Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 09:09 AM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up holy mackrel sport button!

Good day drivers:

Was coming home from a solo dinner last night, sitting at a light......decided to try the sport button......yes for the first time LOL......
that really livens the car up huh? Very responsive and aggressive......but still had a c*nt hair of lag...
very fun, can't believe I've never used that button, I NEVER even tried it on the Targa when I had that haha,,,,
I don't use the paddle shifters in my Merc's either though

I do enjoy the car, and my only reason for trading it towards a new Benz is the new baby in my wifes little oven, thought it might be more responsible to get rid of the Turbo...
BUT time will tell
Old 04-02-2013, 10:18 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

Europipe or any other good exhaust will cure the Turbo lag.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:15 PM
vincentdds
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm....that's funny.
I had mine retrofitted with the sport program a few weeks ago. I was quite disappointed. The difference was miniscule and nothing compare to what you described. I hardly noticed the overboost function.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:57 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

@ rotesAuto ... this has nothing to do with the sport button ...but your avatar...holy mackerel indeed!
Old 04-02-2013, 05:20 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Only1Buck
@ rotesAuto ... this has nothing to do with the sport button ...but your avatar...holy mackerel indeed!
Exactly...which explains why he has one in the oven.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:37 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Exactly...which explains why he has one in the oven.
Haha. After seeing his avatar my wife has another one going as well.

As far as sports mode, I agree with livens up the car. Throttle sensivitivty is great, not sure if I can feel that much more power.

With a tune I actually prefer sports mode off, feels more linear.

Last edited by eurotom; 04-02-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:53 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

^ this thread is going off the rails quick for me ... all the comments you made I interpreted as being full of sexual innuendo ... I will now step away from the keyboard
Old 04-02-2013, 07:23 PM
mm450exc
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vincentdds
Hmmm....that's funny.
I had mine retrofitted with the sport program a few weeks ago. I was quite disappointed. The difference was miniscule and nothing compare to what you described. I hardly noticed the overboost function.
You need to floor it for the over boost to kick in.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:01 PM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanx for all the comments gents, and congrats to you EuroTom!

It was very sensitive in sport mode, kind of had to adjust my driving because of the
sensitivity.......
do I need to let the engine warm up to operating temp before engaging this mode?
it's recommended to do so in my AMG, guess I could look in the manual lol
Old 04-02-2013, 09:11 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by rotesAuto
I do enjoy the car, and my only reason for trading it towards a new Benz is the new baby in my wifes little oven, thought it might be more responsible to get rid of the Turbo...
BUT time will tell
My "babies" are 8 and 11, and the Turbo still serves very well as a kid hauler. If the wife is joining us, then we take her Cayenne S.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:30 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That is facinating. My car is night and day with the sport button. But I drive the F out of mine.. My car is a rocket in sports mode. Semi rocket without. First thing I do when I get in my car is put on my safety belt and engage sport button. Never drive without it. No sport button no over boost. What's the point of no over boost?
Old 04-03-2013, 02:30 AM
Leo997TT
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I always drive with the sport mode on but can somebody tell me exactly what it does? i do feel a big difference too
Old 04-03-2013, 02:39 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Leo997TT
I always drive with the sport mode on but can somebody tell me exactly what it does? i do feel a big difference too
just changes the fuel map slightly, more responsive throttle... with my old NA manual trans... it basically made the pedal give more gas with less movement.. i have read however that the throttle body doesn't open 100% without sport mode and does when selected.. so can add a slight bit of power.. i would say the altered map would keep it in boost better..

try it out... and report back.. try wide open throttle to feel more diff (i.e. throttle body fully open and the overboost)
Old 04-03-2013, 03:39 AM
Leo997TT
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
just changes the fuel map slightly, more responsive throttle... with my old NA manual trans... it basically made the pedal give more gas with less movement.. i have read however that the throttle body doesn't open 100% without sport mode and does when selected.. so can add a slight bit of power.. i would say the altered map would keep it in boost better..

try it out... and report back.. try wide open throttle to feel more diff (i.e. throttle body fully open and the overboost)
I already did since day 1 lol and i can tell the is more power.... i just didn't know why... Thank you for the explanation!
Old 04-03-2013, 06:28 AM
drvik
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sport mode also gives you 10 seconds of "over boost" at 1.2bar, vs 1.0 bar in stock mode. However in my experience it was hard to make it climb that high, I had to be in 5th gear, going up a hill, lowish revs and WOT. And then you would only see a fleeting moment of 1.1bar. I know it's off topic, but if you want that sort of power consistently, then a tune is your answer. I recently flashed one and now the ECU lock in the boost at 1.0 and 1.2bar respectively all the way to redline. The result is overwhelming!!!!!

drvik

Quick Reply: holy mackrel sport button!