Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.1 to 997.2 Steering wheel Swap Done!

Old 04-05-2017, 10:02 PM
shadow993
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by JJT
Yes, thanks
Originally Posted by JJT
Yes, thanks
You can use any sport paddle steering wheel.... cayman, 911, boxster, Panamera or Cayenne.

You can even put on the 991.2 style from every Porsche.

They are all interchangeable and regardless what some think the Gt3 is the same size, but paddles are different on the 997.2 with a shorter throw.

The 991.2 multifunction switches will not work on older generations, but paddles do.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:06 PM
Mr.White
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I used 997347803g1a34, but shadow993 is right: You can use any sport paddle steering wheel.
My car is 2008 997 Turbo.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:39 AM
federatedparts
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by estrellajon
Yeah I do have an appointment to get it back but travel schedules keeps changing. Hopefully will get it sorted next week
hi, estrallajohn -- did you ever figure out what was causing the horn to beep once when you turned off your car?
Old 04-15-2017, 08:16 PM
estrellajon
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by federatedparts
hi, estrallajohn -- did you ever figure out what was causing the horn to beep once when you turned off your car?
I actually went back late last week to my tech and spent some time troubleshooting. Still an issue when PWIS programs for multifunction. At this point they are also stumped along with Sucoast and along with local dealer. At this point, perhaps the updated steering column might be required to omit the horn beep. It's a $300 trial and there is no guarantee it will fix my issue.

My user case is: I have a sport steering wheel from the factory. I read folks having multifunction wheel from the factory did not require PWIS when upgrading to sport design wheel. Not sure what other factors are out there.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:02 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

try eBay - they come up sporadically.

Originally Posted by Dguth
Does anyone know where I can purchase the control module or have one? I'm assuming I'm going to need it. Swapping out a manual non-MF triangle 997.1 steering wheel to a 997.2 with new airbag. Do I need a new module if I'm going from nonMF to nonMF? Wondering if I need for new airbag and horn to work.

997-613-289-01- steering control module
Old 06-12-2017, 07:09 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

btw guys, someone in china figured out how to get the 991.2 multifunction controls to work on a 997.1 + 997.2

in both cases you will have to have the 997.2 steering wheel module (with appropriate PIWIS programming so that MULTIFUNCTION is ON). from there plug in his intermediate adapter and you will be good to go.

he has adapters packaged, shipped and ready to go. comes with full instructions as well i believe. videos are up on the Facebook retrofit modification forum.

PORSCHE 997 RETROFIT CUSTOM & MODIFIED Tips n Tricks.

no affiliation but i did think that the guy is a genius and i am sure some ppl are itching to upgrade to the gorgeous 991.2 wheel (myself include).
The following 2 users liked this post by myw:
Andy Wang (07-19-2021), mdosu (12-28-2021)
Old 09-26-2017, 12:15 AM
DerrickYap
4th Gear

Default Porsche 997.1 Automatic Steering wheel to 997.2 PDK

I have a few questions.. Please do help me..My car is Porsche 997.1 Turbo Automatic Tiptronic and i want it change to 997.2 PDK.. But i have encountered fee issues the grounding of the horn and airbag of 997.1 is a plastic film type and the new 997.2 pdk steering is the metal type.. How will i make conversion to make the sockets fit? and i have read the thread and i read that there is a control module but there are no pics.. I would suggest that please post the diagram or steps on how to go with the upgrade
Old 09-26-2017, 12:23 AM
DerrickYap
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Mr.White
I did the swap yesterday without any problems and it took me about one hour. A friend and I used PIWIS 1 to code (997.613.289.01 steering wheel unit was used). For those who are interested, here´s the way to code:

1. Select "special functions" and do a "vehicle handover".

2. The "vehicle handover" runs automatically. When prompted if the car is new, select "no" and then confirm your chassis number (VIN). The "vehicle handover" is needed for recognizing your new steering wheel unit, so that all other control modules are able to communicate with it.

