Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beware of premature failure of Porsche PCCB ceramic brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 11:09 PM
Flowmacks
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Kind of weird with the blog post and all that.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:32 PM
Coincident
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not believe this story. The lease length and the entire tone of his blog point to the fact that the OP is a fraud.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:29 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bob has put his finger on it. I specifically recall hearing from a Porsche instructor some years back that poor technique will result in premature rear rotor and pad wear. I've also personally seen (first hand) the odd guy that has had massive amounts of driver training still completely hopeless (even up against newbies) and it's usually these same guys that like telling everyone how capable they are when in reality they couldn't drive a hot knife through butter no matter how hard they try. Sad really....but it does happen.

A track day usually runs @ 200km or so, so if OP says he did 25 days then he would have done @ 5000kms, so that definitely places his technique in the forefront as being the most logical culprit for sure.

In so far as him not posting on the 997tt section (which is where it belongs) is definitely a bit suss too. My guess is he is just trolling amongst the 991tts guys? Either way I still say if you are looking to track regularly then steels are the more cost effective way of managing your outgoings.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:40 AM
Jimmy0348
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
I don't think I need to take it out on 25 grueling track days to find that out.
Only 10 of those days were in the Turbo S. The other days were various driving schools where I used others' cars.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:41 AM
Jimmy0348
Track Day

Originally Posted by Suzy991
So you did 12,000 miles in let's say 2 months or so??? It has to be an 18 month lease, because when it's a 24 month lease your car isn't a 991 Turbo S, but a 997...

Suzy (via iOS app)
Yes, a 997.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:45 AM
Jimmy0348
Track Day

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Hmmmm. I tracked my 991 TTS for about 6 or 7 very heavy track days before trading it in and the Carboteq measurement showed minimal wear at trade in. That story is a little strange.
Maybe strange to you, but happy to show you the repair bill if you drop by Club Sportiva in San Jose, CA.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:52 AM
Jimmy0348
Track Day

My guess is he is just trolling amongst the 991tts guys?
Trolling for what exactly?

There doesn't seem to be a forum for general discussion which is where this belongs because PCCB is available on all Porsche models and therefore a potential problem for all who get the option. So I picked 991 because I thought this forum would be the most applicable to people thinking of ordering a built-to-spec car like mine.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:04 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by Jimmy0348
Only 10 of those days were in the Turbo S. The other days were various driving schools where I used others' cars.
So 10 days = say 2 to 2 and a half thousand K's which basically matches what Bob said happened to that GT2.

Trolling for what exactly?

There doesn't seem to be a forum for general discussion which is where this belongs because PCCB is available on all Porsche models and therefore a potential problem for all who get the option. So I picked 991 because I thought this forum would be the most applicable to people thinking of ordering a built-to-spec car like mine.
Trolling for reactions from those who have just bought TTS's which come standard with PCCB's? Sounds plausible....else why didn't you post the thread on the 997tt section? Anyway I'm always ears open for any negative ownership experiences... I generally find there is a reason for everything. The easiest thing is to blame the product.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:26 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, a 997.
Then you should post it in the 997 section ONLY. Brakes on the 991 are different.
The fact that this happened to you does not mean that all ceremic brakes are bad.

I think that you wanted some attention for your problem and you thought "with all the bad publicity because of Nick Murray's video, maybe I can benefit from it, by making my own "HUGE" problem".

Proof me wrong....

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 04-22-2014, 07:30 AM
speed21
Banned

I think it really comes down to this; either stop making the car fight with itself or just buy something else that isn't going to cause you such angst. Blaming the product over your own shortcomings isn't going to do anything for you....and i can tell you Porsche isn't going to come and mop up your mess. That ain't happening.

I will say this though. The ceramic brakes on this new car are massive. I can see why they put 20" wheels on. Looking at the clearance between the wheel drum and the outside diameter of the disc rotor I don't think they had a choice. Now if you can burn these puppies out in 4000 miles then I think you need to step out of a car period and consider a camel or something like that as transport. Hmmm I think they still have camel racing events....
Old 04-22-2014, 01:14 PM
Jimmy0348
Track Day

Blaming the product over your own shortcomings isn't going to do anything for you....and i can tell you Porsche isn't going to come and mop up your mess. That ain't happening.
Attacking the messenger when you don't like the message is something I'd expect if I walked into a mosque and criticized The Prophet. Porsche is not a religion; it's a car brand. PCNA is not a church; it's a company. One that is staffed by a bunch of arrogant jerks in my opinion. Feel free to jump to their defense - until you have a problem and get the same treatment as Nick and I did.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:02 PM
speed21
Banned

One that is staffed by a bunch of arrogant jerks in my opinion. Feel free to jump to their defense - until you have a problem and get the same treatment as Nick and I did.
I don't have any issue with your message at all actually, even though you are behaving like a jilted lover over not getting your own way. Porsche or any manufacturer is hardly going to cover wearing items like bake pads, clutch discs and brake rotors, as the life if these items are governed by the operator.

Trying to attach yourself to "Nicks" legitimate problem is also being somewhat opportunistic if you ask me as his problem appears to be genuinely product related whereas yours is clearly operator related. Big difference. Fact is disc rotors don't just wear out all by themselves.
Also, if the PCCB's were indeed unfit for the purpose intended as you suggest then why hasn't every other 997TTS manifested the same problem with their brake rotors? Or, are you suggesting you were just unlucky to get 2 bad rotors out of an entire batch? You see when you consider the numbers, and the sheer odds of 2 faulty ones being weeded out from the entire batch to get assembled onto the same car is incredible odds... unbelievable actually.

No wonder Porsche canned your claim. Looking at it logically, it was a fair call to make at the outset.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:59 PM
Jimmy0348
Track Day

You see when you consider the numbers, and the sheer odds of 2 faulty ones being weeded out from the entire batch to get assembled onto the same car is incredible odds... unbelievable actually.
You speed 21 don't deserve an answer because of your personal attacks.

For everyone else: only one out the four rotor surfaces failed on the left side, but the right rotor was destined to fail as well. So the dealer advised replacing the set. I went along with him.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:03 PM
Coincident
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My PCCBs have 22000 Kms on them. They have so little wear as to measure virtually new. My car has never been tracked.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:56 PM
speed21
Banned

You speed 21 don't deserve an answer because of your personal attacks.

For everyone else: only one out the four rotor surfaces failed on the left side, but the right rotor was destined to fail as well. So the dealer advised replacing the set. I went along with him.
Commenting on your nonsense is not "personal attacks". Funny thing is there have been others here that have essentially called you an outright bull****ter but you are only having a go at me now because I have logically explained your real position and in doing so have blown your cover.

Your claim was declined by the manufacturer for logical and very obvious reasons yet you can't deal with that instead have to cry foul, stamp your feet and make silly emotive blogs.

You also now admit that only one of the four rotors wore out, and the other side was not far behind lol. Again another clear indictment of incorrect operation. As i said earlier on, things happen for a reason.

Quick Reply: Beware of premature failure of Porsche PCCB ceramic brakes