Sponsored by:

SoCal help. Car shuts off after letting off boost

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 02:25 AM
Cameronc08
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SoCal help. Car shuts off after letting off boost

Just picked up an '07 turbo with a full fabspeed exhaust, headers, intake, and an evomsit600 tune. This is the car;
http://www.cars925.com/mobile-vehicl...s&searchby=all
3 times in the last 2 days I will get on it in 2nd or 3rd and the car stalls out after I attempt to switch gears, forcing me to restart the car while it's rolling as I lose power steering. These cars are very new to me so I'm not sure what the issue is. I also feel It to be very laggy lately and I can't tell if it's possible wheel or clutch slippage when the boost kicks in. Maybe it's all in my head but if there is anyone in the SoCal area that knows exactly what they are looking at with the 997 turbos, before I spend an arm and a leg I'd like to have someone check the car out to tell me if anything is clearly wrong such as clutch issues or boost leak. Or a reputable shop within driving distance that isn't gonna burn a hole in my wallet. I'm in Westlake Village (91361). Thanks!
Old 05-12-2014, 03:39 AM
550bryan
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

If you just bought the car I would start by asking Elite Motors what they will do to correct it and who they'd like to perform the necessary repairs. Warranties aside the car should perform as expected when you take delivery. I has a slipping clutch in my 09 and when it gave up the tach raced to red line. I don't think it would initially slip and then later grab. If it's acting like it has a big lag it might be something different and possibly related to the shutting off condition. How long and how many miles ago did you buy the car?
Old 05-12-2014, 10:45 AM
Cameronc08
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After taking a closer look at the tach, it does appear that when I go WOT, as soon as I let off, as I'm engaging the clutch it's still racing towards the redline like you said. Makes me wonder if maybe the car is shutting off due to the knocking sensors since I'm shifting near redline and it wants to continue on passed that. Also, it feels as if there is maybe some wheel spin on wot but again that could be clutch related as well. Does anyone have a good shop recommendation in my area for a clutch replacement? I hate this hydraulic assisted clutch. If I have sport on, it feels like I have to ride the clutch a fair bit in first just to prevent stalling (I could also just be a ****ty driver, probably the latter). But with the tune I should probably expected a clutch replacement coming up on 40k miles to be the norm, correct? I'm hoping that's the issue and it's not a leak. Pretty sure I'm still getting approx 17psi at full boost.

Quick Reply: SoCal help. Car shuts off after letting off boost