Sponsored by:

Coilover simple question

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 02:14 PM
Farfelc2s
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Coilover simple question

I have a 2010 TT with PASM. I read all the searches and the more I look into it, the more confused I get.
If I change to Coilovers, what is the noticeable improvements besides height?
I use my car as a DD and never track. The roads here are bad.
What should I do or just leave As Is?
Old 11-16-2013, 03:29 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

Leave it alone. Waste of money if this is a street car and you have bad roads. If you are looking for bragging rights then ok, but otherwise this is a poor investment.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:32 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you are not going to track your car then coilovers are a bad decision in my opinion.

You can get massive handling improvements just by changing the springs and adding sway bars..

But if as you say the roads are terrible where you live (and your car is a DD) then a lowered car may not be a good idea either. I have my car lowered with H & R springs. The ride quality is great on good roads but pretty bad (really bad) on older freeways and highways.

Also with a lowered car you will go through more spoiler lips (no matter how careful you are.)

So you may just want to leave the car stock.. I agree with Igooz.. Coilovers on a DD are a waste of money..

I hope this helps..
Old 11-16-2013, 03:37 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

^he is so smart! ++ Phillip, I need to lower my TT after 6 years... Street car...all stock just Tubi exhaust. And I am ordering new 19" wheels next week.

What do you recommend? Igooz
Old 11-16-2013, 04:33 PM
Farfelc2s
Burning Brakes

Default Springs

I have used lowering springs only on other Porsches and all it did besides lowering was make it a very hard ride.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:11 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Originally Posted by Farfelc2s
I have used lowering springs only on other Porsches and all it did besides lowering was make it a very hard ride.

I have to disagree. I lowered mine because it had terrible understeer when I drove into fast corners in the canyons. It was a pig..

My friend had his TT lowered and sway bars.. I drove it and the difference was huge!

My car handles MUCH better lowered. And the ride is great. Even my wife doesn't think the ride is harsh.

If you think the lowering springs are harsh. Wait til you try the coilovers..

I drive mine everyday and think it's one of the best things I have done to my car..I have never regretted it. And I help Porsche with their profit margins when it comes to spoiler lips..

I still think in your situation you should stick to stock...
Old 11-16-2013, 06:16 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by phillipj
I have to disagree. I lowered mine because it had terrible understeer when I drove into fast corners in the canyons. It was a pig..

My friend had his TT lowered and sway bars.. I drove it and the difference was huge!

My car handles MUCH better lowered. And the ride is great. Even my wife doesn't think the ride is harsh.

If you think the lowering springs are harsh. Wait til you try the coilovers..

I drive mine everyday and think it's one of the best things I have done to my car..I have never regretted it. And I help Porsche with their profit margins when it comes to spoiler lips..

I still think in your situation you should stick to stock...
+1 coilovers for a DD on bad roads is a recipe for hating your car not to mention regretting the thousands you drop on parts and labor

How bad are your roads? If you have a lot of sudden transitions and dips then lowering is a bad idea regardless if you're using coilovers or springs
Old 11-16-2013, 06:24 PM
Farfelc2s
Burning Brakes

Default coil overs

Lowering the car is not very important to me, its the ride quality.
I live in Quebec, do I need to say more about road conditions?
Old 11-17-2013, 01:45 AM
512bb
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I have gone from mild to wild (stock to full coil over with the DSC - Dynamic Suspension Control - from TPC Racing, lengthened wheelbase and wider front track, basically a GT2RS set-up on the turbo) and even though the DSC makes the car incredibly compliant, it still rides much stiffer than stock.

Look into a good pair of sway bars and front and rear adjustable toe rods and go with a good balance of alignment and your car as a DD will be practically night and day.

Also, to go to a higher level look into the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. From a handling perspective going to these tires will buy you proportionally better handling than practically all suspension changes you can make.

Follow-up and let us know what you finally decide and your thoughts on them.

