Sponsored by:

Full circle...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 10:38 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,283 Likes on 594 Posts
Default Full circle...

I'm probably like a lot of people here - always looking for another car. So I start thinkg, yeah, I should get a 993 coupe in addition to my TT. Then I think well, I should have a TT Coupe and a 993 cab for weekends and summer but that's a lot of trouble to swap everything out. So why... don't I just keep what I've got - a stunning TT cab that is the best DD in the world. Yep. Perfect.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:41 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

It's a disease !!

I, like you, keep looking for cars on the market. Not because I am tired of my turbo. No, just looking if something 'better' would come along.
I can't help it. I know what I have and love it !
But still I keep looking at the for sale sites almost daily.
Primarily for an '09 but sometimes I wonder what a Ferrari or McLaren would be like to own and off I go. Crazy ...

But in my defense ; ) when I started looking for my 'keeper' turbo it had to be an '09. I searched for quite some time. I never quite found the perfect car. There was always something holding me back. So I ended up making a cheeky offer on a very low mile '07 and by surprise the seller accepted after a few days. So I got that.

A few weeks later I found an '08 in a absolute dream spec and my desire was sky high. Was able to sell the '07 in a day and got my dream car '08.
Still have , don't want to sell it and still I keep looking...

Just now a very nice '09 came online , super low km's and black/black/pccb.
Good price and all.
Tempted but still would regret to lose all the great things of my car just for a new(er) PCM.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:57 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Denis with his turbo
It's a disease !!

It is an addiction!!! This is why I crack when I read people saying that they will keep "this car forever!"...

I just came really really close to buying a 993C2 Coupe but last minute decided to pass...I will hold out for maybe a nice 993C2S to get the wide hip...and I have a 991GT3 on order for Oct/Nov delivery...and then I want to go to DE and (re)learn how to drive fast again... OK, it is a disease!
Old 07-10-2013, 04:08 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Igooz,

Nice call on the GT3! That is an amazing car. I can't wit to see the new TT too!

But like Denis said I look all the time at the ads and I really can't find a reason to sell my car. If mine wasn't so well optioned it would be easier. But to find one as good as mine is very hard. Low miles and no options are not going to do it for me.

I think I will keep my car until year two of the new TT. Then probably get one of those.

What color is the GT3?
Old 07-10-2013, 04:29 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

^Thanks Phil...yes...I agree!
White GT3 pretty basic spec, and Riley helped me with the spec on the car. Not a fan of automatic at all but what can I say, they only come in one flavor now!
I will post pix when it shows up...
Old 07-10-2013, 05:44 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Awesome! I LOVE WHITE PORSCHES! PDK or whatever it's supposed to be an amazing car.
I ordered a couple for customers when I was in the car business. I guess the dealer cannot charge you more than MSRP when you ordered the car.. PCCB's or steel? Knowing you i think you got the ceramics.. Can't wait to see it!
Old 07-10-2013, 06:22 PM
L_perm
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is how you properly deal with this disease.

When you get the urge to buy something new--993, GT3, '09 TT, etc.--you figure up the amount of money that will come out of your pocket, and then you spend 90% of that amount on modding your current vehicle--performance, cosmetic, it doesn't matter. If you are good at rationalization, this method actually saves you money while improving and personalizing your car! There is no downside! (The 90% figure is approximate, of course.)

Not responsible for bad decisions based on the logic expressed here.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:03 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by L_perm
Here is how you properly deal with this disease.

When you get the urge to buy something new--993, GT3, '09 TT, etc.--you figure up the amount of money that will come out of your pocket, and then you spend 90% of that amount on modding your current vehicle--performance, cosmetic, it doesn't matter. If you are good at rationalization, this method actually saves you money while improving and personalizing your car! There is no downside! (The 90% figure is approximate, of course.)

