Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EVOMS customer Power -is it real ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 09:41 PM
jimmer23
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'm sure your Autobahn run was fun Toby, but for 99.5% of the customers out there purchasing performance packages for their cars, it's simply not relevant. How many times do we need to go through this

In fact, let's take the 'Ring for example, which has the longest straight of any track I can think of (that ordinary citizens can drive on). You're at WOT down the back for a max of what, 20sec, and can't possibly see terminal velocity. For the customer who wants a potent package for the street, strip, and track duty, what do 40min WOT 200mph banzai Autobahn runs have to do with anything? Please educate me, because I can't figure out how stressing an engine to that degree will benefit anyone who purchases a kit when they're only likely to see maybe 1% of that?

These overly conservative tunes are why your tuners are so far behind in the 'every day consumer' market compared to the US tuners. Clients don't need a car capable of running 24h races - if they did then I fully agree that more engineering would be required, and then your German tuners would probably have an advantage here.

Customer service, power under the curve, durability/reliability, ease of use, and performance, are the only things that truly matter. Not 200mph Autobahn runs which have practically nothing to do with how these cars are typically used - I'd agree with Joe that 40-50 dyno pulls are more than sufficient stress test of the components. Again, many American tuners go above and beyond in these areas, most notably with customer satisfaction and performance measurements, and you can throw in durability as well because I have yet to hear of any catastrophic failures as a result of bolting on one of these kits. I'd put EVOMS in this camp for sure.

You continually fail to take into account that these builds aren't forced on anyone! Each customer will have a specific way in which the car will be used, and the cars are then built accordingly. Maybe for YOUR purposes the US tuners are not the answer because a full engine build is required to run 24hrs a day 5 days a week at WOT on the Autobahn. You've made your choice, so there's no need to continually degrade and minimize the astounding achievements of the US tuners and their customers as you seem to like to do on a regular basis.

Like I said in another thread - I can agree that there are two ways to skin a cat when it comes to the HP produced and how it is used. See? Peace.

Last edited by jimmer23; 06-08-2009 at 11:42 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:25 AM
joetwint
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to have other examples to compare but there aren't any over here - my point is/was that this one should be MORE than representative of an EVT700 since this very car is featured heavily in the EVOMS advertising and the dyno sheet from this very car is again featured as what they are selling......so surely this should be a good one to look at ?
Umm,last time i was at Evoms everyone of their employees were there so I guess they weren't following that car around Europe as a roving pit crew just incase a boost hose came off.But look at the bright side ......it gives you something to pick at them about
And my "point" is not that 700+hp cannot be achieved by US tuners, of course it can and is, I saw KPGs thread with the amazing 60-130. What I am questioning is that these bolt on kits achieve the claimed dyno numbers and if they do, how the hell do they keep their tock rods straight
Stock rods from what we have seen here in the US become a problem around the 700rwhp level.Power is not the only thing that bends stock rod......detonation does also......maybe your Euro tuners should check their tunesKPG's car does not have stock rods.

You must realise that achievements for a Porsche Turbo tuner in Europe is measured in circuit times, racing reliability and to some extent top speed, no one really cares about building high boost motors for drag races so you can unruffle your feathers - your record is unlikely to be challenged by anyone in Europe
So if you don't care about our unreliable high boost motors,why this thread?
Old 06-09-2009, 06:51 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Jimmer
Your post is a little off the topic here but what I would say is that I am passionate about Porsche and their philosophy and in particular the way they build/tune their engines to perform and I have had tuned 911s since 1988 and studiously follwed ALL developments. In Germany (home of that philosophy) it DOES matter that you can have an hours running like my screen shot previously, running up to 320kph and back down again for mile upon mile - this is what Porsches do and is why they are THE best sports cars

For the US market where the cars seem to do very little mileage at full load these alternative tuning packages have evolved and are very impressive for what they are, but we are not skinning the same cat here, a 120K Euro European 800hp engine (RS Tuning - not 9ff ) can produce its 800hp at 1 bar boost and run with reliability and longevity similar to factory, this is what interests me as it is pushing the factory philosophy even further......

