Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket LED tailights

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 04:48 AM
avader906
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mainly 2 brands. Rottec and Dectane (both made in Asia). Rotec lights are different to OEM 997.2 and Dectane more similar. It's the question of taste and colors. Both are simple to swap (open the hood, undo the screws, disconnect the harness, take lights out, put new in, connect the harness, do the screws, close the hood). First time would probably take 10-15min, mostly looking for correct screwdriver. Common mistake is not to connect the harness properly (it has to give a faint click). Videos/pictures of both are over the internet. Both originally had some issues with resistors not to trigger light faults on the dash. Both brands resolved these issues long time ago. Disadvantage is around 3lbs more weight from LED assemblies vs OEM. But then OEM 997.2 LED lights are also heavier. To mount 997.2 OEM you have to change the rear bumper.

As a side note, latest pictures of the upcoming new 911 model (991) to be presented in September has the rear light shape of 997.1

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/.../photo_02.html

Note how the front bumper now has turbo like LED lights and 918 like front splitter.

It's been few months since I've had my lights (dectane) installed. I am happy (though i went for smoked/clear lights - i think they go well with GT Silver color).
Old 07-20-2011, 04:19 AM
nine-eleven911
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by avader906
mainly 2 brands. Rottec and Dectane (both made in Asia). Rotec lights are different to OEM 997.2 and Dectane more similar. It's the question of taste and colors. Both are simple to swap (open the hood, undo the screws, disconnect the harness, take lights out, put new in, connect the harness, do the screws, close the hood). First time would probably take 10-15min, mostly looking for correct screwdriver. Common mistake is not to connect the harness properly (it has to give a faint click). Videos/pictures of both are over the internet. Both originally had some issues with resistors not to trigger light faults on the dash. Both brands resolved these issues long time ago. Disadvantage is around 3lbs more weight from LED assemblies vs OEM. But then OEM 997.2 LED lights are also heavier. To mount 997.2 OEM you have to change the rear bumper.

As a side note, latest pictures of the upcoming new 911 model (991) to be presented in September has the rear light shape of 997.1

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/.../photo_02.html

Note how the front bumper now has turbo like LED lights and 918 like front splitter.

It's been few months since I've had my lights (dectane) installed. I am happy (though i went for smoked/clear lights - i think they go well with GT Silver color).
Thanks Avader906,

Im probably going for the Dectane brand.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:31 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

I went with the Rotec one and they work really well. Good LED alignment, and nicer than the 997.2 LEDs in that the turn signal LEDs are yellow--I believe factory 997.2 turn signals are red LEDs. No fogging issues or codes being thrown.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:59 AM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A couple of months ago I ordered for a friend here in Greece the dectane lights (customs and all that is so much easier within the EU!). I have a set of the Rotec lights, so while installing the new ones to my friends car, it was a good chance to get some side by side shots. Quality is lacking, but I only had the berry to take pics with.

As far as installation goes, I will say that the Dectane lights are easier to install, you only unclip the harness whereas Rotec lights you connect to each bulb. Also the Dectane lights leave a smaller gap between light and fender.

All in all its a good product. I just have aesthetic concerns with the brake light pattern leaving the corners open when applying the brakes (one side is the fog light). I prefer the Rotec light which lights up the whole triangle.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:26 AM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These are the Dectane version from Germany. Beautiful fit and finish. Looks OE quality.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:49 AM
DS997S
2nd Gear

1) any warning lights?
2) does the rear fog continue to work?
3) Condensation issues?
4) Finally where did you buy them ?

Thanks!
Old 12-01-2011, 11:04 PM
slawus
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Dectane-have them on my car for over two months without any problems ,installation is a piece of cake and fog light work also check good old ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dectane-Pors...item1c2180a40f
Old 12-02-2011, 04:18 PM
rrm
Advanced

what is the exhaust?...rrm
Old 03-04-2012, 09:12 AM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Ok I am a convert.
I just installed today my Dectane lights, replacing the Rotecs which I sold a few weeks ago to a member from Sweden. He got a sweet deal money wise.

Although the Rotec's have a few things which I find interesting, such as the ever so slight tint on the lenses which went great with my Meteor car, the led reverse light which had a xenon bluish hue to it, and of course they were first to market.

However, we are all after the OEM look, and its only human to find it more aesthetically pleasing sometimes, as it is what we are used to seeing.

So I switched my lights. Here are the pics.
FACTORY

BEFORE: ROTEC

AFTER: DECTANE LIGHTS ON

LIGHTS OFF
Old 03-04-2012, 11:14 AM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks great Nick... have you changed out the front? When did you sell the Caynne?
Old 03-04-2012, 03:32 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Hey Craig!
I cant believe you still have that German cow on your avatar!!
I sold the Cayenne to buy the TT in August of 2010. I would much rather have a 911 depreciating in my garage, and a turbo non the less, than a school bus! Changed the school bus with a diesel burner, which I am selling as well. Moving to an LPG burning system, on a Cherokee. Fuel is nearing $2.5 per liter and gas is 50% cheaper!
No changes in the front of my car... perhaps I will convert my turn signals to driving lights but not just yet. I think I want to improve my steering wheel first.

;-)
Old 03-04-2012, 03:36 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Apologies I just saw some questions from long ago.
No, zero condensation in both the Rotec's and the Dectanes.
I got the Dectains direct form Germany, as I am located in Europe.
No warning lights with both systems.
Fog lights work in both systems. The Dectanes come with led fogs, the Rotec's have space for a filament bulb, which has to be red. Was easy to source at Ebay.

My exhaust is a Europipe, best money I ever spent on my car. The tips I got from another member on this forum (thanks again Mo) they are maxspeed motorsports, and half the price of the identical item sold from a US exhaust maker. I had the tips ceramic coated in the UK. If you go with them, just one word of advice. Weld the tightening nut before installation. Crucial to do that or they cannot be tightened without removing the bumper!

Again sorry for the delayed response.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:21 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by dianic
Apologies I just saw some questions from long ago.
No, zero condensation in both the Rotec's and the Dectanes.
I got the Dectains direct form Germany, as I am located in Europe.
No warning lights with both systems.
Fog lights work in both systems. The Dectanes come with led fogs, the Rotec's have space for a filament bulb, which has to be red. Was easy to source at Ebay.

My exhaust is a Europipe, best money I ever spent on my car. The tips I got from another member on this forum (thanks again Mo) they are maxspeed motorsports, and half the price of the identical item sold from a US exhaust maker. I had the tips ceramic coated in the UK. If you go with them, just one word of advice. Weld the tightening nut before installation. Crucial to do that or they cannot be tightened without removing the bumper!

Again sorry for the delayed response.
Nice write up Nick....Love the powder work on those tips....I have been dragging my feet on LED waiting for the bugs to be worked out I finally ordered the Decatanes today from Germany....Can hardly wait for them
Old 09-04-2012, 06:05 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Dectane second time around

I had Dectane led's on my previous turbo.
However, I was happy with the red stock lights my current car came with but than I saw pictures of a car with Dectane's red/smoked version.
Got them today and voila, the smoked center works on meteor gray and love it.

Last edited by TT-911; 12-15-2012 at 07:45 AM.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:09 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Well done. Should have done the same thought about it but didn't take the risk.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket LED tailights