Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who drive their TT in the cold winter north of N.Y. Maine, Boston ect.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 07:52 PM
DLJ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like your c4s pic Sylv911. Are you in Quebec? Makes me glad to be in balmy part of BC where we may see -20C on a rare occasion. Still not good for the banana crop...
Old 11-15-2009, 11:13 PM
Dakota
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive my 09TT all winter in North Dakota. I have Sottozeros on it and they are good on ice and pretty good on snow. In snow that is light, the car can easily handle 8 inches or less if you do not drive too fast. Heavy snow 6 inches or more you have the limiting factor of the front lip/splitter plowing and risking damage. Major snows 10 inches plus I take the Cayenne Turbo with Blizzak LM 22s and 18 inch wheels. In really deep snow or stuck in the CT..yes I have been stuck..you need to turn the PSM off. With snow tires to be great they need to be narrow (like 235s to 255s) and have a deep tread depth so the tread 'cleans'.
Back to the 09TT. In ND a heated garage a must. You cannot park it outside all night in the winter and expect it to start. We get, although fortunately rare, -40F plus major wind giving wind chills approaching -100; driving when it is that cold you need to be creative. Some of you will say it is foolhardy to live here..but that is another discussion (ND has a budget surplus of 2B and there is no recession in western ND where I live). It is really important to make sure the TT has warm oil before shutting off say at work. This necessitates sometimes driving the long way to work..darn have to drive the TT more. It sometimes necessitates, if the car is outside during the day periodic starting. Remote autostarts don't work on manual transmissions (my CT has one and it solves lots of problems).
I had an interesting happening last winter. I parked the TT on a city street with 2 foot snow drifts along the sides from plowing. It was bigtime cold out. I parked as far right as I could..so I was a bit into the drift with my right wheels. After a couple of hours I start the car and put it in 1st gear to move and all hell breaks loose: ABS warning, PSM warning, PASM warning, and TPM warning all come on!! So I call my Porsche mechanic on his cell (need cell as I live 200 miles from the nearest dealer) as it is after hours and he tells me to get oi flatbeded home, put it in the heated garage and in the morning it will be OK. It was: the right front brake pads had frozen to the rotor. A day in the life of a TT driver in ND. lol.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:00 AM
Webtool1
Track Day

I'm thinking about doing the PSS10 upgrade, how is this in cold weather & crappy road surfaces?
Old 11-16-2009, 10:41 PM
Dakota
Track Day

I have PSS9 on my 2006C2S and it worked fine in cold weather. I could not tell the difference between stock and the PSS9 for handling on snow/ice. It is an upgrade for dry surface performance.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:41 PM
997CarreraS

Only have one car. Currently C4S and ordered a new set of Pirelli 240 All weather tires for my new Turbo. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....+240+Sottozero
Old 11-23-2009, 11:59 PM
jonoz
Instructor

Default winter driving

well...to all you guys in the warm United States.....consider yourselves lucky.
I live in Winnipeg Manitoba in the Great White North.
We get Serious Winter here.
Like....get a snow plough for your trip to work....Like....your turbo will freeze absolutlely solid.....every oil pump will turn into iron nuggets.
Unfortunately, I really do not like the cayenne....didn't try anything beyond the base loaner from Porsche AutoHaus.....but it felt like a pig....my Toyota Rav 4 with the V6 has far greater punch and fun to it.
well.
everybody have a great winter.....and stop grousing about the new turbo.....
we still have a great supercar.
j
Old 11-24-2009, 02:55 PM
DLJ
Racer

Hi in "Winterpeg"!
Ditto on the Rav4. A great 269hp mini-missile that can go anywhere in all weather, packin' the dog,cat and all the winter or summer toys. Just no substitute for a Porsche in the spring, summer, and fall though...
Old 12-06-2009, 08:45 PM
johmdjd
1st Gear

Here in Chicago, it's not the temp or snow that made my decision to hibernate the TT and drive the winter car (Cayenne); it's the multitude of potholes that develop every winter. A little bit of snow or ice makes it difficult to avoid or see the holes. With the Cayenne just drive over/through them.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:06 AM
Swoody
Racer

Originally Posted by johmdjd
Here in Chicago, it's not the temp or snow that made my decision to hibernate the TT and drive the winter car (Cayenne); it's the multitude of potholes that develop every winter. A little bit of snow or ice makes it difficult to avoid or see the holes. With the Cayenne just drive over/through them.
I agree....that and the 4 billion pounds of salt they put on the roads......I know it washes off but I just don't like it. I have a nice little Forester for the "crappy" months!

Quick Reply: Who drive their TT in the cold winter north of N.Y. Maine, Boston ect.