Sponsored by:

Oil Change/Service Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 07:11 PM
997Turbo
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil Change/Service Question

I have a 2007 Turbo with 5600 miles. I bought the car 2 years ago with only 1800 miles on it. When I bought the car, I had the oil changed at a Porsche dealership and also had a brake fluid flush. I have put 3800 miles on the car since then. Do I need to change the oil since it has been two years or am I OK for a while? The car is driven on weekends and is not a daily driver. I figured I would get the next oil change at around 10,000 miles. Thanks for any advice on this
Old 10-03-2011, 10:43 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

For one thing you should drive the car more. And yes, I would recommend changing the oil every 4 months in your case to get rid of unwanted deposits. Letting it sit and only driving on the weekends isn't heathy for the engine. So go out there and try and put more miles on a wonderful car. I have my oil changed at least two to three times per year. Yes I know it may be over kill, but in the long run it will be better for the engine, vavles and cylinders.

Jay
Old 10-04-2011, 08:51 AM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 47 Posts

I suggest at least once a year or if you drive more every 5k miles.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:21 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by 997Turbo
I have a 2007 Turbo with 5600 miles. I bought the car 2 years ago with only 1800 miles on it. When I bought the car, I had the oil changed at a Porsche dealership and also had a brake fluid flush. I have put 3800 miles on the car since then. Do I need to change the oil since it has been two years or am I OK for a while? The car is driven on weekends and is not a daily driver. I figured I would get the next oil change at around 10,000 miles. Thanks for any advice on this
Up to you -- or the service schedule in the owners manual -- but I'd advise you to have the oil/filter changed at least every year, unless you cover enough miles to have the oil changed more often on miles.

Engines that are not used much and when used are used for short trips can accumulate considerable moisture and unburned fuel in the oil. These are by-products of combustion and normal.

The water and combustion by-products will form corrosive compounds.

The oil has additives that help fight these corrosives but over time the additive package can get depleted so protection drops.

Whenever the engine is shut off the oil begins to stratify with the water/corrosive fluid forming a layer everywhere oil puddles. In the oil sump/tank and everywhere in the engine. In the oil sump/tank this is relatively harmless but in the zero-lash valve lifters this corrosive fluid -- acid -- can eat away at the lifter mechanism which can lead to problems later on, premature problems.

The only way to eliminate this acid build up is to drain the old oil and replace with fresh oil.

Also, a brake fluid flush/bleed is called for every 2 years regardless of miles driven.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:34 PM
997Turbo
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for your advice on this. I went ahead and got a fresh oil change at my local Porsche dealer. Guess I will get into the habit of getting an oil change once a year, regardless of mileage. I received a 20% off coupon from the dealership a week before so it came in handy

Quick Reply: Oil Change/Service Question