Sponsored by:

Beware of premature failure of Porsche PCCB ceramic brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 12:15 AM
Jimmy0348
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
Commenting on your nonsense is not "personal attacks".
Calling a person a "jilted lover" is indeed a personal attack. I stopped such nonsense when I left the school yard.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:29 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy0348

Calling a person a "jilted lover" is indeed a personal attack. I stopped such nonsense when I left the school yard.
You are clutching at straws now. Making an observation and passing comment accordingly is not making a personal attack. Anyway I'm done here. Post your complaint on the 997 section where it belongs.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:31 AM
08viper1
Instructor

Please, never had issue with CRB on my 997 TS and I do not expect one on my 991 TS.The braking capacities of these car are so good, I notice I really do not have to use the brakes that hard at all..So, this Dude needs to learn how to drive his TS better(if he has one really) and not bring so much speed into the corners so he is not on the brakes so hard....

Now, in saying that, if one can afford a new TS,you got to spend the money when stuff wears out or brakes at the track..

I am at peace with that, but it does still sting a bit.....
Old 04-23-2014, 10:44 AM
Jimmy0348
Track Day

Originally Posted by 08viper1
(if he has one really)
Maybe I have one, maybe not.
Attached Images  
Old 04-23-2014, 07:54 PM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

What's annoying to me is that a lot of time was likely wasted by those reading these threads that could have been avoided if they were started in the appropriate 997 forum or at least labeled as such if placed in the 991 forums. These are not new issues w/ the 997 gen PCCBs. Those tracking the 991 turbos w/ PCCBs SHOULD be well aware of this with regards to rotor wear esp in the rear given PTV, who knows if the RWS will help or not, maybe? There is no comparison between track driving and "spirited" driving on twisty roads, unless you're a lunatic I doubt there is anywhere near the same level of rotor wear on the street.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:11 AM
Jimmy0348
Track Day

Originally Posted by ajag
These are not new issues w/ the 997 gen PCCBs. Those tracking the 991 turbos w/ PCCBs SHOULD be well aware of this with regards to rotor wear esp in the rear given PTV, who knows if the RWS will help or not, maybe?
The issues were new not only to me, but to everyone I spoke with at the Porsche dealership (unless they lied to me.)

Old 04-24-2014, 01:46 AM
08viper1
Instructor

Ajag..are those GT3 wheels on your Turbo ????
I have been thinking of replacing my TS Center Locks w GT3 Factory Wheels.
I like the GT3 wheels better and it appears they will work with the tires..
Old 04-24-2014, 01:48 AM
08viper1
Instructor

Jimmy 0348 nice 997,had a black on just like it..It hauled ***....
Old 04-24-2014, 04:19 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Please, never had issue with CRB on my 997 TS and I do not expect one on my 991 TS.The braking capacities of these car are so good, I notice I really do not have to use the brakes that hard at all..So, this Dude needs to learn how to drive his TS better(if he has one really) and not bring so much speed into the corners so he is not on the brakes so hard....

Now, in saying that, if one can afford a new TS,you got to spend the money when stuff wears out or brakes at the track..

I am at peace with that, but it does still sting a bit.....
Agree it is an operator issue for sure. And also agree you have to pay to play with this car if your track it. Steels are definitely cheaper to replace when they wear out and that's why most that track will use them instead as they are cheaper to run.

What's annoying to me is that a lot of time was likely wasted by those reading these threads that could have been avoided if they were started in the appropriate 997 forum or at least labeled as such if placed in the 991 forums. These are not new issues w/ the 997 gen PCCBs. Those tracking the 991 turbos w/ PCCBs SHOULD be well aware of this with regards to rotor wear esp in the rear given PTV, who knows if the RWS will help or not, maybe? There is no comparison between track driving and "spirited" driving on twisty roads, unless you're a lunatic I doubt there is anywhere near the same level of rotor wear on the street.
lmao! You guys need to google "premature failure of Porsches pccb"

Poor Jimmy has been a very busy boy posting threads and his blog all over the internet trying to get attention in all the forums but no one is buying and he has wound up with all sorts of responses about his driving skills.

In so far as PCCB's being a known or common problem, the only real problem appears to be the cost of replacing the PCCB's when they wear out. They don't last any longer than steels but cost a lot more to replace and herein lays the real problem for those that track these cars, hence the use of steels.

In so far as the PCCB's themselves, there is no argument that their performance as a brake is superior than the steels. That said, faulty technique will also wear out the steels at the same rate as the PCCB's….. but again it's the price that hurts the most and that is the real problem, nothing else.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:41 AM
Jeff Kay
Instructor

I have a 14 tts coming in June i certainly hope i don't have a 10k bill for pccb for a loooooooong time...i was actually told that i WONT have brake maitence as i have had to do with steels and that i wouldn't be replacing rotors and pads until waaaaaay into driving 50+K miles...is this inaccurate....i won't be tracking the car just normal spirited sometimes harder street driving..

Last edited by Jeff Kay; 04-24-2014 at 08:43 AM. Reason: wrong forum
Old 04-24-2014, 08:48 AM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jimmy0348

The issues were new not only to me, but to everyone I spoke with at the Porsche dealership (unless they lied to me.)

They probably didn't lie, just were unaware. If their client base doesn't track the car regularly, it's really a nonissue. Now if the dealer was aware you were going to track the car when you ordered it, they should have at least told you the huge delta in cost for replacement of the ceramics vs. steels. Bad business practice, otherwise.

Last edited by ajag; 04-24-2014 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:50 AM
ajag
Rennlist Member

I have been thinking of replacing my TS Center Locks w GT3 Factory Wheels.
I like the GT3 wheels better and it appears they will work with the tires..
Not GT3, they are the HRE P101s in brushed tinted dark, I have the 5 lug, not CL. Not sure if the GT3 CLs would fit, would have to think the offsets are different though. I prefer the P101s anyway, given how light they are, 4-5# less than OEM per corner!
Old 04-24-2014, 09:11 AM
drh
Burning Brakes

I wonder if the next owner will be made aware that this "lease returned" car had the crap ran out of it on the track for most of it's life.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:57 AM
Jimmy0348
Track Day

Now if the dealer was aware you were going to track the car when you ordered it, they should have at least told you the huge delta in cost for replacement of the ceramics vs. steels. Bad business practice, otherwise.
Yes, I made it very clear that I was trading in my Targa 4S because of my intention to track the car. I had many discussions on this topic with my salesman.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:06 PM
Jimmy0348
Track Day

The center locking wheels are a $4-5K option for the base Turbo that are standard on the Turbo S. BTW about a year into the car, Porsche issued a notice saying that the center locking wheels need to be serviced every 4200 miles of track driving. My dealer charges $10K for this service. This is another hidden cost that Porsche should make clear before the sale and not afterwards as they now do. I doubt that any prospective owner is aware of this issue.

Quick Reply: Beware of premature failure of Porsche PCCB ceramic brakes