Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IPD Plenum and GT3 TB install

Old 05-16-2014, 01:02 PM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default IPD Plenum and GT3 TB install

Since it's going to rain all day and the track is closed, I figured I'd install my recently purchased IPD Plenum and TB. I've looked over the videos, read the instructions (for other models), and it seems to be a straight forward R&R. Does anybody have any advice or tips before I tackle the project tonight? I'll take photos and post the R&R procedure if all goes well.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:37 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It's relatively easy but takes some patience. But to tell you the truth it's a pointless mod. I had it on mine and returned to stock.

As far as "tips" go make sure that you lay some towels in the engine bay in case you drop a bolt or other fastener. They will fall into no mans land and you will get very angry.

You will need wobble extensions and the usual suspect tools for working in a tight space.

You will need a some various size pry tools to get the intake hoses off the plenum. Be careful not to damage them.

If you can I would lower the engine about one inch. It will make it much easier to have room to work.. The space is really tight there.

Make sure you attach all the hoses properly on the back off the plenum.

Be careful tightening the bolts that hold on the TB. They can strip easily with too much torque. I'm not sure what kind of coupling hose they provide with the kit now. I mean the the hose that attaches from the TB to the throttle body. The one I had didn't seat well and I was always getting boost leaks. I actually blew the hose off three times.

I know that IPD makes all kinds of HP claims but I found no additional power from the mod. I know that you run race gas and quarter mile your car. So perhaps you may see a quicker time. But I doubt it.

I still have the plenum and TB in a box somewhere in my garage..

Good luck with the install. I'll be curious to your findings.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:25 PM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the tips, those are all really good, especially the towel over the engine bay. I don't know how many I've lost over the years but it's been a lot.

I'll keep this forum posted on any performance gains. I was on the fence regarding the plenum but after getting a positive response from GIAC I figured I'd give it a try. I really like the tune from them and trust them implicitly when it comes to mods with their tune. Also, I work a bunch of really smart phd's and my buddy has some high end airflow measuring equipment and he's going to measure air speed and volume across the entire surface of the opening of both the stock and ipd plenum. Between my 1/4 mile runs and his tests, I should have a good idea if it's doing anything.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:59 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Awesome.. Please let us know how it goes. I hope you see some improvements..

Yes the towels can prevent a lot of swearing and temper tantrums lol!
Old 08-02-2014, 01:22 PM
drvik
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@nuclearfishin - how did you go? Whats the verdict?
Old 08-02-2014, 05:54 PM
Unitah
Instructor

Indeed, what is the outcome? I am considering this for my 997 Turbo and what to know what you thought...
Old 08-02-2014, 09:32 PM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

So far my verdict is the car is equal, if not .1-.2 tenths slower. I'm pretty meticulous saving the data from my runs, and since I've had the plenum I haven't been able to get below 11.3, and that includes compensating for DA. There is one variable I'm still holding out for and that is the update to the GIAC tune. I have a GIAC stage 1 tune. There is an update for GIAC stage 2 which incorporates intercoolers (I just added CM coolers), and a 2.5 which incorporates IPD plenum and gt3 throttle body. I'm hoping to get my car in this week for the update. Once I get the tune updated I'll report back.

If you're considering the larger plenum and TB and either don't have a tune or have a tune that doesn't compensate (assuming the giac update makes a difference), I would not add this upgrade as the results clearly didn't help, at least not yet.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:50 AM
Unitah
Instructor

That seems to be the general consensus. You need a tune to make use of the increased airflow the IPD plenum and throttle body allow.

Have you done your Y-pipe as well? One wound think that to really make use of the increased diameter of the plenum and throttle body, you would need to increase the diameter of all piping. Otherwise, changing one section of the intake system, while keeping the rest restrictive in terms of stock diameter, wouldn't do much at all as the system would be as restrictive as its most restrictive point regardless of individual section diameter improvements. Am I wrong in this thought?

Please let me know what you think after the tune...
Old 08-03-2014, 03:00 PM
phillipj
Drifting

You know have to step in again about these mods. I have had all of them and took them all off.

The GT3 TB and Plenum do nothing for performance. Also the larger diameter Y Pipe does nothing.

In fact these things actually hurt performance. Porsche engineered all of these components to works together. If a larger Y pipe would give you more power why wouldn't it be on the GT2 RS?

If you look at some of the 1000hp TT's built by tuners most run the stock Y pipe.

On the surface a larger diameter Y pipe makes perfect sense. Larger diameter + More air flow.

But it's much more complicated than that..

Take my word for it and don't fall for the Hype of IPD. It's a total waste of money. And the engineering is poor and all you will have is headaches with boost leaks ETC.

If you really want more power you can run Ethanol with 80lb injectors and an Ethanol tune.

Good mods on a TT are tune, exhaust, clutch and GT2 IC's. That's it. Period.. No throttle bodies, Plenums or Y pipes. No NO NO..

Like I told Nuclear I still have a box with this garbage in it in my garage.

Just trying to save people some cash and headaches..

You don't have to believe me but please know that you will end up with a box of garbage too
Old 08-03-2014, 06:21 PM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

As it stands now I can't argue with you, BUT, I trust GIAC as a tuner with a solid reputation. They recommended the plenum and gt3 tb for their tune but advised against the y-pipe. Once I have the tune updated and make some passes, I'll be the first to take it off if the numbers don't support.

Originally Posted by phillipj
You know have to step in again about these mods. I have had all of them and took them all off.

The GT3 TB and Plenum do nothing for performance. Also the larger diameter Y Pipe does nothing.

In fact these things actually hurt performance. Porsche engineered all of these components to works together. If a larger Y pipe would give you more power why wouldn't it be on the GT2 RS?

If you look at some of the 1000hp TT's built by tuners most run the stock Y pipe.

On the surface a larger diameter Y pipe makes perfect sense. Larger diameter + More air flow.

But it's much more complicated than that..

Take my word for it and don't fall for the Hype of IPD. It's a total waste of money. And the engineering is poor and all you will have is headaches with boost leaks ETC.

If you really want more power you can run Ethanol with 80lb injectors and an Ethanol tune.

Good mods on a TT are tune, exhaust, clutch and GT2 IC's. That's it. Period.. No throttle bodies, Plenums or Y pipes. No NO NO..

Like I told Nuclear I still have a box with this garbage in it in my garage.

Just trying to save people some cash and headaches..

You don't have to believe me but please know that you will end up with a box of garbage too
Old 08-03-2014, 06:40 PM
phillipj
Drifting

I think it's possible by some data logging and some tweaks to the tune that GIAC can get it to work for you.
Let us know how it goes. I want it to work for you!

Just sharing my experience.

Good luck! Glad you stayed away from the Y pipe. I didn't lol!
Old 08-03-2014, 06:52 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 304 Likes on 210 Posts

Another point of view.. The limiting factor is not the throttle body.. The limiting factor is the flow from the left and right intake plenums thru the center plenum (throttlebody bolt to center plenum) Go and look at th2 997GT2 size vs previous Porsche engines. It's smaller than a 964, 993 and 996TT center plenum. If you must have a larger throttle body, you must NOT have a center diffuser blocking the center flow between the cylinder banks. With the available plenums one can weld the backside and grind the center diffuser to get more side to side air flow. Go and look at the engine firing order, then look at your cylinder locations. Number 2 and 5 always get more air. Years ago I had Superflow test my 105mm MAF housing and the intake piping, plenum and cylinder heads. It required there largest flow bench.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:22 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Thanks Kevin. Great info

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IPD Plenum and GT3 TB install