Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Porsche Car - Considering 2007/2008 Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 11:25 PM
Kathuat
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default First Porsche Car - Considering 2007/2008 Turbo?

I am considering buying my first Porsche car. I don't want to spend more than $80K on the purchase. I am thinking of either getting a brand new C2/C2S or a CPO 2007/2008 turbo?

Couple of questions I have been thinking about:

1. As I said that I have never owned a Porsche before - Is the Porsche turbo too much of a car for a first time owner to handle? I mean in terms of power and safety?

2. Is it better to buy a brand new Porsche rather than a turbo in terms of on-going maintenance of the car? Is the maintenance on a Porsche turbo much higher than a regular Porsche?

3. I am inclined to buy a CPO car so that i have some protection for the first few years on the car? Is 80K a realistic number for a high quality 2007/2008 turbo?

4. The 2007/2008 turbo doesn't come with bluetooth and ipod integration. How hard is to buy after market parts and get the car retrofitted with those capabilities. Does the aftermarket system work well?

5. Any other considerations I should be thinking about as I embark on making this purchase?

Your help and input is much appreciated. Looking forward (one-day hopefully soon!) to join this knowledgable community of Porsche owners.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:33 AM
Porscheholic
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

No way will you find a new C2 or C2S for $80,000. I believe that is the MSRP for a base C2 with zero options. Don't think you will find one of those.

My 2007 997 Turbo has been bullet-proof, and you can purchase what was a $140,000 car for $80,000 or less. No, they are not too much to handle - they have plenty of nanny devices to keep you on the pavement.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:44 PM
Cartronics.com
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can answer to #4, as I am an engineer and product developer for the fiber optic sound system in a Porsche. The Bluetooth and iPod integration is very easy on 2008 and previous 997/996 Porsche (as well as Cayenne, Boxter, etc) Just one box, plugs in, everything is active
Old 06-28-2011, 06:07 AM
drvik
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kathuat
I am considering buying my first Porsche car. I don't want to spend more than $80K on the purchase. I am thinking of either getting a brand new C2/C2S or a CPO 2007/2008 turbo?

Couple of questions I have been thinking about:

1. As I said that I have never owned a Porsche before - Is the Porsche turbo too much of a car for a first time owner to handle? I mean in terms of power and safety?

2. Is it better to buy a brand new Porsche rather than a turbo in terms of on-going maintenance of the car? Is the maintenance on a Porsche turbo much higher than a regular Porsche?

3. I am inclined to buy a CPO car so that i have some protection for the first few years on the car? Is 80K a realistic number for a high quality 2007/2008 turbo?

4. The 2007/2008 turbo doesn't come with bluetooth and ipod integration. How hard is to buy after market parts and get the car retrofitted with those capabilities. Does the aftermarket system work well?

5. Any other considerations I should be thinking about as I embark on making this purchase?

Your help and input is much appreciated. Looking forward (one-day hopefully soon!) to join this knowledgable community of Porsche owners.
Wow.. you don't know how lucky you are that you can even consider something like a 911 turbo as your first porsche... here in australia a 2011 turbo is nearly $400,000 without options (and our dollar > your dollar)...!

I have just recently upgraded from a 2007 Boxster S to a 2007 turbo... and while I will always love my Boxster because it was my first porsche and is still a brilliant car, the turbo just blows me away.... the great thing about all new generation porsches in my opinion is the Porsche Stability Management which is basically a driver aid/traction control thingie that always keeps you safe, so you can basically have your fun and not worry too much... so I believe a turbo will not be too much car for you to handle... when you are cruising around, it just feels like a nice big solid car that is easy to get around in (and people look!)... but when the boost comes on, watch out... the straight line performance will have you grinning from ear to ear... you will look for any opportunity to find a straight bit of road and unleash hell Don't forget the turbo has all wheel drive so it has more grip than the C2 or C2S...

