Sponsored by:

Advice sought

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 05:45 PM
GT3Fed
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Advice sought

Thinking about purchasing an 07 Turbo with around 20,000 miles. I intend to have a pre-purchase inspection done. Should I be concerned about any issues that may not be disclosed by the PPI.

TIA
Old 02-21-2011, 06:58 PM
sbkim
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You could probably drive yourself insane thinking about all other "issues." Sometimes you just have to take that leap of faith. For me, it was PPI and CPO that put my mind at ease. If possible, see ifyou can get the car certified. Good luck!
Old 02-21-2011, 08:26 PM
GT3Fed
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Follow-up

Thanks, the CPO is not an option.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:37 PM
NJR911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 07 turbo has 18k on it an has been bulletproof. I have wanted to get a new turbo with the pdk but I cannot justify spending the money for new and maybe? improved. If the ppi is good then go for it you will LOVE it!
Old 02-22-2011, 06:35 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3Fed
Thinking about purchasing an 07 Turbo with around 20,000 miles. I intend to have a pre-purchase inspection done. Should I be concerned about any issues that may not be disclosed by the PPI.

TIA
If there are any existing issues that are not disclosed by the PPI the PPI was not done properly.

What a PPI can't do is see in the future, which is what I think you're really concerned about.

All you have to go on is the general history of the model. There are issues that will (or can) arise over time and miles driven (mainly miles driven).

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:00 PM
Steamboat
Instructor

Make sure to request a DME over rev report as part of the PPI. That should alert you to any historical abuse the motor has sustained. Best,
Old 02-23-2011, 03:59 PM
DINOROCZ
Instructor

get a vehicle that has a cpo, my 07 had a silly little (ha) problem with the passenger front seat. The airbag light was on saying the airbag is off when nobody was in the seat, it was just a sensor for the seat, but that little problem would have cost me over $2400, insane no?

A cpo is priceless if you ask me. Something small like the above example is a perfect reason.

Good luck in your search and get ready to own one of the best things ever created.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:29 PM
sbkim
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

One thing I willl note is that some dealers will CPO a privately owned car. Basically involes the private seller selling the car to the dealer. Dealer CPO'ing and then selling it to you. I think it cost me extra $2k or so to do this, inclusive of PPI.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:11 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by DINOROCZ
get a vehicle that has a cpo, my 07 had a silly little (ha) problem with the passenger front seat. The airbag light was on saying the airbag is off when nobody was in the seat, it was just a sensor for the seat, but that little problem would have cost me over $2400, insane no?

A cpo is priceless if you ask me. Something small like the above example is a perfect reason.

Good luck in your search and get ready to own one of the best things ever created.
Good advice. I bought an 03 Turbo with 10K miles a year ago last June and it came with a CPO warranty (the 'new/improved' variety of CPO) of 2 years, 100K miles. I didn't think I'd need it but I wanted it for the peace of mind.

Glad I had the CPO. All ok up to around 30K-35K miles then the transmission (6-speed) developed a leak. Transmission replaced. A serpentine belt idler because noisy. Idler replaced. Coolant cap leaked. Replaced. Radiator fan shaft snapped and radiator and radiator motor/hub/blade assembly replaced. Clutch accumulator went out and a few weeks later the clutch slave cylinder started leaking. Both replaced.

Had I had to pay for those repairs out of pocket I would have spent close to $15K. (The replacement transmission by itself would have cost approx. $9K for the transmission and $1K for the R&R.)

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:18 PM
lefos
1st Gear

Good evening,
I am new to the forum. I am writing from Greece and I am a proud owner of a 2008 Meteor Grey 997
TT. Yesterday, when cleaning the car, I noticed a code (16 09) on the floor pan of the boot, under the tyre repair
kit. At first I thought it was a code that had something to do with the production date of the
pan. However my car was produced in June 2008.
Could you please inform me of what that code means? The floor pan part number is: 997 501 579 00. Also, could someone please check their car and tell me what their car's floor pan code is?

Thank you!!
Old 10-06-2011, 09:41 AM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kalos irthes!
I suggest you start a new thread with your question.
This is an amazing place, with lots of good info, which you can also access by using the search tool.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:39 PM
Tides
7th Gear

[QUOTE=DINOROCZ;8326687]get a vehicle that has a cpo, my 07 had a silly little (ha) problem with the passenger front seat. The airbag light was on saying the airbag is off when nobody was in the seat, it was just a sensor for the seat, but that little problem would have cost me over $2400, insane no?

I thought the air bag sign was supposed to be on when there is no weight on the seat. Passenger in seat activates the air bag circuitry and light remains off ?
Old 10-06-2011, 05:00 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

[quote=Tides;8925745]
Originally Posted by DINOROCZ

I thought the air bag sign was supposed to be on when there is no weight on the seat. Passenger in seat activates the air bag circuitry and light remains off ?
IIRC, the warning light is not illuminated if the seat is empty or if someone is sitting in the seat - and then the airbag is on. If you put some weight on the seat (briefcase, etc.) the warning light comes on and says something like "Airbag is OFF". I think this is to protect against having the airbag active if there is a child in the front seat. I'll have to try it tonight and see if I remembered correctly.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:34 PM
Ari 997TT
Instructor

You're correct. The most common front seat "passenger" in my car is my briefcase and the light always goes on when it's there. When people are in the seat or when it's empty, the light is off, meaning the airbag is active. I wonder what the threshold is though for children, because my 12 year old daughter who is definitely tall enough but weighs only about 80 lbs sits in the front from time to time and the light stays off.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:42 PM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Will Porsche still do a CPO on a car that was made in 07?? Or is there a time limit??

Quick Reply: Advice sought