Joe
Why should this engine have a boost hose off - it was running well by all accounts.
Torque is the primary culprit for bent rods (it is only on 6 Speed where peak power is always (wrongly) quoted). The beauty of the latest Motronic control is that detonation can be very well controlled and managed so it is less of a threat (obviously engines without full Motronic function and "band aid" fixed boost are much more at risk)

I know KPG's doesn't have stock rods but the UK EVOMS car does and the EVT700 package is sold as bolt on implying that stock rods can take 750ftlbs of torque which is complete rubbish...... so back to the topic, this car appears to have ~620hp/600ftlbs not what EVOMS claim, I care about this because I am interested in how chassis dyno numbers translate in real hp/tq. I know plenty of others are interested also
Old 06-09-2009, 07:12 AM
Alex (UK)
Racer

As still rather a layman in this area I personally can't see how anyone can 'use' more than 550 bhp on public roads anyway, so I fail to see the point of having more than this unless you go to the track a couple of times a month. The contact patch area of each tyre is still only the size of a CD case (no matter how big your wheels are) more power just means more wheel spin.

I personally struggle to not get wheel spin in 3rd gear in a straight line on dry tarmac with my 'measly' 544 BHP, a gear which takes me up to 100mph. So as far as I can see more power than this is only applicable beyond 100mph. Do you guys really do enough 100-200mph runs to justify potentially hurting your engine with all that extra torque?

So for me at least a Stage II (sports exhaust + sports air-filter + ECU remap) is plenty. I can't ever see myself saying "I still need more power" like the owner of that EVO700 Turbo did to me a couple of months ago. In fact my suspension tuner (who did the setup for that article above) has personally driven both Nick's and my car and says that Nick's is just "savage" and a real handful.

I believe that if you get a 'good' Stage II kit like those provided by Ruf and Cargraphic/RS-Tuning (the 2 most expensive on the market I believe) you seriously wouldn't ever want for more. I am a huge believer in you get what you play for...

PS: I like the idea personally in having an over-engineered car. That's part of the appeal with Porsche. Saying that those in the US never put their car in a position to hurt the engine so there is no need to test for these circumstances goes against that idea for me and devalues the car substantially.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:35 AM
joetwint
Advanced

Originally Posted by TB993tt
Torque is the primary culprit for bent rods (it is only on 6 Speed where peak power is always (wrongly) quoted). The beauty of the latest Motronic control is that detonation can be very well controlled and managed so it is less of a threat (obviously engines without full Motronic function and "band aid" fixed boost are much more at risk)

I knew you had to be drinking somethingSo i guess this car is not making its advertised torque numbers eitherhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5xMyVaqtkU
I guess that's why it is still on stock rods.Toby,how many of these cars have you had built,tuned?
Old 06-09-2009, 11:56 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by joetwint
I knew you had to be drinking somethingSo i guess this car is not making its advertised torque numbers eitherhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5xMyVaqtkU
I guess that's why it is still on stock rods.?
Yeah, saw that, craaaazzzyyyy if it does any miles it will bend the rods no question.....

Originally Posted by joetwint
Toby,how many of these cars have you had built,tuned?
I've had a few engines built, a US tuner spec 965 with an excellent turbo Todd Z sold me many years ago, an attempt at a US tuned 993tt (Todd K - distance proved the stumbling block here) A Ruf Yellowbird engine retweaked and then 3 different builds on the 993tt including testing some 650+hp US turbos which made ~500 Porsche hp on the engine dyno - I am also the proud owner of some stock rods with a nice bend in them courtesy of 560ftlbs/760NM engine dyno torque.
Now tuning the 997GT2 but it will be mild since this car is more about balance than being a dragster IMHO
Old 06-09-2009, 01:00 PM
jimmer23
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, saw that, craaaazzzyyyy if it does any miles it will bend the rods no question.....
Uhhh, it has been done for a year, and the owner has put plenty of miles on it. Hmmm, no bent rods, wonder why? Ran the TX Mile and no bent rods either. Hmmm. Let's ignore the dyno numbers, since you don't believe in the US methods. I think in this page (of your favorite thread I might add ) we go through the numbers and horsepower - even using a conservative estimate based simply upon trap speed and weight (it is all physics afterall - how much power does it take to accelerate an objext weighing xxx pounds to xxx mph in xxx distance), we came out to 890bhp. http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t... upgrade&mid=0

EDIT: Here's what Switzer has done with that same customers 997GT2 on pump gas if you're interested: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...rst-drive.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vIZL...eature=related