in terms of CPO, which I believe is warranty, I bought a car with one because it gives me peace of mind, but I have to be careful with modifications... I check everything with my dealer before embarking... if you want peace of mind then pay the money

Bluetooth and ipod integration is easy these days as there are a few options... I know cartronics has already answered, but I can only speak for the gear I have which is the mobridge (which I believe is fairly similar)... basically, the bluetooth mimics the phone module which you may already have in the car anyway and works flawlessly, including muting any music thats playing (like the ipod) and being able to control the volume of the phone call using the multifunction steering wheel if you have one... the ipod is also fairly easy the exception being that it mimics the CD changer, so the interface isn't quite as intuitive but it works nevertheless...

In my opinion, if you can get it, then go for the turbo and enjoy life...

drvik
Old 06-28-2011, 09:43 PM
ELMEL
Instructor

My first Porsche was a 2005 Turbo S. No regrets. One of the best decisions I ever made. It has turned my daily commute into something I enjoy every day. As far as power: you'll love the torque; it's addictive. Re safety, as with all other rear-engine cars, you just have to be careful when you get nervous in corners; don't lift!

I don't have anything to compare to in Porsche land. I bought mine CPO with 13k miles on it. I've had no major problems with the car, and having the CPO warranty is great. For a supercar, the Turbo is cheap to maintain. And make no mistake, the Turbo is a supercar.

Have you considered a 2009 with PCM3? It's a nice step forward. If you go for it, try to get one with XM because it's the XM subscription that supplies traffic data to the Nav system, which supports dynamic re-routing.

Do it. Do it now.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:02 PM
Kathuat
Advanced

What about maintenance costs of a 911 turbo in comparison to a regular 911 or 911S? I have someone locally that is selling a 2007 911 turbo. The car is not certified. I want to make sure I know what I am getting into.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:37 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Everyone will tell you the the 996 or 997 turbo is bullet proof. The 996 and 997.1 (911s) you might have issues with IMS.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:59 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a few questions for you, no disrespect intended.
Are you comfortable handling a 500HP car? Have you driven such powerful cars before?
How old are you?
How many years have you been driving?

I repeat no disrespect intended, but when you are asking whether you should get a turbo or a n/a car, I need to know the above before I answer. A turbo is a wild car, and although many may consider it a point and shoot machine, which I admit it is, it is not to be taken lightly by an inexperienced driver. Same goes for a non turbo 997. Be sure you know what you are getting into. Affording a car doesnt mean you can drive it. I would suggest whatever you get, you get involved with some track days or Porsche drivers training...
Old 06-29-2011, 09:42 PM
Kathuat
Advanced

Thanks for those questions dianic. I never thought that might be relevant. I am 41 years old and have been driving since I was 18. I am a family man - currently have 2 kids. I have been driving the same car for the last 13 years. I bought a brand new Lexus GS300 in 1998 which I currently own. The car has about 220 HP which was pretty good at that time. My wife has a regular minivan - Honda Odyssey. I have always admired Porsche's but having responsibility for a young family never allowed me to buy one. Now the kids are grown (~9 year old) - I think I need to buy a nice car. You are right - I have never owned anything as powerful as a "Turbo". I like to buy high quality things and own them for a long time. That is why, I was trying to evaluate my options - a 4 year old 911 turbo or maybe a brand new C2. I want to buy a car that I will like, will be reliable and easy to maintain while being fun. I am hoping I can own this car for a long time (15 years). I would initially like to use the car as a daily driver. My commute to work is about 25 miles round trip. i am not envisioning using the car at track at least for now but might change my mind when I own something as capable as a Porsche Turbo. i was hoping that with the experience, guidance and counsel of the members on this board - I will be able to make a right decision. i would hate to buy a 911 C2 and then realize after a few years that Turbo is the one I wanted and then have to take a financial hit and trade the care for a Turbo. Hope, this provides more context so that you can provide an answer. Thanks for everyone's contribution and help.

