Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Turbo Exhaust - early Christmas Present

Old 11-11-2012, 10:13 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by strato58
Ok back to the exhaust I have experience with (if anyone cares). I think the 911 tuning sounds as least as good as any of the above vids
....but I did get a CEL today. I guess its time for a tune.
Lol. Out come the band aids...

That said a tune is a good addition for sure. But i wouldnt be putting a tune in to prop up the misgivings of any exhaust system.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:31 PM
Glenmhor 1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your absolutely right again. Price is irrelevant! When people pay out the sort of money we have for our cars, then purchasing something that not only works but works effectively - in all aspects - is invaluable!

I'm playing devils advocate! I'm skint so a E/P is out of the question for me. The price you quoted (3180? has a good deal of tax to be added my end) which makes the Kline look very good indeed. A well known independant tuner in the UK called ninemiester? has by all accounts fitted two of these systems to the non VTG 996's and was impressed at the dyno figures'

I drive my car once a fortnight like an old grandmother (relative to the way my mate drives his GT3RS)!

I hear what your saying about the heat shielding. I'll never be able to contrast it with an E/P anyway so I'll possibly never know the real differences to be honest. By the way when I quoted the weight of the OEM system as over 40 kgs in a previous thread, that came from a post in the UK forum not Kline. They told me the O/E weight was approx 25kgs.

Rob.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:55 PM
kitwetzler
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Ok back to the exhaust I have experience with (if anyone cares). I think the 911 tuning sounds as least as good as any of the above vids
....but I did get a CEL today. I guess its time for a tune.

Probably just need some extenders for the 02 sensors. right angle ones usually make installation easier.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:05 PM
kitwetzler
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenmhor 1
Thanks for sharing the pictures! Hm, so this is not actually an x-pipe. It allows for some of the exhaust to cross over but not all of it, so it won't really have the wail a real crossover exhaust will. (GMG, EB Werks, 911 tuning, etc)

I'm really curious as to what the cans look like inside. I'm hoping just perforated tubes but it's hard to tell. I'm sure a 2.5" exhaust is going to be quieter than your typical 3" x-pipe exhaust. Will certainly be interested to hear how much it drones, etc.

It's nice to see obviously hand done welds too. While they aren't nearly as pretty as robotic TiG welds, they show that someone who knows how to weld put this system together. I see good penetration and preparation. The welds are left alone and not ground off, so they are clean enough to show. Not nearly as nice as Stef's Europipe's welds, but again, at half the cost, I wouldn't expect that either... and welds don't need to be THAT pretty to function.

Keep us posted on your impressions. I know a few here seem closed to new exhaust systems working well, but the proof is in the pudding for me, so let us know. From a tolerability standpoint, there are other exhausts out there than the Europipe, my Milltek was ok (although flowed terribly - almost no power over stock)
Old 11-12-2012, 02:22 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kitwetzler
Probably just need some extenders for the 02 sensors. right angle ones usually make installation easier.
I was just going to mention that. 95% chance the CEL will go away with the extenders..
Old 11-12-2012, 02:47 PM
strato58
Pro

Received 113 Likes on 66 Posts

No problem guys I was expecting this and wanted a tune anyway....I dont think its a band aid because i was told this would most likely happen...I usually dont follow the masses and wanted to go a different route then EP. Im going protomotive tune/911 tuning exhause...next step champion intercoolers....
than a 2nd and 3rd job to help pay for it all.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:51 PM
strato58
Pro

[. I'm sure a 2.5" exhaust is going to be quieter than your typical 3" x-pipe exhaust.

Damn I have the 3" x-pipe and its too quiet to me at idle....really nice under load though....my neighbors must love me...ah F em!
Old 11-12-2012, 02:53 PM
strato58
Pro

I was in an enclosed parking garage yesterday...with the windows open and the pedal down it was pure heaven....I was starting car alarms at will....lol
Old 11-12-2012, 06:38 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I was in an enclosed parking garage yesterday...with the windows open and the pedal down it was pure heaven....I was starting car alarms at will....lol

That is too awesome... 02 bung extenders will get rid of that CEL..

Maxspeed has these.. http://www.maxspeed-motorsports.com/minicat.html

I used the straight version on my Techart exhaust. They just barely fit. I didn't buy them from Maxspeed though.....
Old 11-12-2012, 06:54 PM
speed21
Banned

There are a few things here I would like to comment on with the recent posts here so i'll just throw it all together in the one post ok.....

Kit i also noticed it's not a proper xflow....not that it really matters that much but my observations were mainly directed to the high temp build up in the area of the central weld. YIKES! Can't say i'm convinced with that arrangement as a long term solution. High heat combined with vibrations in an expansion/contraction environment is not a good combo for any weld in such a central stress point.

Many would be aware of tubed headers cracking on the welds which is why most manufacturers use a cast header these days. Again, reliability is key. Performance without reliability is inevitably useless. I note others use a flexible expansion bellows type joint in these types of thermal expansion environments between mufflers especially where you have weight hanging either side of the joint (even though in this instance the weight is clamped to the body). Anyway not sure what the scientific explanation will be on that lol, but it looks an obvious weak link to me.

