Old 09-03-2012, 09:40 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by raclaims
I nearly sold my 07 for the same reasons
Then modded it
Now it's terrific
Great list of cars, do you still own them? What mods did you make and how did they change your mind? BTW, I looked into a Bentley GT Speed, how do you like it?
Old 09-03-2012, 10:12 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

you ask me, the black series sucks.
steering feel is nonexistant, autotragic transmission, too heavy, etc etc. Most overhyped car in the mercedes line up.

997TT is a better performance car from the word go....GT3s...even better.

Go drive an GT3 RS and see what you think. It would run absolute circles around the black series in every way.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:39 AM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

to the OP, I know what you mean. My weekend toy car for the past year had been a 1965 shelby cobra replica with a 427 cu in engine pumping out 520hp and 510ft-lbs of torque. It had endless low end torque and was a raw as you can get. Your BS has a big engine with tons of low end torque as well

Now when I was out hunting for TT I test drove my first 07 TT 6-speed and I hated. I was cruising in 3rd gear doing 30 mph, smashed the pedal and nothing. felt slow and unresponsive where my cobra would have thrown me back in my seat and screamed like a banshee. I left the dealership dejected and thinking to myself what's all the fuss with these 911 turbos, they're not that impressive.

After sleeping on it I thought to myself how in the world is porsche producing 500 hp and 500 ft-lbs of torque out of a 3.6 liter engine? I need to drive this again and went back to the dealership. This time I tried some pulls in 1st and 2nd and 3rd and right away noticed the car really kicks you in the seat above 3200 rpm. In 1st and 2nd you can feel the power throughout the rpm band but in 3rd and above I had to keep it above 3200rpm to have that power on demand. Now once I figured that out and realized that with a smaller engine with massive turbos the experience is going to be different than driving a massive V8. With a big V8 you can cheat a little because the size of the engine will allow you to pull in high gear and low rpm. With the TT you have to work for it a little more by downshift and keeping the RPMs above 3000 in 3rd-6th but the power is there. With that in mind the car is an absolute monster to drive and I went straight back and bought the car

I've had my 07 TT for 2 weeks and it is intoxicating. it is not raw as you stated but it is brutally fast when driven properly. Going from 35 to 100 when entering the freeway is instantaneous as long as you keep those rpms in the appropriate range and work those downshifts

Sorry for the long post, but you need to start driving your TT like a 3.6L 500 hp 500 ft-lb Twin Turbo and not like a high powered massive V8. Once you adjust to the different driving style you'll fall in love with this beast.

Good Luck
Art
Old 09-03-2012, 12:45 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

I would agree 100% on this. It's not a 'mash it 1st gear out of the gate’ car but instead get the revs up in 2nd and 3rd, and hang on. I've had mine for less than a week of driving and I'm still getting to know it. It revs so fast I've hit the limiter in 2nd a couple of times so you have to be really be conscious of where you are and how fast it hits the 6400 rpm limit. In comparison to my C2S it's heavier, stiffer gearbox and more work, but more fun. It's a beast.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:16 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you have a Tip, what about a PDK car? Also i see that you had a Zr1, what about a new one? w/ about 8-10k of mods the vette can be what your looking for. GL
Old 09-03-2012, 04:33 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kosmo
you have a Tip, what about a PDK car? Also i see that you had a Zr1, what about a new one? w/ about 8-10k of mods the vette can be what your looking for. GL
Yes, mine is a Tiptronic S. I test drove a 6-speed before buying this one and as noted earlier by other posters was not overly impressed. Perhaps it was the car itself (high miles), I'm not sure, but I did buy my 24k mile car a few days later (6 mos. ago) on a rainy day (mistake!) without opening it up. Since then I've pushed it hard several times on dry pavement and was still not too impressed. That said, I really need to test a TTS (with standard PDK) and I've located and called on a local GT2 RS before I pass further judgement.

BTW, I test drove a 2011 Z06. Although I liked it and it is a monster, I didn't like the loss of forward visibility and the cheap interior.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:36 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
you ask me, the black series sucks.
steering feel is nonexistant, autotragic transmission, too heavy, etc etc. Most overhyped car in the mercedes line up.

