Sponsored by:

Q on a modded 2011 turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 09:28 PM
550bryan
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Q on a modded 2011 turbo S

I'm looking at 2011 turbo S's. One Ive landed on in colors and equip I like is a 10K mile car in really nice condition, basically looks new. Here's an issue thought it has a tubi exhaust which is OK, but it has also had the intercooler "upgraded" and the ECU re-flashed resulting in an extra 50 hp. I've driven a couple of turbo S's and I really couldn't tell a difference based on a test drive, it ran well, but I'm wondering about a compromised warranty (factory till 10/14) and my ability to add an extended warranty on it. I assume it would be easy to re-flash the ECU to factory spec and frankly a different intercooler, assuming it's a quality piece, is a non-issue IMHO, but that doesn't mean the warranty people will agree. Another option would be to go back to a factory intercooler, but at what cost? Any of you experts want to weigh in with an opinion? I think I can buy the car for around 115K. Thx
Old 12-15-2013, 11:21 PM
steve k ny
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check PM Bryan
the 997.2 turbo s has the same intercoolers as the gt2rs...
Old 12-18-2013, 06:08 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Personally I wouldn't buy a Turbo S that has been flashed. Porsche basically got most of the extra HP for the S by doing there own ECU mods . The car is very, very quick stock. And for sure a flash will void your warranty. If your engine has any kind of failure and they (the dealer) read your DME and see the flash you are SOL..

Some dealers like Champion will honor the warranty if they do the mods. Not so sure about an S though..

0 to 60 in 2.7 isn't fast enough?

I would look for a car that hasn't been touched. Just my opinion..
Old 12-18-2013, 06:13 PM
Coincident
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fully agree. The TTS is in many ways a modded car, albeit by Porsche. The car is so special just as it is. Mods often compromise the overall balance of a car and the end result is an inferior performer.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:53 PM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

The end price seems below market. I just saw 2 TTS's a couple of weeks ago with asking prices of $130K- maybe high but I doubt the dealer would go much below that. But maybe this car is a little too complex for most potential buyers. I would stay away, since I value the peace of mind of a P-warranty. I am sure, however, that there are others who would like to take the risk for an extra 50hp.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:11 PM
flyjets
Burning Brakes

Received 215 Likes on 131 Posts

No Dealer will honor the warranty with the ECU flashed.

Even if you find a dealer that will reflash it back to stock your exposure for a warranty claim is to great.

I shopped the Turbo S for the past few months 115K is cheap and there is a reason it is.

Ian
Old 12-20-2013, 12:59 AM
550bryan
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks for all the advice on this, I've decided to buy a really nice 09 turbo 6 speed, limited slip , PCCB, Cl's, heated adaptive sports seats , sports chromo package, sport shifter, bluetooth XM and a bunch of trim stuff I'm going to change. Very happy to have the 09, really nice car.
That said and done, the grey metallic tan interior turbo S at Lambo Newport Beach is a really nice, well kept car, drives out perfectly. The last owner in Texas couldn't leave well enough alone and replaced the intercoolers and re-flashed the ECU. The ECU can easily be re-flashed to stock specs and the intercoolers changed back if desired, although frankly no reason to do so, they are quality intercoolers that will have a small positive impact on performance, it's the re-flash that makes the power. This car, in the mid teens, is a very tempting proposition for someone wanting a turbo S. It's also very unusual in that it doesn't have CL's, it equipped with some really nice Champion wheels, which gives you endless options on wheel choices not available on a CL equipped car.

Quick Reply: Q on a modded 2011 turbo S