Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Turbo Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turbo-forum-139/)
-   -   Does anyone use anti-seize on their wheel bolts? (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turbo-forum/778295-does-anyone-use-anti-seize-on-their-wheel-bolts.html)

9115INGH 09-25-2013 07:46 PM

Does anyone use anti-seize on their wheel bolts?

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone uses any kind of anti-sieze on their wheel bolts?

I have some titanium ones and was wondering if it makes any difference to whether i should or not.

KJ :)

TT Surgeon 09-25-2013 07:58 PM

I believe tikore recommends it on ti bolts, not sure if it makes a difference.

jhbrennan 09-25-2013 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon (Post 10785798)
I believe tikore recommends it on ti bolts, not sure if it makes a difference.

Porsche recommends too.

MLindgren 09-25-2013 09:14 PM

There should be a different torque spec if using anti-seize.

Do titanium lug bolts use the same torque spec as steel to insure proper bolt stretch?

jhbrennan 09-25-2013 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by MLindgren (Post 10785969)
There should be a different torque spec if using anti-seize.

Do titanium lug bolts use the same torque spec as steel to insure proper bolt stretch?

The owner's manual only lists 1 torque spec which I assumes includes the recommendation to use Optimoly.

ilko 09-25-2013 11:49 PM

I've been using white lithium grease on the wheel lugs/bolts on all of my cars for over 10 years. I don't torque them any differently, never had a seized wheel, and have yet to experience a wheel fall off ;)

L_perm 09-26-2013 02:06 AM

I use a moly-based anti-seize just as my manual tells me to. I only fully torque the bolts after lowering the wheel to the ground. Yada, yada, yada.

Do I think either of these matter? Not really. Before I bought an expensive car--for me at least--I never used anti-seize, and I tightened as much as seemed necessary using a lug wrench--no torque wrenches involved. Never had any problems of any kind--abnormal tire wear, vibration, seized lug nuts, etc.

My Dad laughs at how I have to pamper my cars these days. He and I both grew up on steel wheels and jacks that you crank up with a lug wrench before you pry off the hubcap and break the lug nuts loose--if you had a hubcap. Some of the old pickup trucks we jacked up by the bumper, IIRC.

And weeeeeee liked it!

Redmist 09-26-2013 03:20 AM

Why take a chance? The manual says use anti-sieze. It doesn't take that much effort.

9115INGH 09-26-2013 05:52 AM

This is from the Owners manual guys, Optimoly TA is the way to go :

http://f.cl.ly/items/1q0F2y3S3t3h2B1...2009.44.26.png

4ocious 09-26-2013 09:14 AM

Good info and timely! Swapping my Turbo II wheels out for my GT3 RS wheels on Friday. I'll follow the recommendations. Thanks.

Metal Guru 09-26-2013 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by L_perm (Post 10786516)
I
Do I think either of these matter? Not really. Before I bought an expensive car--for me at least--I never used anti-seize, and I tightened as much as seemed necessary using a lug wrench--no torque wrenches involved. Never had any problems of any kind--abnormal tire wear, vibration, seized lug nuts, etc.

The issue is dissimilar materials and galling.
If your torquing up a steel lug to a steel wheel, no issues. Tightening up a "dry" aluminum fastener to a steel stud could result in galling which will seize the aluminum fastener. Sod's Law dictates that you will discover this when you get a flat tire on a dark, rainy night miles from civilization :)

L_perm 09-27-2013 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Metal Guru (Post 10786863)
The issue is dissimilar materials and galling.
If your torquing up a steel lug to a steel wheel, no issues. Tightening up a "dry" aluminum fastener to a steel stud could result in galling which will seize the aluminum fastener. Sod's Law dictates that you will discover this when you get a flat tire on a dark, rainy night miles from civilization :)

Ha! Good point--dissimilar metals doing their chemical shenanigans. I guess back when we were using dry nuts and lug wrenches we didn't have any of those fancy new metals like aluminum on our wheels. ;)

And weeeeeee liked it!