997TT is a better performance car from the word go....GT3s...even better.

Go drive an GT3 RS and see what you think. It would run absolute circles around the black series in every way.
Have you ever driven a BS? Anyway, I'm looking for a local GT2/3 RS and hope that will solve my dilemma (just not happy with my current TT).
Old 09-03-2012, 05:08 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

new Viper?
Old 09-03-2012, 10:13 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 152 Posts

I owned a 11 GT3 RS. It's raw but not an animal. I also owned a 599. It's an animal in a straight line. Try a 458. It's an animal.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:41 PM
Marshy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4ocious
Have you ever driven a BS? Anyway, I'm looking for a local GT2/3 RS and hope that will solve my dilemma (just not happy with my current TT).

Old 09-04-2012, 05:59 AM
bumperpip
Track Day

"The Black Edition is a special road/race model"?!? Really? Specifically, what "race" please? Due respect to the AMG steroid motor, the car is nothing more than a boulevardier boy racer. "Special road/race model" indeed. By the way, I looked and looked, and have not been able to find the "cantilevered" engine mounting system you cited. Must have checked the wrong end of the car.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:31 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Not directed at you bumperpip but I wanted to say this before and now your remarks just makes me want to post.

Everybody has different views on what a car is and how it feels. There is nothing wrong with that , if the OP feels his former CLK is a better, faster car than a 997 turbo than I accept that.

I also can understand why, I used to own big V8's with lots of low end torque and this feeling can be addictive and missed. This low end torque might create a feeling of a 'more powerful' car.

We all know a 997 turbo is faster, compare the official data and it is obvious. But it is his 'feeling' that counts. It's him behind the wheel and he needs to feel happy about it. I see nothing wrong with that and it makes sense to me that he 'defends' (for lack of a better word) his reasoning.

I do not think a GT3RS or even GT2 will solve his problem. These big V8's with that massive low end torque are in a different league. Not a better one , just different and if that is what you crave than no other car will do imo.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:14 AM
bumperpip
Track Day

993S-Appreciate your view, and frankly, I share your thoughts. My sarcasm was actually directed at the gentleman with the wealth of mis-information about both the Black Edition AND 997TT/GT3/GT3RS/GT2 etc. You are absolutely right-few automotive experiences will ever match V8 massive torque, accompanied by the incomparable big v8 sound track. But, honestly, "Special road/race model" and "cantilevered engine" were just more than I could stomach in one paragraph. Righteous indignation got the better of me. Happy Motoring to all.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:05 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

With the exception of my 89 P-944T and 82 P-930 I've always owned large displacement, high horsepower V-8's with lots of torque. One of the comments earlier caused me to sit back and remember my TT is a "true sports car" and not a V-8 torque monster. I think that's where the difference and my problem is; I had lost sight of that reality. I "expect" my TT to act and perform like a large V-8 and quite frankly, it can't because it wasn't designed that way. I've come to realize there is a huge behavorial and performance difference between the two and I'm now trying very hard to accept that. I'm going to re-evaluate my TT owner/driver experience in the coming weeks to see if I can change my disappointment into enthusiasm. If not, then I'll try something else that satisfies the inner performance beast in me.

BTW, yes the BS is approximately 1 second slower from 0-60 than a 997 with a tiptronic. And it may not handle as well, but it's still a great unique niche car in it's own right and unless you've owned and tracked one like I have for three years don't be too judgemental.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:17 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

I got my first taste of MB monster torque with the 1970 300SEL 6.3, 443 lbs ft but in a heavy car.

Wife has a '07 CLK 550, a fraction of the Black Series I wanted, but she's happy with her car.

As noted about the TT, nothing happens below 3K rpm. Inherent turbo lag, cured to my satisfaction with the Europipe. Raw enough without throwing more money at mods.

These cars are so hard to compare, I would just have one of each and be done.

Quick Reply: I'm Disappointed in My TT