Sponsored by:

997.2 strange noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 11:23 PM
trail 70
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.2 strange noise

Just took delivery of an 11 turbo 6 speed on saturday. After I start the car I immediately hear what sounds like a vacum noise coming from under the drivers side dash. It is not the ABS sound but more like a growl or vacum sound. It would also do it sometimes when I turned the key on but didnt start it. The sound lasts for a second or two. The AC was off. It did it all day sunday every time I started the car and sure enough when I returned it to the dealer on Mon it wouldnt do it. The tec ran an elctrical check as well as the AC system and everything checked out. It hasnt done it since then, but curious to see if anyone else has heard this. Thanks much
Old 11-04-2010, 02:55 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by trail 70
Just took delivery of an 11 turbo 6 speed on saturday. After I start the car I immediately hear what sounds like a vacum noise coming from under the drivers side dash. It is not the ABS sound but more like a growl or vacum sound. It would also do it sometimes when I turned the key on but didnt start it. The sound lasts for a second or two. The AC was off. It did it all day sunday every time I started the car and sure enough when I returned it to the dealer on Mon it wouldnt do it. The tec ran an elctrical check as well as the AC system and everything checked out. It hasnt done it since then, but curious to see if anyone else has heard this. Thanks much
Do the '11's have a secondary air injection pump? If so this can sound like a vacuum (motor) noise, like a Hoover vacuum on in the distance. It should come on only after engine start and then shut off after a minute or so (sometimes less time sometimes a bit longer, depends upon the ambient temperature).

If the engine is warm though the air injection pump should be be turned on.

If the noise sounds more like a vacuum hose-like leak you might be hearing the climate control or heater/AC control moving the heater/AC air flaps into position. Even if the A/C is off these flaps can open over time as the car sits for a while and when you first get in the controls will come alive and re-position the various flaps as per the settings.

That the dealer didn't hear the noise suggests either in the case of the secondary air injection pump it was not coming on or in the case of the heater/AC flaps the car did not sit long enough with the engine off for these flaps to drop open.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:29 PM
trail 70
4th Gear

Thanks Macster. In ur reply u mentioned that if the engine is warm that the air pump would be on? or would it be off? Very informative answer. Best
Old 11-05-2010, 07:32 AM
bosco42
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Just a thought but do yo have ventilated seats ?

When it is on it makes a similar noise.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:02 AM
trail 70
4th Gear

No, just heaters. Thanks

Quick Reply: 997.2 strange noise