Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 01:17 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the amazing thing is that PDK is good enough to even spark a debate like this.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:24 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

I cringe when I keep reading things like 'its a fine automatic, but its still an automatic'.
Jim
Old 08-06-2010, 10:05 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris C.
I have to comment to balance out the rather extremist views here - it's the OP's automobile, for himt to drive and enjoy. I am thankful he's shared his thoughts here as - regardless of whether some arguably arrogant posters think his view of how we wants to enjoy HIS porsche means he has a "thong problem" - he may have helped others make the right choice on their transmission and purchase.

I've driven the PDK and sorry guys have to agree, depending on how you want to enjoy YOUR car in street driving. I am not an luddite or in any way, and have done a fair amount of track driving - for me it is a fine automatic but still an automatic. And one geared and programmed for fuel economy unless you actively push the sport button. This to me dramatically affects my enjoyment of my car, DRIVING it on the street.

I also have to say since I don't get paid to win races, or drive DEs, stealing added seconds per lap isn't really of value to me either if it comes at the expense of tactile fun and intreaction with my car. Given your logic we should all drive Nissan GTRs as its hard to beat their outright performance. But I don't want a video game, I want a car.

All told, driving a 6-speed for some IS what Porsches were meant to be. I sympathize with the OP - If I bought the PDK I'd be trading it now on a 6-speed.
This post started as a inquiry about deposits for a turbo S ....but took a detour in a good direction...keep'em coming.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:12 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to comment to balance out the rather extremist views here - it's the OP's automobile, for himt to drive and enjoy. I am thankful he's shared his thoughts here as - regardless of whether some arguably arrogant posters think his view of how we wants to enjoy HIS porsche means he has a "thong problem" - he may have helped others make the right choice on their transmission and purchase.

I've driven the PDK and sorry guys have to agree, depending on how you want to enjoy YOUR car in street driving. I am not an luddite or in any way, and have done a fair amount of track driving - for me it is a fine automatic but still an automatic. And one geared and programmed for fuel economy unless you actively push the sport button. This to me dramatically affects my enjoyment of my car, DRIVING it on the street.

I also have to say since I don't get paid to win races, or drive DEs, stealing added seconds per lap isn't really of value to me either if it comes at the expense of tactile fun and intreaction with my car. Given your logic we should all drive Nissan GTRs as its hard to beat their outright performance. But I don't want a video game, I want a car.

All told, driving a 6-speed for some IS what Porsches were meant to be. I sympathize with the OP - If I bought the PDK I'd be trading it now on a 6-speed.
By your logic you should be driving a 4 speed with a turbo that doesn't hit at all until 45oorpm and the the tail trades ends. If that's what you want then go buy 3 930's for the same price.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:14 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

ps my original comments were in reference to the guy who hasn't driven the car in 3 weeks, as it sits rotting under a cover, but perhaps you missed that.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:58 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 539 Likes on 283 Posts

Ehall - my comments are not personal, or about you. With all due respect, your comments were making fun of him because he didn't drive it because he was dissappointed with the PDK and felt disconnected with the car.

I am not a purist, I sold a GT3 because it didn't fit with how I like to use my Porsche at this stage of my life. The OP was lamenting that he is dissappointed and cant' get on board the train of thought that says a PDK is better than an automatic.

And no, it doesn't mean that twin turbos are bad, if they improve on the interaction the customer wants. Just that some technology can make you faster but not necessarily make the car more fun or engaging.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:09 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Ehall - my comments are not personal, or about you. With all due respect, your comments were making fun of him because he didn't drive it because he was dissappointed with the PDK and felt disconnected with the car.

I am not a purist, I sold a GT3 because it didn't fit with how I like to use my Porsche at this stage of my life. The OP was lamenting that he is dissappointed and cant' get on board the train of thought that says a PDK is better than an automatic.

And no, it doesn't mean that twin turbos are bad, if they improve on the interaction the customer wants. Just that some technology can make you faster but not necessarily make the car more fun or engaging.
My point is that it cannot do either sitting in the garage.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:07 PM
qirex
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
There are purists and guys who want to go FAST! Which one are you?
I've never heard Hamilton, Schumacher, Button, Alonzo, Massa, etc, complain about going faster, and doing so more efficiently.
If you're dying for a pure sports car, at THIS PRICE POINT, go buy a vintage 935 race car or a 348 GTB or a 993 Twin turbo, or a RUF RT12. then go drive your *** off!

That said, you're about to be passed by a guy with a GT2 or a 997turboS, or even a guy with a 3.0 ltr turbo 951.

Race drivers in 997 gt3 rsr's are NOT driving the standard manual transmission!
They are driving a sequential maual.
All PDK does is remove your ability to destroy your tranny and motor.

It's astounding too me that you guys, with BARRELS of money, would not drive your Porsche for 3 weeks!
There should be a Man law that requires you to surrendor your damned cars!

Further, a Porsche is NOT a Polo shirt, nor a Louis Vuitton BAG, nor a new pair of Ray Ban's.
It's an instrument for speed!
It's a mark of a man who is willing to push his personal limits, on a track! It is a statement of defiance too all that might attempt to curtail personal liberty!

To leave it covered...to rot under cover...to whine about an inability to maximize the system, as a result of some childish, pathetic arrogance; and to then to rail against some restriction of "freedom of choice", is like listening to a super model who was not provided with the specific mineral water, as prescribed within her contract.

It's no damned wonder Porsche decided to build TRUCKS! It all some of you can drive!

If you can afford a 997TS, (AND I CANNOT AFTER 22 YEARS OF HUGE MARINE CORPS PAY!), than you knew what you were getting and need someone to smack you upside the head!
Bitch at the risk of being called either a posuer or a *****. I'm happy to come to your house and say it to your face!

You own one of the three FINEST AUTOMOBILES EVER put on the road, and yet you complain.

It makes you wonder why my country is going down the ****ter.

....wait...no it doesn't.

A Porsche is meant to be driven...and driven HARD!
It IS NOT A STATUS SYMBOL! It is a tool for speed. PERIOD!

Some of you guys apparently need to extricate your thongs from your Kooch slots!
really?

let each enjoy/suffer their own experience and choosing...

Quick Reply: Turbo S