Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.1TT vs Panamera Turbo

Old 12-07-2013, 12:16 PM
951Pearly
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.1TT vs Panamera Turbo

Hello fellow rennlisters. I've heard much about how the Panamera is the best handling 4 door sedan and non other vehicle of it's type can compete. What I am interested in finding out is how well can the handling of the Panamera match a 996 or 997.1TT?

I understand that straight line speed they are close and that's not a concern but on a canyon road or track driving how well does the Panamera compare? They are all technically GT cars. The panamera is heavier by around 1000lb so that has a great effect but the panny is also more balanced.... I've only driven the 911 turbos so I can't really speak for the panny but I would like input from anyone that has driven both in a spirited way on the track or canyon road and can provide insight to the handling characteristics.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-07-2013, 01:43 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

Is there any way you can take one for a test drive? Surely that would be the only way to truly compare
Old 12-07-2013, 04:22 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

In my opinion the Panamera is one of the ugliest cars I have ever seen. Getting used to the looks of that car is like getting used to having an ugly wife. Sure they handle great and are fast. But they are butt ugly.

If you want a sedan why not get a MB. At least they don't like like a mistake.

Straight line the Panamera TT S is probably just as fast or faster as the 997. But the 997 is beautiful and the Panamera took the "short bus" to school..

Just my 2 cents..
Old 12-07-2013, 06:46 PM
951Pearly
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand taking one for a test drive on a canyon road would truly be the best way of finding out which one handles better. I just want to get peoples perspective on the HANDLING aspect of both vehicles.

People do find the Panamera unattractive and that's understandable but I think they are pretty attractive especially in the front and the styling does grow on you after a while so that's not a concern. I want to focus this thread on just vehicle handling comments, people who have driven both or own both would be most welcome to chime in.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:18 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

I've tracked Pan S, GTS, and TTS.
Yes, TTS is as fast as 997.1TT on track in straight line. With turns, you need to slow the Pan down a bit more due to its weight. So both its entry and exit speed will be slower than the 997TT.
With spirited road driving, even my Pan4 can keep up with all other Porsches in our meets as the speed is not as fast as track driving.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:37 AM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

only problem with the Panny is..........well, it looks like a Panny LOL
Old 12-08-2013, 10:21 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Great GT butt ugly. I've driven a turbo and base but still can't get use to it.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:02 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

Styling is subjective so I will leave it alone. My experience in the Panamera was limited to the loaner from the dealer and only city and freeway driving. I found the visibility to be poor out of the rear widow and around the c-pillar. Otherwise it was a "nice" and "new" car and very quiet and comfortable. I guess a nice car for sure.

And the Panamera is significantly heavier than a 7TT and the Porsche engineers are good but they cannot change the laws of physics. So from a handling perspective it is going to suffer. However, the longer wheelbase gives the car a better ride if you were driving it every day. Nice family car.

You can upgrade the Panamera with suspension mods, etc too...tech-art sells some nice stuff for them.

Last edited by Igooz; 12-08-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:42 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Originally Posted by 4ocious
Great GT butt ugly. I've driven a turbo and base but still can't get use to it.
Butt Ugly is rather kind...
Old 12-08-2013, 11:19 PM
killingemsoftly
Rennlist Member

One of the ugliest cars made doesn't look good at any angle doesn't matter what rims color or whatever you do to it if it was given to me I'd sell it immediately the only thing that looks good is the interior but I'd get a Mercedes S63
Old 12-09-2013, 04:47 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Agree the looks are subjective. The pana tts is quite a purposeful looking car particularly in the right colour. I wouldn't call it ugly personally. If i was choosing between a 997tt.1 tt i'd firstly evaluate what my needs are regarding other occupants. If the car is only going to do minimal family duties then probably the TT.1 is the better solution for the solo occupant but that said there is no disputing the PanaTTS is a formidable car in most types of driving you will do on roads outside of a race track and will definitely prove far more comfortable. Also unless the TT.1 has had certain expenditure put toward a few mods to cure the lifeless engine note, weak clutch and so forth then the package of the Pana is certainly superior in out of the box form imo. Either are good choices.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:33 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Originally Posted by killingemsoftly
One of the ugliest cars made doesn't look good at any angle doesn't matter what rims color or whatever you do to it if it was given to me I'd sell it immediately the only thing that looks good is the interior but I'd get a Mercedes S63
+ 1 And I'm a Porsche fanatic.. But they dropped the ball with the Pana styling..
Old 12-09-2013, 05:28 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by phillipj
+ 1 And I'm a Porsche fanatic.. But they dropped the ball with the Pana styling..
As a Porsche fanatic for the past 18 years I would have liked Porsche to have done better with Pana's styling especially from the side view but that said I can't say the Pana is ugly as some here feel. The Pana TTS looks pretty tough to me actually (JMO). A base Pana…well not so….especially in white. It may not be a beautiful or pretty car shape wise but set up right in a dark colour with the right wheels it has a tough and purposeful look about it…..it certainly has road presence. Not saying i would buy one personally as I am more of a SUV guy in that sized/type of passenger car but that said for those that like a low riding conventional 4 door sedan it has a particular look about it. And it certainly has the performance and comforts.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:20 AM
nsurg
Rennlist Member

I'd get the audi s7 over any panamera any day, imo.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:02 AM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone

OP have you tried CLS550 or CLS63??

good luck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 997.1TT vs Panamera Turbo