Cheers.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:53 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Originally Posted by 512bb
I have gone from mild to wild (stock to full coil over with the DSC - Dynamic Suspension Control - from TPC Racing, lengthened wheelbase and wider front track, basically a GT2RS set-up on the turbo) and even though the DSC makes the car incredibly compliant, it still rides much stiffer than stock.

Look into a good pair of sway bars and front and rear adjustable toe rods and go with a good balance of alignment and your car as a DD will be practically night and day.

Also, to go to a higher level look into the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. From a handling perspective going to these tires will buy you proportionally better handling than practically all suspension changes you can make.

Follow-up and let us know what you finally decide and your thoughts on them.

Cheers.
Great advice!
Old 12-14-2013, 01:33 PM
twinsnail
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I respectfully disagree with all of this (having tried the just lower and stiffen the car route) on my 996 tt and GT3; the cars are understeering pushers from the factory for safety concerns (rightly) and will always be until the geometry is set correctly to make the car closer to neutral You MUST be able to change camber and toe and cannot do this until you have adjustable toe links and either camber plates or adjustable control arms. You will screw the car up if you just lower it. AND, when you "lower" the car with non coil-overs you are essentially just shortening your damper....on bad roads? Having said this I hate the clicking/clunking/rattling noise of even the best after-market suspension pieces.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:51 PM
L_perm
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll add my two cents while this thread is revived. I had my suspension redone a month ago, and the car now feels like a sports car. IMO, the stock suspension isn't up to the quality of the rest of the car. Hence, I installed:

- Ohlins Road & Track coilovers (Ohlins' product for street cars that are tracked occasionally)
- Camber plates
- GMG Sways w/ Tarett drop links
- Dogbones, eccentric locking plates, and toe control arms in the rear

The car dropped about 10mm. It now feels like it has a suspension worthy of the Porsche 911 nameplate. It is more surefooted. It corners better. It feels more solid and secure. It doesn't bounce (oscillate) like stock. The slight increase in noise is nothing compared to the benefits. It is "stiffer," but not harsh. Would a "lay" passenger prefer the stock setup? Probably. Do I care? No.

Do I believe that coilovers are a waste on a DD, or non-tracked car? Absolutely not. But, to each his own. The Ohlins, by the way, are less than the KW V3 coilovers from the prices I've seen.

LP
Old 12-14-2013, 11:36 PM
twinsnail
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default agree

Originally Posted by L_perm
I'll add my two cents while this thread is revived. I had my suspension redone a month ago, and the car now feels like a sports car. IMO, the stock suspension isn't up to the quality of the rest of the car. Hence, I installed:

- Ohlins Road & Track coilovers (Ohlins' product for street cars that are tracked occasionally)
- Camber plates
- GMG Sways w/ Tarett drop links
- Dogbones, eccentric locking plates, and toe control arms in the rear

The car dropped about 10mm. It now feels like it has a suspension worthy of the Porsche 911 nameplate. It is more surefooted. It corners better. It feels more solid and secure. It doesn't bounce (oscillate) like stock. The slight increase in noise is nothing compared to the benefits. It is "stiffer," but not harsh. Would a "lay" passenger prefer the stock setup? Probably. Do I care? No.

Do I believe that coilovers are a waste on a DD, or non-tracked car? Absolutely not. But, to each his own. The Ohlins, by the way, are less than the KW V3 coilovers from the prices I've seen.

LP
I basically did the same, Jae Lee at Mirage in S Diego knows the geometry He has done 2 cars for me now and was actually able to tame my GT3 so that even I could drive it! The 997 tt with the Ohlins Road and Tracks feels like a different car and is a lot more fun to drive in all conditions The sport mode is gone but who cares with this much base HP
Old 12-15-2013, 01:03 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I second LPs post. I'm running damptronics and I think they're too soft.

Based on your use and circumstances I would keep it stock
Old 12-16-2013, 07:21 PM
L_perm
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I should add that I live in an area with generally good roads. If most of my roads were bad, I'd probably consider TPC's PASM box and the Bilstein struts. Call TPC Racing and they can tell you about it.

LP

Quick Reply: Coilover simple question