Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sellers remorse?

Old 05-01-2014, 05:00 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by 550bryan
Interesting thread. 90+ is a stout price for an 07, but what a tough choice. Regardless of the comments on the wing, it's a beautiful, low miles 07, obviously done to fit your tastes. Regarding Ferrari's, I just sold a 550 Maranello to return to Porsche and an 09 TT and I couldn't be happier. Ferrari's are generally very expensive to maintain, that why the new cars come with free maintenance for 7 years. I agree with previous posters, step up to a 430 over a 355 or 360 if you can. Also, any early models equipped with their version of a PDK can be pretty crude in terms of operation and refinement, stick with a 6 speed unless you up to a 430 or later model IMHO.
I thought so, thanks. Never been a Ferrari fan but thought this car might be a good entry point. I'm sticking with M, AMG and P-cars.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:28 PM
550bryan
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 4ocious
I thought so, thanks. Never been a Ferrari fan but thought this car might be a good entry point. I'm sticking with M, AMG and P-cars.
Good call on the Ferrari. Frankly my 550 was just a little too "in your face" for me, I prefer the understated style of the TT even though I realize most of the unwashed don't know the difference between a TT and a Carrera...
Old 05-01-2014, 07:38 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Good call on the Ferrari. Frankly my 550 was just a little too "in your face" for me, I prefer the understated style of the TT even though I realize most of the unwashed don't know the difference between a TT and a Carrera...

They don't until the boost kicks in and scares the elderly and small children..
Old 05-02-2014, 12:37 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
Totally agree with you doc. The oem airokit rear wing is the only one I've seen that looks even remotely sensible on this car. The rest just go toward ruining and unnecessarily cheapening the car, making the owner look a bit of a pud puller.. Some guys are at pains in trying to be different and in that process spend a lot of time and money to only wind up with a very second class looking result.

On the decision to keep the 997tt and sell the 930, I would say VERY wise. I could never imagine in my wildest dreams selling a 997tt over a 930….but to each his own.
Take a look at the market, nice 930 slants are trading in 6 figures right now.
Here is the latest haggerty on 88 930s for ex.
Attached Images  
Old 05-02-2014, 09:14 AM
NoPasaran
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been following a nice 96 one owner red/black F355 coupe with 17K miles for $67K at a local MB dealership. Since you're a Ferrari enthusiast what is there to know about the F355 other than it can be VERY expensive to repair? Good car, bad car, should I hold out for an F360 (they have an 04 spyder too) or California?
Would never get F355. F430 up or no Ferrari, because 911 is a much better car in comparison (maybe not as emotional though). The bank account is deciding though, if dough is no problem then select what your heart likes but be aware of possible (very) high running costs.

Also, to be honest, I see absolutely NO POINT selecting F355 or F430 when you have a choice of 997.2 GT3. Unless you are really tired of 911 shape or you want even more attention from bystanders. IMHO, the best car to buy now, especially if you like manual, unless you really want very very high power and ridiculously low straight line acceleration times, is 997.2 GT3RS!
Old 05-02-2014, 09:20 AM
NoPasaran
Racer

Interesting thread. 90+ is a stout price for an 07, but what a tough choice. Regardless of the comments on the wing, it's a beautiful, low miles 07, obviously done to fit your tastes. Regarding Ferrari's, I just sold a 550 Maranello to return to Porsche and an 09 TT and I couldn't be happier. Ferrari's are generally very expensive to maintain, that why the new cars come with free maintenance for 7 years. I agree with previous posters, step up to a 430 over a 355 or 360 if you can. Also, any early models equipped with their version of a PDK can be pretty crude in terms of operation and refinement, stick with a 6 speed unless you up to a 430 or later model IMHO.
still, your name is 550bryan. ;-)
Old 05-02-2014, 09:28 AM
NoPasaran
Racer

I think this is a wise decision, to stick with M, AMG or (certain= Cayman/Boxter) P-cars, they are so much easier to live with, no need to worry about front lip clearance for example. M4 is coming out, could be interesting. There are nice AMG cars, both 6.2 NAs and the new ones with turbo-engines.

P-cars = 997.2GT3(RS), 997GT2, 997TT (2009), 997.2TTS or, if crazy performance is so important, 991TTS.

Also CaymanS/GTS are interesting, IMHO (at least to me, as I am more and more leaning towards lower weight and usable (= wring it out without going to jail) performance.)

I do not say lots of power is bad, but I would have that in a 2nd or 3rd car, for a weekend run, say. My primary sportscar would be light, manual, RWD and NA (300hp minimum though).

All IMHO, no disrespect to anyone's opinion here.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:35 AM
NoPasaran
Racer

BTW, if you want attention....I was driving behind a DeLorian yesterday. Now, that is ATTENTION!
Old 05-02-2014, 09:38 AM
NoPasaran
Racer

Is it important that "unwashed", as you call them, realize what you drive? Do you want them to envy you or key your car? Who gives a s... what other people realize or think, I thought cars were for one's own DRIVING PLEASURE?
Old 05-02-2014, 11:26 AM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

F355 is not an easy car to maintain. Gorgeous ...yes.....Expensive to maintain....You bet
Old 05-02-2014, 11:33 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 503 Likes on 186 Posts

+1. Best looking F-car (I walk by the Ferrari show room on Park Ave every day, the new offerings don't compare), but a huge money pit.

And it's just an odd car to drive IMO. Steering wheel is not centered in front of you and the gear box is literally adjacent to your right thigh which makes you uncomfortably toasty in no time. I wouldn't imagine driving that on a long trip. But if you can live with those shortcomings it can be a fun car for a quick canyon run at high RPM.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:28 PM
550bryan
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by NoPasaran
Is it important that "unwashed", as you call them, realize what you drive? Do you want them to envy you or key your car? Who gives a s... what other people realize or think, I thought cars were for one's own DRIVING PLEASURE?
Exactly why I sold my Ferrari, I don't care what people think. I bought my 550 because someone said (several writers take credit) "you should own at least one V12 Ferrari in your life". A friend offered me a smoking deal on a barely used 550 and I went for it. It's a beautifully styled Ferrari destined to be a classic, although values will be held down because they built over 3000 of them. At a shade under 500 HP with a 6 speed it was plenty fast and it's a roomy GT that fit my 6'3" frame, but I alway felt it was a little too " look at me" for my tastes. Yes, I don't care what the unwashed think, I would however like to have a car that other informed car nuts respect, otherwise it would probably mean I have the wrong car if that makes sense. You did notice that I kept the 550 moniker, it's just habit and I'm too lazy to change everything to TTbryan.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:48 AM
rayng
Rennlist Member

the metzger turbos are collectible imho. p-cars have the reputation of being affordable, generally reliable, fun, mod friendly, and classic. while there are many choices out there, pull the trigger and enjoy what you've got. there's no point in looking back or looking at your opportunity costs. time (not money) is what we have least.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:03 AM
Dirk1370
Rennlist Member

If you don't take low 90's your nuts...and oh yeah send your buddy my way. Everything is for sale!
Old 05-06-2014, 12:33 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you'll miss it.

I replaced mine with an RS 4.0, and I still miss my turbo. Maybe because it was Rivierra blue, maybe because the power was so incredible. I don't know. I just miss it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sellers remorse?