I've had a few engines built, a US tuner spec 965 with an excellent turbo Todd Z sold me many years ago, an attempt at a US tuned 993tt (Todd K - distance proved the stumbling block here) A Ruf Yellowbird engine retweaked and then 3 different builds on the 993tt including testing some 650+hp US turbos which made ~500 Porsche hp on the engine dyno - I am also the proud owner of some stock rods with a nice bend in them courtesy of 560ftlbs/760NM engine dyno torque.
Now tuning the 997GT2 but it will be mild since this car is more about balance than being a dragster IMHO
No one has minimized your achievements and builds Toby, and we all know you've been in the game for a long time. Like I said, we're talking about two different tuning philosophies - neither is worse than the other, they're just for different markets and uses. Many of these US packages aren't built for hours long Autobahn sessions (and nobody is claiming that they are), the same way your kits probably won't perform as well in acceleration tests. The main point is if the customers are happy that they are performing as expected, and the answer is "yes" the vast majority of the time.

BTW, Joe's spot-on - detonation is most often the culprit in bent rods (holed pistons, broken rings, etc - these aren't caused by "too much torque" - they're caused by improper tuning) This is how with proper fueling (and cooling) you can get staggering HP out of the stock ones. Maybe your tuners need to study up more - this isn't new science.

Last edited by jimmer23; 06-09-2009 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:57 PM
cparkin
Rennlist Member

Quite an interesting thread... TPC will get 60-130 and 1/4 mile times as soon as time/weather allow. We are a small operation with a lot of projects going on right now. Had to finish up our 3.7 turbo 987 first... then will work over the 775 Blitzkrieg and then the turbo 997.2
Old 06-10-2009, 10:12 PM
MBailey
Instructor

Hey Toby!
This is an interesting thread. I agree with you the Martini EVT-700 is not making 700 hp. When I saw the mag I was disappointed. I agree that you are more likely to get all hp promised from European tuners particularly Ruf and
9FF. I dont think this is because US tuners are dishonest or incompetant though. I think it is mostly because the way the packages in the US are purchased. The parts are typically bought online then a local mechanic or even the customer(who may have no experiance with high end installs) puts the kit on. Many kits are installed incorrectly this way. Its happened at least once to me. Many errors are minor and have a no or minor effect on performance. Others are catastrophic such as an improperly installed electronic boost controller which sticks in my mind. Tuners like Ruf and 9FF do the installs themselves so the results are very uniform and excellent but at very high cost. Actually when US tuners such as EVOMS, Protomotive and others actually do the installs the results are also typically excellent.
I have an EVOMS GT700 on my 996TT. Does it make 700 hp? I dont know. I did post a 4th gear zero shift pull on your IC thread on Rennteam that contained a 100-200 km/hr run which is as fast as an RT-12 on the performance table. Regardless, Iam happy with my car. I would love to have a Ruf or 9FF car but the cost is simply not realistic to me.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:09 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MBailey
Hey Toby!
This is an interesting thread. I agree with you the Martini EVT-700 is not making 700 hp. When I saw the mag I was disappointed. I agree that you are more likely to get all hp promised from European tuners particularly Ruf and
9FF. I dont think this is because US tuners are dishonest or incompetant though. I think it is mostly because the way the packages in the US are purchased. The parts are typically bought online then a local mechanic or even the customer(who may have no experiance with high end installs) puts the kit on. Many kits are installed incorrectly this way. Its happened at least once to me. Many errors are minor and have a no or minor effect on performance. Others are catastrophic such as an improperly installed electronic boost controller which sticks in my mind. Tuners like Ruf and 9FF do the installs themselves so the results are very uniform and excellent but at very high cost. Actually when US tuners such as EVOMS, Protomotive and others actually do the installs the results are also typically excellent.
I have an EVOMS GT700 on my 996TT. Does it make 700 hp? I dont know. I did post a 4th gear zero shift pull on your IC thread on Rennteam that contained a 100-200 km/hr run which is as fast as an RT-12 on the performance table. Regardless, Iam happy with my car. I would love to have a Ruf or 9FF car but the cost is simply not realistic to me.
Excellent comments, your car is performing very nicely in the data you shared, 100-200kph in 1 gear 6.5s is very solid and regardless of whether it is 700hp or 600hp, that is fast
The bit which I am really stumped by is the graph given to the owner of this car by the EVOMS distributor (and used by EVOMS as an "independant" example of their work) clearly shows 750ft/lbs of torque and 730hp wheras the acceleration data as you say does not back it up.
I have corresponded with the owner who seems a good guy (who is not in the least interested in graphs etc) and he confirms it has "poor" mid range performance - how on earth can it have "poor" (verified by the magazine data) mid range performance if the Mustang dyno graph is correct ?