3. Select to "steering col. switch" unit and read and erase all fault memories. Then switch to "codings" and set "Automatic (Tiptronic/PDK)" and "PDK" (both!) to "installed". Also set all your other values to "installed" if the car is equipped with them (for example speed control system).

4. Then select "PSM" unit and read and erase all fault memories. After that read your security code (keep in mind) and do a steering-wheel-sensor-calibration (security code is needed here).

5. At last: Erase all fault memories and then have fun while driving a Tiptronic car with PDK-Paddles
I have a few questions.. Please do help me..My car is Porsche 997.1 Turbo Automatic Tiptronic and i want it change to 997.2 PDK.. But i have encountered fee issues the grounding of the horn and airbag of 997.1 is a plastic film type and the new 997.2 pdk steering is the metal type.. How will i make conversion to make the sockets fit? and i have read the thread and i read that there is a control module but there are no pics.. I would suggest that please post the diagram or steps on how to go with the upgrade
Old 09-26-2017, 10:40 AM
AOGB
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2009 997.1 tip

wrong thread

Last edited by AOGB; 09-26-2017 at 10:43 AM. Reason: wrong thread
Old 09-26-2017, 11:46 AM
DerrickYap
4th Gear

Default Hi Mr. White what will

Originally Posted by DerrickYap
Hello Mr. White what will i do with the ground of my horn and airbag? its a plastic type? and the new Steering wheel is just metal?
Old 09-26-2017, 11:52 AM
DerrickYap
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Mr.White
I did the swap yesterday without any problems and it took me about one hour. A friend and I used PIWIS 1 to code (997.613.289.01 steering wheel unit was used). For those who are interested, here´s the way to code:

1. Select "special functions" and do a "vehicle handover".

2. The "vehicle handover" runs automatically. When prompted if the car is new, select "no" and then confirm your chassis number (VIN). The "vehicle handover" is needed for recognizing your new steering wheel unit, so that all other control modules are able to communicate with it.

3. Select to "steering col. switch" unit and read and erase all fault memories. Then switch to "codings" and set "Automatic (Tiptronic/PDK)" and "PDK" (both!) to "installed". Also set all your other values to "installed" if the car is equipped with them (for example speed control system).

4. Then select "PSM" unit and read and erase all fault memories. After that read your security code (keep in mind) and do a steering-wheel-sensor-calibration (security code is needed here).

5. At last: Erase all fault memories and then have fun while driving a Tiptronic car with PDK-Paddles
Hello Mr. White
what will i do with my plastic ground for the horn since in 997.1 its the plastic ground and the 997.2 is the metal slip in type?
Old 10-03-2017, 10:10 AM
shadow993
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DerrickYap
Hello Mr. White
what will i do with my plastic ground for the horn since in 997.1 its the plastic ground and the 997.2 is the metal slip in type?
You need a new airbag and the new wheel has its own ground wire to attach.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:21 PM
Dguth
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 90 Posts

Hey guys, resurrecting an old thread but need help with my steering wheel upgrade install.

I had the basic 997.1 steering wheel with triangle airbag, no multifunction on the steering wheel. I purchase a 997.2 steering wheel with new airbag along with steering control module. The new steering wheel also has no multifunction on the wheel. When they installed the new wheel and programmed the new module. The horn worked on the new wheel but for some reason they couldn’t get my multifunction stalk to work right on the steering column. The lever that you can cycle through to check tire air pressure, error codes etc. Since they couldn’t get that to work, they put the old module back in. The stalk multifunction lever now works but I have no horn.

Is there something we should be doing correctly to get the new module to work with the 997.1 multifunction stalk on the column? Hopefully I’m explaining this right.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:30 PM
estrellajon
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Try programming as multifunction wheel. Horn should work
Old 01-08-2018, 10:40 PM
Dguth
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by estrellajon
Try programming as multifunction wheel. Horn should work
the horn works with the new module but not the stalk function on the steering column. Are you meaning to program the new module as multifunction or my old current one. I don’t think the horn will work on the old module due to how the horn depresses on the 997.1 version versus 997.2.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 997.1 to 997.2 Steering wheel Swap Done!