Sponsored by:

CPO Warranties

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 10:44 PM
Z06Kevin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CPO Warranties

I am purchasing a Porsche tomorrow - and the car has a CPO warranty with the current owner. Do CPO warranties carry over with the car?

Also - noticed that PPI inspections are not done by dealerships anymore.

Any tips on what to look for when inspecting a 2007 Porsche TT? What ways are there to pull codes from the ODB link? Can that be done, and if so - what do I look for?
Old 11-03-2011, 09:04 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06Kevin
I am purchasing a Porsche tomorrow - and the car has a CPO warranty with the current owner. Do CPO warranties carry over with the car?

Any tips on what to look for when inspecting a 2007 Porsche TT? What ways are there to pull codes from the ODB link? Can that be done, and if so - what do I look for?
CPO from a private party deal can be transferred, not though if purchased from a dealer. I wouldn't buy without a PPI - let folks know where you're located and I'm sure you'll get some local suggestions. And read this:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...sed-997tt.html
Old 11-03-2011, 05:27 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06Kevin

My info is a private purchase, buying the car from a private owner, the CPO warranty can be transferred. There's a small fee for this, IIRC. Check out the Porsche web site there's a link there that will take you to the CPO fine print.

Be sure you get something official that the car does indeed have a CPO warranty (not just a dealer 'CPO' warranty but one backed by Porsche) and that you do what is necessary to get it transferred.

The warranty is lost if the car is not sold privately unless the 'sale' is a trade-in to a Porsche dealer.

Some dealers do PPIs. Some do not.

To read the DME and look for any error codes, pull the overrev counters and so on requires you take the car to a shop with a PIWIS. Porsche dealers have these in their service department. I'm not sure indy shops have these system, yet.

What to look for? Well, first and foremost the car is just a used car so a thorough used car checkout will (should) turn up anything of concern.

I always recommend the engine be started dead cold and one gives the engine a long time to idle/warmup and all the while listen to the engine for any abnormal sounds.

Couple of things: Be sure the A/C is off. And be sure you observe all the warning lights come on then go off as the engine is started. You want to pay particular attention that the CEL comes on then goes off. But all warning lights are important that they come on and go off when they should.

After a suitable time (10+ minutes or more of idling) arrange to have the seller take you on a test ride. The route should allow you to experience the car as a passenger in a variety of driving scenarios. Oh, the distance should be 15 miles or so.

Observe the engine oil pressure gage and the battery voltage gage for any readings out of the ordinary at cold idle, warm and hot idle and at other times.

Back at the starting point you take the car out as a driver and follow the same route and drive the car the same way.

You want to give the engine/car time to manifest any problems, the DME time to flag any engine error codes, or other system controllers to flag any error codes, time for any fluids to leak, and so on.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:39 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

If you are in Phoenix, take the car to Evolution Motorsports and let Todd and the team take a look - they would be great for a PPI before you plunk down the dough. Tell them I sent you.

Get all the paperwork on the CPO to find out what is required, what is covered, etc. Then decide.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 11-04-2011, 09:30 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

and please don't let the monkeys at Knopf Porsche in Allentown,PA do a PPI as they have no friggen clue about a PPI not to mention they won't stand behind their work either

Ask me how i know

Quick Reply: CPO Warranties