, I think my stock intercoolers had more to do with slower times in the heat. My runs were much closer together in the heat than earlier in the year. Also, for a couple of the runs I sat at the starting line brake torquing 10-15 secs waiting on the other driver which I assume creates a lot of heat which my IC's couldn't cool as much. Last year I was running 11.9-12.3 without the plenum, but it was also without the tune and exhaust.

Another thought, the 82mm plenum is supposed to be for higher hp applications. I wasn't running race gas but I wonder with race gas and the race gas tune if I would see more improvement?

Unfortunately I can't provide any conclusive evidence yet, but will continue to update this thread as I get more data.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:43 PM
earl3
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What were the traps?

I've seen +3 mph adding race gas even on a pump tune. In my experience, from a standing start timing will be pulled on most flashes, especially on stock ICs, after about the 3-4 shift and on the rest of the big end. It gets much worse in 5th/6th.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:48 PM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

Trap speeds were around 122 which is 3 mph slower than what I was running in cool 60's weather in the spring (without the plenum).

Assuming timing is pulled around 3rd gear, will the ecu advance timing soon after or will it wait until temps are cooler again?
Old 06-29-2014, 09:42 PM
earl3
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nuclearfishin
Trap speeds were around 122 which is 3 mph slower than what I was running in cool 60's weather in the spring (without the plenum).

Assuming timing is pulled around 3rd gear, will the ecu advance timing soon after or will it wait until temps are cooler again?
So you've lost roughly 30hp somehow. I would attribute maybe 10-15 to the weather difference. Did the shop run a boost leak check after the plenum/tb install? You may have some compounding issues (leaks make IATs even worse).

Generally once the knock sensor sees activity and pulls timing it stays that way until you reduce the load but it will vary w/ RPM and is worse near peak torque. Tends to get worse the longer you're under load and not atypical to see on pump gas flashes that raise boost on otherwise stock hardware, particularly when its hot out. These cars, even with a simple flash, love cool IATs and octane.

Are you able to run a few logs? Can check timing, IATs, AFRs, and actual boost vs requested to see what's going on. I would expect to see upper 120s with your mods and a splash of race gas at a decent track.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:54 PM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

Good point about the boost leak check. I had them install the EVOMs "leak proof" throttle body kit but didn't ask if they ran a boost leak check. I did get a CEL for P2187 which referred to possible loose gas cap, oil cap, or vacuum leak. It reset on it's own and never came back, but maybe there was something going on?
Old 07-03-2014, 05:03 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Nuclear,

Like I mentioned previously I had that kit on my car and took it off.. Unfortunately the IBD plenum and GT3 TB do absolutely nothing for performance. I never dyno'd the car but I took it off after a month. My car was actually quicker without it..

Perhaps for a highly modified engine it may provide some kind of benefit.

I wrote this mod of as one of my "I want to spend more money on my car" experiments. I sold the Plenum and still have the stupid TB in the garage.

Be interested to see how long you leave it on.

Not trying to be a dick.. Just have been down that road...
Old 07-03-2014, 06:54 PM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

No offense taken, I'm going to stick with it a bit longer until I know for sure. I contacted GIAC and they were very supportive of this mod, and they're the ones who did my tune and I trust them. One thing I've learned is that boost leaks are VERY common, especially after this mod so I'm going to check that much more closely. I'm racing again tonight so will post more results when I return.

Originally Posted by phillipj
Nuclear,

Like I mentioned previously I had that kit on my car and took it off.. Unfortunately the IBD plenum and GT3 TB do absolutely nothing for performance. I never dyno'd the car but I took it off after a month. My car was actually quicker without it..

Perhaps for a highly modified engine it may provide some kind of benefit.

I wrote this mod of as one of my "I want to spend more money on my car" experiments. I sold the Plenum and still have the stupid TB in the garage.

Be interested to see how long you leave it on.

Not trying to be a dick.. Just have been down that road...
Old 07-04-2014, 03:39 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

No offense taken, I'm going to stick with it a bit longer until I know for sure. I contacted GIAC and they were very supportive of this mod, and they're the ones who did my tune and I trust them. One thing I've learned is that boost leaks are VERY common, especially after this mod so I'm going to check that much more closely. I'm racing again tonight so will post more results when I return.

