Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beware of premature failure of Porsche PCCB ceramic brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 01:56 PM
Perk10
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't understand why Porsche makes PCCB's. Is it to keep road cars from creating brake dust and look nice and shiny? Or is it so I can point at my big brakes and say "yeah.... it's got the PCCB's..."
Old 04-26-2014, 03:24 PM
Jimmy0348
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
^ Jimmy you have become quite an expert on self inflicted wounds too lol.
To paraphrase Shakespeare, I would engage you in a battle of wits, but I won't fight an unarmed man.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:29 PM
Rogor
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Perk10
I don't understand why Porsche makes PCCB's. Is it to keep road cars from creating brake dust and look nice and shiny? Or is it so I can point at my big brakes and say "yeah.... it's got the PCCB's..."
For me (just driving on normal roads, sometimes fast in Germany but never on a track) it would be the unsprung weight.
I read on another forum the weight of the front PCCB disk is approx 10 pounds lighter (the rear might be less). Also the moment of inertia is less. That gives better handling, more comfort and steering feel.
This knowledge is from reading, did not experience it.

I wouldn't care about the dust advantage.

When I was searching for a 997 TT, I only wanted the steel disk, because I was impressed by the replacement costs of the brake set.

If I knew then what I know now, I would also have included the PCCB's nest to the steel disks. Because for normal road use they last for years and years. Probable lasting my whole ownership of the TT.
But it also wouldn't be a must have.

I have steel disk now and never before I had a car with such big rotors, I feel the weight of the wheels on bad roads. How do you say that in English: Mass is slow.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:31 PM
Perk10
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogor
For me (just driving on normal roads, sometimes fast in Germany but never on a track) it would be the unsprung weight.
I read on another forum the weight of the front PCCB disk is approx 10 pounds lighter (the rear might be less). Also the moment of inertia is less. That gives better handling, more comfort and steering feel.
This knowledge is from reading, did not experience it.

I wouldn't care about the dust advantage.

When I was searching for a 997 TT, I only wanted the steel disk, because I was impressed by the replacement costs of the brake set.

If I knew then what I know now, I would also have included the PCCB's nest to the steel disks. Because for normal road use they last for years and years. Probable lasting my whole ownership of the TT.
But it also wouldn't be a must have.

I have steel disk now and never before I had a car with such big rotors, I feel the weight of the wheels on bad roads. How do you say that in English: Mass is slow.
Considering that I use mine for road use only, I LOVE the no dust factor. And the fact that they last forever is great. Mine look brand new and my car has 40k miles.

This would NEVER persuade me to spend an extra 8+ thousand dollars on my car. Glad the previous owner did...
Old 04-26-2014, 07:51 PM
Coincident
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Porsche brakes are the best. Hard to fathom any better until you experience the PCCB. The confidence they engender in daily driving is entirely reassuring. Remarkable stopping power. I love them.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:25 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Coincident
Porsche brakes are the best. Hard to fathom any better until you experience the PCCB. The confidence they engender in daily driving is entirely reassuring. Remarkable stopping power. I love them.
Agree, hard to beat. Definitely the best brakes I have ever sampled on a Porsche. So glad I have them.

Originally Posted by Jimmy0348

To paraphrase Shakespeare, I would engage you in a battle of wits, but I won't fight an unarmed man.
To paraphrase Shakespear; He blogged, he failed, he went home with tail between legs.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:40 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

I had them on my 06 C2S and loved them. They stop like nothing else and yes - no brake dust. That be said, they did 'groan' in normal driving for some reason. Looking and specking them on a base 981. And yes... the brake calipers are yellow. Groovy.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:50 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

If anyone is interested, I have a set of PCCB rotors and pads that were taken off of a GT3RS.1 with less than 1200 miles and zero track days for a fraction of the cost when new. As you could imagine, they're in excellent (read perfect) conditions.

Please PM me.

CheeRS,
Old 04-27-2014, 02:34 PM
Jimmy0348
Track Day

Originally Posted by Zeus993
That be said, they did 'groan' in normal driving for some reason.
Mine squeal like a pig after being driven hard.

Old 04-27-2014, 03:41 PM
550bryan
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

The PCCB's on my TT have the best feel of any brakes I've ever used. I agree though that the unsprung weight savings is probably their biggest advantage. The lack of brake dust and squeak is a plus too. The steel brakes on the 997 work great as well and are clearly an advantage for tracked cars. All tracked cars require regular brake work, it's just a hell of a lot more expensive on a PCCB equipped car.
Regarding the salesman warning you about the risks associated with tracking the car, you need a little advice about relying on salesmen for detailed product information. Just how many turbos so you think the average salesman delivers in a year? Maybe one or two, maybe none? In calendar year 09 ( the year of my TT) there were only 872 turbos sold in the entire US. Even if you add in GT3 & 2's (plus 383) the number is still tiny, and how many of those cars are tracked regularly? You really need to do your own research on these very limited production cars because the salesman rarely has a clue.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:40 PM
strato58
Pro

Received 113 Likes on 66 Posts

I think pccb's are awesome for street use. 25K miles and they are basically brand new...I would not want anything else for the street.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:40 PM
Jimmy0348
Track Day

Originally Posted by 550bryan
You really need to do your own research on these very limited production cars because the salesman rarely has a clue.
Painful lesson learned.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:18 PM
MK_TT
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

X2

Originally Posted by Coincident
Old 04-27-2014, 09:55 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

I'm thinking of selling my TT and all I hear is "it doesn't have PCCB's". Well, IMO that's a good thing and I didn't want them when I bought my car two years ago. To me PCCB's are a negative - JMO.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:33 PM
Jimmy0348
Track Day

Originally Posted by Zeus993
They stop like nothing else
Has anyone seen any official test results comparing the stopping power of steel brakes vs. ceramics? My own experience is that ceramics have more initial bite which gives the impression that they stop sooner, but I have not noticed any difference in braking distance. Porsche’s sales literature does not claim shorter braking distance as a benefit of PCCB which leads me to conclude that it doesn’t exist. Otherwise, I think they would be sure to mention it.

Quick Reply: Beware of premature failure of Porsche PCCB ceramic brakes