Last edited by Kathuat; 06-29-2011 at 09:46 PM. Reason: More content and corrections
Old 06-29-2011, 09:55 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Bottom line, you need to test drive an NA and a Turbo and decide. My 2c: coming from a lexus GS I am pretty sure an 997s will be more than plenty for you ~385HP on ~3100 pounds is VERY impressive.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:02 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

I am 41 years old.
I am a family man - currently have 2 kids.
I have always admired Porsche's but having responsibility for a young family never allowed me to buy one.

a 4 year old 911 turbo or maybe a brand new C2.

daily driver.

i would hate to buy a 911 C2 and then realize after a few years that Turbo is the one I wanted and then have to take a financial hit and trade the car for a Turbo.
That there is the most important reason.

Took me some editing, but you have answered your question.

20 years and about 330K miles ago I bought my first of 3 Porsches at age 44.

Today's Porsche with many traction controls is a tame beast compared to my first 911, but you can still get in trouble.

I always spend the first 10K miles on each Porsche slowly dialing it up.

If you do the same you will be fine.

Get the Turbo. Life is short.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:30 AM
ELMEL
Instructor

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
Get the Turbo. Life is short.
I'm with Terry.

I've owned my Turbo for four years now and I've driven (though not owned) nearly every other current model Porsche. The Turbo is absolutely addictive. After living with it for four years, I don't see how I could ever own anything slower. Well, until I'm ready to surrender to old age, at which time I think a Cayenne or Panamera will be in the cards.

To be clear, I do believe that all Porsches, 911s and otherwise, are very respectable cars. My wife owns a Boxster, and I think it's an incredibly balanced car with a magical suspension; I love driving it. But if you get off on being catapulted from zero to anything at chiropractor-supporting speeds, then get the Turbo. And don't let anyone tell you that you can't "use" the power on a daily basis. You most certainly can. I "enjoy" mine every single day.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:18 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

If you cant get a new TT with PDK ThenThis is a big dilemma. I havent driven a 997 TT yet. I know if I could have a 997.2 TT PDK I would buy it sight unseen, no nada nothing. It HAS to be a rocket ship.

I dont know what Porscheholic has done in the buying arena lately but if Porsche has their trunk money program on like when I was buying in 2009, and I bet you could get a 2011 under the same program, I got my 2009 Carrera S PDK for 78k PLUS taxes and license. Porsche was/is hurting like everyone else so they throw upwards of 10K and more at dealer cars that have sat on the lot for 60 to 90 days. Mine was a 60 day car and I did my deal of whatever it was the PLUS $10k OFF that which was around $78K Before tax and license. I hear thoes programs are still around.

Now I dont know how fast a 997.1 TT is but my 997.2 PDK with launch control is faster than a 993 TT and a 996 TT. ONE 996 example is not a great sample but still the TT owner was driving my car the 09 PDK S with sport chrono and everytime my car shifted it gained 10 feet, till at 120 we were a car length ahead. I was going to by a 2008 GT3 RS until I drove a new 2009 C2S PDK and it blew my mind. BUT the world is open now and the 997.2 PDK is faster than my GT3s and handles fantastic.
I have the Sharkwerk by pass on it and it sounds great too.

BUt no matterwhat the new 9A1 motor and the PDK make a great pair.
The 997.2 is perfectly balanced and just a wonderful car. Drive both and see what you think. I have heard even the 6 speed 997.2 TT is just a bat out of hell.
My choice would be a 997.2 PDK C2S vs a 997 TT, and that is my quick observation either way you cant lose.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:05 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for your answers. I didnt mean to be nosy, but I couldnt get myself to advise a 23 year old with cash to burn to get a turbo! Doesnt sit right.

i would hate to buy a 911 C2 and then realize after a few years that Turbo is the one I wanted and then have to take a financial hit and trade the care for a Turbo..
In any case, I was going to suggest that you ease into it, get a used normally aspirated (n/a) car, and grow into the turbo. But your statement above means that you have seen that prospect, and have done the reading so you want to pass that lesson without sitting in class for it. Good for you. Your statement above summarizes exactly what would have happened in a few years.