I got so sick of the boost leaks and that's why I took mine off. I agree the guys at GIAC are great and I wish you the best of luck getting it sorted.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:34 PM
Turboslut
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

OP, what ended up happening here?
Old 10-10-2018, 05:13 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 583 Likes on 326 Posts

I just had an 82mm IPD Plenum and gt3 TB installed on my car and took it to the drag strip for the first time yesterday. So, what were the results????
Inconclusive. I'm still not sure I can interpret the data accurately as the track conditions were so different than other runs earlier in the year. Prior to the plenum, I was running 11.0 - 11.3 consistently, and this was done in 65-68 degree temps, low humidity. With the plenum, I was running 11.3-11.7 in 85 degree weather and 75% humidity. Even after correcting for DA, my times were slower. However, I think my stock intercoolers had more to do with slower times in the heat. My runs were much closer together in the heat than earlier in the year. Also, for a couple of the runs I sat at the starting line brake torquing 10-15 secs waiting on the other driver which I assume creates a lot of heat which my IC's couldn't cool as much. Last year I was running 11.9-12.3 without the plenum, but it was also without the tune and exhaust.

Another thought, the 82mm plenum is supposed to be for higher hp applications. I wasn't running race gas but I wonder with race gas and the race gas tune if I would see more improvement?

Unfortunately I can't provide any conclusive evidence yet, but will continue to update this thread as I get more data.
I'm not basing this on any specific experience but just as an old car guy and an Engineer I wonder if the 82mm plenum/TB is causing fluid mechanics flow issues/inefficiencies? My car is OEM and as I was planning my upgrades (being built as we speak) I had planned to just go to the 74mm IPD plenum to avoid that possibility until I altered my build to include 68mm turbos/1300cc injectors, at which time I went IPD Y Pipe, 82MM IPD plenum and GT3 82mm TB to handle the increased boost levels. My 2 cents anywho. p.s. Is your car a Tip car or a PDK?
Old 10-10-2018, 06:39 PM
A418t81
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 106 Posts

I’ve yet to see true, conclusive evidence the IPD plenum and GT3 TB do anything on cars with VTGs and <750 whp. Back when Rob was tuning all the >700 whp upgraded VTG cars, the turbos themselves are the flow limiting step and the intake mods I referenced above made zero difference in power over those running the factory parts.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:05 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 304 Likes on 210 Posts

A418t81 is correct. And once you get above 750WHP you start to have side intake runner restrictions AND cylinder head restrictions. That's why you see guy bolting on the large aluminum GT3 intake.
Do your research>>grab the factory side plenum and have it flowed thru the stock cylinder head>>see what the flow numbers are..
The stock "center plenum" and factory turbo throttle body is good for 1.6 bar>>your rods will become the fuse link at that point..
A quick and dirty check of facts is to see what you engine load numbers are clocked against a timed speed run.. If you run the same time>you start asking yourself if it was worth it??? Is it worth a half a second quicker?
Old 10-11-2018, 08:52 AM
Turboslut
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Why did Robtune disappear?
Old 10-11-2018, 09:56 AM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Kevin
A418t81 is correct. And once you get above 750WHP you start to have side intake runner restrictions AND cylinder head restrictions. That's why you see guy bolting on the large aluminum GT3 intake.
Do your research>>grab the factory side plenum and have it flowed thru the stock cylinder head>>see what the flow numbers are..
The stock "center plenum" and factory turbo throttle body is good for 1.6 bar>>your rods will become the fuse link at that point..
A quick and dirty check of facts is to see what you engine load numbers are clocked against a timed speed run.. If you run the same time>you start asking yourself if it was worth it??? Is it worth a half a second quicker?
I was wondering if the GT3 had a different intake and if it would be helpful...thanks for that tidbit (my 997.1 TT is undergoing a build right now with the e85 target being 700WHP.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:05 AM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Good point about the boost leak check. I had them install the EVOMs "leak proof" throttle body kit but didn't ask if they ran a boost leak check. I did get a CEL for P2187 which referred to possible loose gas cap, oil cap, or vacuum leak. It reset on it's own and never came back, but maybe there was something going on?
Regrading the EVOMs "leak proof" kit, I have no personal experience but my tuner/builder that I very much respect (don't want to use his name here but if you PM me I will pass his info along, he is tuning /recommending parts for my 700WHP 997.1 TT) told me they will keep the silicone hoses from popping off the TB/Y Pipe, but they have leak issues themselves with the various O rings. He recommended perfect alignment of the TB/Y Pipe along with using Trident Marine Clamps along the way. He also identified an issue with the crankcase pressure pushing the oil back through the system until it reaches the TB and then seeps into the silicone hose sealed areas causing them to blow or leak, He said the problem was even worse in the 991 TT. His solution was to never fill the oil reservoir past 1/4 above the minimum on a cold engine.

Quick Reply: IPD Plenum results at drag strip...