IPD Plenum results at drag strip...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 10:56 AM
A418t81
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Turboslut
Why did Robtune disappear?
He moved to the middle east because some very, very rich guys decided to pay him huge amounts of money to tune and support their fastest GTRs in the world. Turns out that even if your stuff sets a bunch of records, if you go from a paying vendor back to an unpaid account, they wipe the forums clean. The almighty dollar at work. Just one of the reasons why FB groups are eating dedicated forum websites for lunch these days.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:48 PM
General Jack
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP, you should convert your times with a density altitude calculator, that way you adjust for variables and compare apples to apples.

Old 09-20-2019, 12:09 PM
buffalosojah
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Bumping an old thread, but anyone seen any benefits to installing IPD plenum and Ypipe? I am considering buying these, and want to be sure its worth the money for a low 700 whp stock motor car.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:32 PM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by A418t81

I’ve yet to see true, conclusive evidence the IPD plenum and GT3 TB do anything on cars with VTGs and <750 whp. Back when Rob was tuning all the >700 whp upgraded VTG cars, the turbos themselves are the flow limiting step and the intake mods I referenced above made zero difference in power over those running the factory parts.
Originally Posted by Kevin
A418t81 is correct. And once you get above 750WHP you start to have side intake runner restrictions AND cylinder head restrictions. That's why you see guy bolting on the large aluminum GT3 intake.
Do your research>>grab the factory side plenum and have it flowed thru the stock cylinder head>>see what the flow numbers are..
The stock "center plenum" and factory turbo throttle body is good for 1.6 bar>>your rods will become the fuse link at that point..
A quick and dirty check of facts is to see what you engine load numbers are clocked against a timed speed run.. If you run the same time>you start asking yourself if it was worth it??? Is it worth a half a second quicker?
This goes along with hot air intakes dont really make any real power for the money. I run a modified gt3 intake just for the fact the Im running 30psi and the plastic factory ones can explode.
Old 09-20-2019, 02:48 PM
buffalosojah
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by o7silverturbo
This goes along with hot air intakes dont really make any real power for the money. I run a modified gt3 intake just for the fact the Im running 30psi and the plastic factory ones can explode.
Ok, sounds like the general consensus that this is not an upgrade from the OEM part. Any thoughts on the Ypipe?
Old 09-20-2019, 03:15 PM
Turboslut
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have it on my car.....slapped it on at same time as every other upgrade on car....so I cant opine to IPD specific gains. The y pipe I kept stock as I heard the IPD one makes more sense on very high HP vehicles, plus I would imagine the larger cross section would create a bit more lag for street driving.
Old 09-20-2019, 04:06 PM
TT.BRN
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Fwiw I use the stock tb and plenum, we made 950+ whp and 900+ wtq @ 30+ psi .... you wont feel any real difference till you change turboes and up the power big time ...
The following users liked this post:
Big Swole (09-20-2019)
Old 09-20-2019, 04:53 PM
buffalosojah
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TT.BRN
Fwiw I use the stock tb and plenum, we made 950+ whp and 900+ wtq @ 30+ psi .... you wont feel any real difference till you change turboes and up the power big time ...
Thanks. Think I will spend money on other things then.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:29 PM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by buffalosojah
Ok, sounds like the general consensus that this is not an upgrade from the OEM part. Any thoughts on the Ypipe?
Unless you are running ported turbos or bigger after market turbos there is no need for one.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:40 PM
buffalosojah
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by o7silverturbo
Unless you are running ported turbos or bigger after market turbos there is no need for one.
Just got car back from a few upgrades, running 68mm VTG with e85, etc. Going back to clean up a few things and do inlet pipes and 3 bar map. Was going to add IPD plenum also, but seems as if most don’t think that it works.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:34 PM
TT.BRN
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Skip the 3 bar sensor too ... they dont work on the 7.1’s ...
Old 09-23-2019, 01:08 PM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Just got car back from a few upgrades, running 68mm VTG with e85, etc. Going back to clean up a few things and do inlet pipes and 3 bar map. Was going to add IPD plenum also, but seems as if most don’t think that it works.
Have a set of inlet pipes Ill sell you. pretty much brand new
Old 09-23-2019, 02:55 PM
ShatterPoints
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

It "works" it just does not do anything to add power. If you want to make more power you need to change Volumetric Efficiency or VE. The IPD plenum does not in of itself do this, it is a supporting mod for a host of other changes to help you fully realize the changes in VE. It really is a min/max accessory, if you want to be smart about where your $$'s are spent then skip the plenum and add heat exchangers. Really, anything to cool down the air since heat soak seems to have the largest impact on performance on these applications. Also as has been mentioned measure the total flow and your engine loading, this will tell you where there is room for improvement.

Quick Reply: IPD Plenum results at drag strip...