Not responsible for bad decisions based on the logic expressed here.
But you still have one car and at the end you still want to get something new not to mention the money you just spent on modding just went down the drain
Old 07-10-2013, 11:53 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by phillipj
Awesome! I LOVE WHITE PORSCHES! PDK or whatever it's supposed to be an amazing car.
I ordered a couple for customers when I was in the car business. I guess the dealer cannot charge you more than MSRP when you ordered the car.. PCCB's or steel? Knowing you i think you got the ceramics.. Can't wait to see it!
Thanks Phil! Yes on PCCB! (IMO: rip off expensive option...I may change this...) very few other options: 90L tank, red belts, smoker package

Honestly, I wanted an Orange GT3 (ilko!.......) but I went with White for two reasons: 1) To Wifey it becomes another "white car" and it blends in the shop and no need for chats... 2) The dealers are struggling ordering these cars right now and I decided to keep it simple and get one of the first ones...
Old 07-11-2013, 12:06 PM
L_perm
Pro

Originally Posted by C2 Turbo
But you still have one car and at the end you still want to get something new not to mention the money you just spent on modding just went down the drain
I was joking, but I do disagree with your "down the drain" assessment. I assume you are referring to the fact that mods don't return much on resale. The same can be said of many factory options. But your opinion ignores the consumption value created by the mods. The extent to which mods represent resale losses also depends on one's time horizon--the longer the time until resale, the less mod cost losses matter, and the more mod consumption value matters.

Igooz will chuckle at me, but I actually do plan to keep my '07 TT for a long while. When I'm finished modding, it will be one of the nicest specimens around from my point of view--and unique to me. I value all of that over having a second 993, for example. (I know, because I went through that decision process.) Plus, I do all the modding and maintenance work, which also represents consumption value to me. It's fun, and I know my car inside and out. I don't just drive it, I have an intimate relationship with it.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:34 PM
phillipj
Drifting

I was joking, but I do disagree with your "down the drain" assessment. I assume you are referring to the fact that mods don't return much on resale. The same can be said of many factory options. But your opinion ignores the consumption value created by the mods. The extent to which mods represent resale losses also depends on one's time horizon--the longer the time until resale, the less mod cost losses matter, and the more mod consumption value matters.

Igooz will chuckle at me, but I actually do plan to keep my '07 TT for a long while. When I'm finished modding, it will be one of the nicest specimens around from my point of view--and unique to me. I value all of that over having a second 993, for example. (I know, because I went through that decision process.) Plus, I do all the modding and maintenance work, which also represents consumption value to me. It's fun, and I know my car inside and out. I don't just drive it, I have an intimate relationship with it.
+1
Old 07-11-2013, 12:54 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 185 Posts

Extensive modifications would definately limit the size of the buyer pool not to mention the $$$$ loss.

Having said that, to the right buyer, depending on the modifications, it might be a plus but definately not going to command a premium over a stock, well optioned car though.

I have and I still follow the FS section regularly, and I know the modified cars are not easy to sell unless the mods are fairly basic.

If you want, i can search and post links to FS cars (997.1 TT) that have had in excess of $25,000+ dollars and that sold for low to mid 90's where as the stock cars at the same time sold for mid to high 80's, if not higher

If one doesn't mind losing that much cash then by all means modify your car and get all the personal gratification you want but don't expect to recoup your dollars or to sell your car quickly.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:35 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Louis, I usually enjoy your posts and this one is no different !
Right on the money
So much maturity for such a youngster
Old 07-11-2013, 01:39 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Extensive modifications would definately limit the size of the buyer pool not to mention the $$$$ loss.
A smart seller removes all the mod's and sells bone stock. Sold separetly the mod's will bring 50 cents on the dollar at least. Quite similar to most other things in life which you want to get rid of.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:54 PM
L_perm
Pro

Having said that, to the right buyer, depending on the modifications, it might be a plus but definately not going to command a premium over a stock, well optioned car though.

I have and I still follow the FS section regularly, and I know the modified cars are not easy to sell unless the mods are fairly basic.

If you want, i can search and post links to FS cars (997.1 TT) that have had in excess of $25,000+ dollars and that sold for low to mid 90's where as the stock cars at the same time sold for mid to high 80's, if not higher

If one doesn't mind losing that much cash then by all means modify your car and get all the personal gratification you want but don't expect to recoup your dollars or to sell your car quickly.

I haven't and am not trying to refute the fact that mods don't return much at resale. I just wanted to point out that there are other sources of value from the mods beyond cash back at resale.

When I buy and eat a hamburger, I can't barf it up and resell it. So, do I consider that money "down the drain?" Of course not. It provided satisfaction without having any resale value.

I would venture so far as to say that all of us here don't mind "losing cash" for personal gratification.

Originally Posted by Denis with his turbo
Louis, I usually enjoy your posts and this one is no different !
Right on the money
So much maturity for such a youngster

I'm an old soul. I've had a mid-life crisis every year since I was 30.

Quick Reply: Full circle...