I wont spin off into a spiral as to which transmission to prefer and which is better or not. The 997.1 turbo in Tiptronic guise which is the version I have, and the famous GT1 engine block is a heck of a car, and when it came out in 2007 it took the world by storm. It is still a mighty car, and it will certainly keep me content for the next 15 years, as it should you as well. Yes, there is an iteration of the same car with a different engine and tranny which was released 3-4 years later, and it is obviously an improvement, and a mighty car in itself, but at a significantly higher price. If you are on a budget, go for a 07TT. It will keep you smiling and you will never look back, for the next 15 years.

Alternatively, test drive both, and get the turbo. The end result will be the same! However, the test drive will also give you peace of mind that you are making the right choice. Let me add that in my C4S a few years ago the tiptronic admittedly was a weak point... in the turbo I dont think I care, the g's are so high I have developed plaster smile, I even consider it intelligent sometimes.

Good luck. The search is like courting. Cherish it...
Old 07-03-2011, 01:46 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Dianic, There is NO question that the GT1 motor in the 2007 Twin turbo is a great historic, grand, bulletproof expandable in any configuration. The Normally aspirated GT3s or the Turbo'd example. Its a great motor to have, thats why I think the 996 TT is just a STEAL for the prices you can get one at. $40K range for the motor that is worth that almost by itself. I heard the GT3 replacement motor is around $45 K back in the 997.1 GT3 days. But that motor is long in the tooth, getting to be lets say 20 years old if you count the 964 days. The first GT3s had the 996 GT3 motor on it that had a 964 part number for the crankcase halves. It wasnt till late in the 997.1 GT3 days the crankcases were starting to be bought from a caster in Spain and they carried the 997 part number finally. My 997.1 GT3 still had the 964 part#.
But lets start giving Porsche some credit. After the 996 motor debacle they
wanted a new motor that is supposed to be the base for everything they do from now on. The 9A1 has 40% less parts than the GT1 based motor does. That means higher reliability if nothing else. AND its one thing to put it in the carrera line and say that its a high performance motor, its totally another to back that up and to put it in the Flagship (debatable) of the entire 911 line.
Lets face it, there are lots of people who have no idea what the GT line is all about, but most everyone knows about the Turbo. Even this young buyer who is getting his first Porsche KNOWS what the Turbo is. So for Porsche to put this motor this car shows one of two things. Either the new management and engineering in Porsche (Who I believe is more PORSCHE driven as opposed to being bottom line driven like Widenking) is supremely confident in this new motor, that it is MUCH better than the KING of Porsche flat 6's the GT1, OR they are making a bet on fooling the Porsche faithful with a counterfeit low cost motor that will fool drivers into believing that we have the same thing as before. I have placed a 100K bet on the former, and after two years, I dont have one complaint, other than I kinda miss my aero package from my previous GT3s.
Then when you consider the pairing of this motor with the PDK I just feel its a home run. Really after a 993TT, a MONSTER Manthey GT3, and a beautiful 997.1 GT3, I am content and going on my longest stint with one 911 getting to 2 years in the next week or two. I am still flabbergasted with this car and ITS a REGULAR CARRERA!!!!! Its AMAZING!
So drive a C2S like several here have mentioned and TRYOUT the PDK EVEN if you are stone cold set against it JUST SO YOU KNOW your desicion is right by you no matter which you choose.
But a C2S wont be a bad choice and might be a GOOD choice for your first car.
Having said all that in the most verbose manner I can muster, the 2007,8 TT is a GREAT car PERIOD.
I just drool at the idea of the 9A1 Twin Turbo with the PDK. HAS to be the worlds best drivable supercar right now. Capable of DD and going to the market with or for your wife or thrashing your corvette friends at the track

Quick Reply: First Porsche Car - Considering 2007/2008 Turbo?