Also Kit where "tolerating" something is concerned, you are far better off not having to learn "tolerate" anything especially in an expensive car like a Porsche Turbo. To tolerate something generally means it isn't right to begin with and therefore you have to learn to put up with it. So, why learn to put up with something that really shouldn't be there as any point of aggravation, no matter how small? Just thought i'd mention that because I hear the word "tolerate", "tolerable" used a hell of a lot with these aftermarket systems. And generally one's tolerance weakens at one point hence the constant change out of AM systems you often see. It all usually starts with it's tolerable or "i (think I) can learn to tolerate that" lol.

The other point Kit is the extenders. Where Stratos system is concerned you've really got to ask why the extenders weren't provided with the system in the first place (that is if they will indeed keep the CELs away) because it indicts the fact the system was definitely not thought out or designed properly at all! You see making a system that produces more noise is only part of the equation. The system has to actually work properly on the car IYKWIM without the user having to run around chasing bits up that may or may not fix the cel anyway. So those bandaids do come out....and quite regularly lol. Again just saying....

Maybe that tune is the best way forward lol.

Last edited by speed21; 11-12-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:09 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by Glenmhor 1
Your absolutely right again. Price is irrelevant! When people pay out the sort of money we have for our cars, then purchasing something that not only works but works effectively - in all aspects - is invaluable!

Rob.
Well stated! Answers all questions in one hit! Thanks Rob.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:06 PM
strato58
Pro

Speed I dont disagree. I could have gone with the 200 cell cats which would have eliminated the problem here but chose the 100 cell...The tune is my way to go because I want the additional 100 ponies...it was my plan all along.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:13 PM
strato58
Pro

I guess everything is a compromise though speed because im thinking the EP2 is too quiet and tame for me. The one I have is barely loud enough for me and im pretty sure its louder than the EP2. I never listen to a radio when im driving my Porsche so the exhaust is the music to my ears....Hell I which i had no cats.

So even though I got the CEL its a minor inconvenience that is easily solved.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:13 PM
speed21
Banned

Speed I dont disagree. I could have gone with the 200 cell cats which would have eliminated the problem here but chose the 100 cell...The tune is my way to go because I want the additional 100 ponies...it was my plan all along.
Hard call strato, you never know the 200's may have also left you with cels too. So the 100's at least have a lesser resistance.

Re the tune my main reason for saying that was you are definitely better going a tune rather than faffing about with bung extensions which may or may not prove to be a long term solution anyway. Each of these ill thought out systems seem to behave in different ways so whilst bungs might fix one systems misgivings they may not do it for the next system that suffers from other issues altogether. So thats what i ment when i said the tune is the best way forward in ridding the cels because at least you get more power from the exercise .
Old 11-12-2012, 08:48 PM
speed21
Banned

I guess everything is a compromise though speed because im thinking the EP2 is too quiet and tame for me. The one I have is barely loud enough for me and im pretty sure its louder than the EP2. I never listen to a radio when im driving my Porsche so the exhaust is the music to my ears....Hell I which i had no cats.

So even though I got the CEL its a minor inconvenience that is easily solved.
I'm hearing you with the CEL strato....agree that is solvable with the tune and you have the advantages with the tune anyway so its all good so long as the tune is properly managing the safety of the engine. If it's not then you're never going to know until its too late, so where possible it's always better to have all the sensors in the engine management system working and registering with the ecu.

On the EP2 when I was in Greece recently I got to listen to some of the members cars there ( i was travelling in Dianics/Nicks car behind them and alongside at WOT). It gave me a good idea of loudness and note. The EP2 did sound very good actually but it may not be loud enough for those real hard core dudes especially if you really want to put it right out there with the noise....but i'm quite sure it's more than loud enough for most users. You can definitely hear it for sure! Plus EP openly admits that EP2 system does develop interior resonance which is not for everybody.....hence the existance of EP1. The EP2 system is a real performer though and does have all the features such as the big cats, heat shielding and superlative construction etc and for me that's a big thing on a car like a Porsche.

I also think perhaps something that can help work against the resonance driving the driver mad is having the car at a higher speed where the revs are above 4K all the time....such as on an expressway etc. But that said you can never escape the interior sound volumes that can/will wear you down at one point. Maybe not such an issue on a quick fang....i would agree with that. Again depends what and when you use your car for. I also heard another system, supposed to be very expensive (like 12K or something crazy like that). It had a higher pitched note, sounded quite good actually. Can't recall the brand. Maybe Nick can chime in on that point. Not sure how it was from inside the car as i didn't get the opportunity to ride shotgun in that car.... did sound very good though and it too was a real performance system with its features. I guess you get what you pay for....or at 12K you'd certainly want to.

As someone else pointed out here, it depends on the user and so forth to what one can eventually "tolerate", and i do acknowkledge that to a point, however once a system kills the inside of the car with drone then it relegates the car as just a self indulgent toy purely for the enjoyment of the soloist extreme driver. Not too sure too many passengers would be prepared to "tolerate" that. Anyway....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Turbo Exhaust - early Christmas Present