Sponsored by:

hey guys, pretty sure my slave cylinder is starting to fail

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 10:30 AM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default hey guys, pretty sure my slave cylinder is starting to fail

have pentosin seeping out of the front clutch reservoir and noticed the power steering reservoir in the rear is a tad bit low (topped it off). Classic symptoms of the slave failing correct? operation wise the clutch is smooth and hasn't changed characteristics at all

Obviously need to get this taken care of, but any concerns driving it in this condition in terms of damaging the rest of the clutch or power steering system until I get it fixed of course?

thanks
Art

PS
Have Fidelity Platinum warranty and the "exclusion" criteria states "clutch components excluded". Have read posts where fidelity has covered the slave and have read twice as many posts where they denied coverage per exclusion. Such BS. Slave cylinder is not a normal "wear" item IMO but can't win with these warrant companies. Any tips on getting this covered before I call the dealer later today are much appreciated
Old 12-23-2013, 10:42 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by aa909
have pentosin seeping out of the front clutch reservoir and noticed the power steering reservoir in the rear is a tad bit low (topped it off). Classic symptoms of the slave failing correct? operation wise the clutch is smooth and hasn't changed characteristics at all

Obviously need to get this taken care of, but any concerns driving it in this condition in terms of damaging the rest of the clutch or power steering system until I get it fixed of course?

thanks
Art

PS
Have Fidelity Platinum warranty and the "exclusion" criteria states "clutch components excluded". Have read posts where fidelity has covered the slave and have read twice as many posts where they denied coverage per exclusion. Such BS. Slave cylinder is not a normal "wear" item IMO but can't win with these warrant companies. Any tips on getting this covered before I call the dealer later today are much appreciated
This is a known weak link in this car so dealer should be aware of the failures. Ask how he would write it up so you get coverage. Good luck.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:20 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

jhbrennan has the right idea. Speak to the dealer, the service manager or a senior tech, about how to present this to the warranty company in a way that gives you the best chance of getting this covered.

I would not wait too long. When my 03 Turbo's clutch accumulator went out I continued to drive the car. The techs told me there would be no harm. But when the slave cylinder showed signs of trouble -- fluid stain on the plastic panel -- the tech advised me to stop driving the car so I bought it in and dropped it off and switched to my back up car until the Turbo was fixed.

Pentosin attacks rubber and I would frankly not like having it in contact with anything outside of the reservoir or lines which were designed to hold it be in contact with it.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:10 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

thanks guys, the dealership said Fidelity will likely cover it if the leak is bad enough (i.e. imminent or total failure of slave cylinder). I'm taking it in right after new years for them to confirm failure and put it through warranty. in the meantime I probably won't drive it too much

Sounds like about a 3-4 hours job so I should be able to just wait for it. I think they have to drop the tranny a little to access the slave.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:53 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Art while you're at it.

http://www.awe-tuning.com/sachs-porsche-stages2-5and3

You should be able to leverage some of costs associated with the "warranty"work

-Tom
Old 12-24-2013, 03:09 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by eurotom
Art while you're at it.

http://www.awe-tuning.com/sachs-porsche-stages2-5and3

You should be able to leverage some of costs associated with the "warranty"work

-Tom
Hey Tom

I spoke with the service advisor you recommended, he seems like a good guy.

As for the clutch, to be honest the stock clutch has been strong with the tune, haven't felt any slipping at all. IIRC Phillip put over 25K miles on his car with a tune before finally experiencing some slipping under hard acceleration, and that's with a total of 60K miles on his car I think

I'll do some thinking about the clutch upgrade, as well as a GT2 slave conversion. I hate the feel of the mushy stock clutch, have no clue where it engages half the time. awful design by porsche for a performance car like this, but I guess the soft pedal works for old guys with bad hips driving in traffic (and I thought that's what PDK was for LOL!!)
Old 12-24-2013, 03:53 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Maybe the 996 and 997 clutches are different but my 996 clutch while of course easy to work thanks to the boost system has good feel to where I can feel the engagement point and get the car moving without excessive slipping or embarrassing stalls. I had the RMS done at around 110K miles and the clutch was checked for wear. There wasn't any. The friction disc material dimension new call out is 1.7mm and that's what I measured. The tech said the clutch looked brand new.
Old 12-24-2013, 04:24 PM
CT944
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

I had the same issue. Started to experience intermittent issues with clutch pedal when depressing pedal, heard groaning power steering pump when turning the steering wheel, the spoiler then stuck in raised position and fluid leakage under driver side front wheel. All was related to the clutch slave and accumulator. Had everything fixed 100% via CPO.
Old 12-24-2013, 04:58 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by aa909
Hey Tom

I spoke with the service advisor you recommended, he seems like a good guy.

As for the clutch, to be honest the stock clutch has been strong with the tune, haven't felt any slipping at all. IIRC Phillip put over 25K miles on his car with a tune before finally experiencing some slipping under hard acceleration, and that's with a total of 60K miles on his car I think

I'll do some thinking about the clutch upgrade, as well as a GT2 slave conversion. I hate the feel of the mushy stock clutch, have no clue where it engages half the time. awful design by porsche for a performance car like this, but I guess the soft pedal works for old guys with bad hips driving in traffic (and I thought that's what PDK was for LOL!!)
Art sorry to hear about your issues.. Sounds like your dealer can get it done for you though

I wouldn't do your clutch until it starts to slip.... Mine is still working fine at 67k.. When it gets bad I'll replace it..

Tom is right though. Everyone I know that has that 2.5 kit loves it..
Old 12-24-2013, 05:16 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by phillipj
Art sorry to hear about your issues.. Sounds like your dealer can get it done for you though

I wouldn't do your clutch until it starts to slip.... Mine is still working fine at 67k.. When it gets bad I'll replace it..

Tom is right though. Everyone I know that has that 2.5 kit loves it..
hey Philip, yeah seams like these cars are all destined to have a clutch slave/accumulator failure. amazing that porsche doesn't own up to a faulty design and do a recall

in any case seems like a straight forward remove and replace. will get it done in the new year.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:37 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Porsche is like a woman.. It is never their fault...

Quick Reply: hey guys, pretty sure my slave cylinder is starting to fail