Sponsored by:

Brumos Driving Experience Yesterday in my Turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 10:39 PM
GatorMD97
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brumos Driving Experience Yesterday in my Turbo S

Had a wonderful time at the Brumos Driving Experience yesterday! I was lucky enough to have the legendary Porsche racer Hurley Haywood instructing my group. To have such a storied racing champion drive my Porsche and teach me a few things was incredible. The weather was cold and wet so we didn't get to run the quarter mile but the damp track and cold tires really helped me learn a lot about this amazing vehicle. I have very little track experience other than some strip time in my Viper and this is my first time using the GoPro on my car. I have attached a couple of pictures and videos from the event along with some comments.

Me with Hurley Haywood in front of my 2011 911 Turbo S

Me getting ready for a few hot laps in the 1991 IMSA championship supercar driven by Hurley Haywood. Others in the pictures are Don Leatherwood who is the director of the Brumos Museum and Nathan Nelson who is one of Brumos top Porsche techs.

Hurley Haywood driving my car around the figure 8. The weather was around 50 degrees and the track was wet with a light mist and occasional rain. For this exercise we turned off the PSM.

Me driving the figure 8 course with PSM off. I had a little to much throttle but that was the point of the lesson. When I lifted I got the classic Porsche oversteer but I was able to save it each time and not lose too much speed on this my final run. It was really cool to get out of the car and have Hurley give me a big thumbs up and say nice save.

Hurley Haywood driving my car on the short track. It's amazing how smooth his lines and throttle modulation are.

Me driving the short track. I was really excited after my 1st run when he told me that I had a really good run. Unfortunately on my last run I laid down a second place time to another driver with quite a bit of experience but I got a 5 second penalty for just falling outside of the braking box and got pushed down to 4th place.

Hot lap in the supercar. This iPhone video does not do the experience justice. I have been in some fast cars but I have never been in anything like this with a professional driver behind the wheel. The sheer violence of the acceleration along with the constant braking, heal-toe shifting, and steering/throttle modulation while strapped into such a spartan environment gives me a new found respect for endurance drivers. This man is truly an athlete. I love the flames coming out of the exhaust on the 2nd lap.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:59 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 187 Posts

Wow, how fun!!
Old 02-09-2014, 10:59 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Very, very cool! Thanks for sharing!
Old 02-10-2014, 12:13 AM
flyjets
Burning Brakes

Received 215 Likes on 131 Posts

Wow that was cool.

Ian
Old 02-10-2014, 01:09 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Wait until you do the Porsche driving school with Hurley, that's where the fun really starts.
c

Quick Reply: Brumos Driving Experience Yesterday in my Turbo S