Is it feasible as Joe suggests that something "broke" right after the dyno run ?

The owner is well up for an airfield session and says he will be contacting EVOMS to "see what they can do" - It would be great if we can get the car "signed off" as a pukka representative EVOMS 700 so we can evaluate it properly during an airfield test.........
Old 06-11-2009, 07:12 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cparkin
Quite an interesting thread... TPC will get 60-130 and 1/4 mile times as soon as time/weather allow. We are a small operation with a lot of projects going on right now. Had to finish up our 3.7 turbo 987 first... then will work over the 775 Blitzkrieg and then the turbo 997.2
I just had a look at your thread on 6 Speed.....

You are using GT2 turbos with bigger compressors and a larger "exducer" - not sure what that is
You say it is 33% more efficient than a factory GT2 unit, what exactly does this mean ? I am interested because I am staying with stock GT2 units just because I don't want the lag which inevitably comes with bigger wheels (yes they say they can program to reduce lag but I will take that programming and reduce it even further on the stock units ) so what does this 33% mean - do you just mean it produces more airflow ?

What about the turbo lag, the torque doesn't peak until 4K rpm, does that not take away some of the fun of these VTG cars, I just love stepping on it at 3K rpm and feeling the surge of torque pinning you to the seat as shown on my dyno below:

I still can't get my head around these 8 second dyno runs - how on earth you tune an ECU based on that and expect it to deliver the same power during a run up through 5th and 6th gear is totally beyond me

Really looking forward to some acceleration numbers - would it be possible to do a 60-160mph so we could compare it to the EVOMS/9ff 730hp cars in this thread ?
Old 06-11-2009, 09:51 AM
cparkin
Rennlist Member

I just had a look at your thread on 6 Speed.....

You are using GT2 turbos with bigger compressors and a larger "exducer" - not sure what that is
You say it is 33% more efficient than a factory GT2 unit, what exactly does this mean ?

-Technically they are 997TT turbos that have been modified to perform to give 33% more airflow than a GT2 Turbo. We dont start with GT2 Turbos... that is quite cost prohibitive.

I am interested because I am staying with stock GT2 units just because I don't want the lag which inevitably comes with bigger wheels (yes they say they can program to reduce lag but I will take that programming and reduce it even further on the stock units ) so what does this 33% mean - do you just mean it produces more airflow ?

Exactly, More Airflow.

What about the turbo lag, the torque doesn't peak until 4K rpm, does that not take away some of the fun of these VTG cars, I just love stepping on it at 3K rpm and feeling the surge of torque pinning you to the seat as shown on my dyno below:

The Torque doesnt peak until 4k but it is a stead ramp until then and then it plateaus... The drivability is maximized over the other dyno you posted. No surging or on/off throttle issues. We have done 6 of these now with no customer complaints only huge smiles.

I still can't get my head around these 8 second dyno runs - how on earth you tune an ECU based on that and expect it to deliver the same power during a run up through 5th and 6th gear is totally beyond me

-We have tuned the car on the track. We are very friendly with local law enforcement but we never exceed local limits near the shop. Our most local circuit(summit point) has seen a lot of us and we do a lot of tuning there as well.

Really looking forward to some acceleration numbers - would it be possible to do a 60-160mph so we could compare it to the EVOMS/9ff 730hp cars in this thread ?

I would love to get you(and a lot more people) those numbers but we are currently knee deep in cup car season and we do a ton of prep... not to mention lots of R&D on a number of other projects. I promise to get the numbers and report back here ASAP.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:44 AM
MBailey
Instructor

Excellent comments, your car is performing very nicely in the data you shared, 100-200kph in 1 gear 6.5s is very solid and regardless of whether it is 700hp or 600hp, that is fast
The bit which I am really stumped by is the graph given to the owner of this car by the EVOMS distributor (and used by EVOMS as an "independant" example of their work) clearly shows 750ft/lbs of torque and 730hp wheras the acceleration data as you say does not back it up.
I have corresponded with the owner who seems a good guy (who is not in the least interested in graphs etc) and he confirms it has "poor" mid range performance - how on earth can it have "poor" (verified by the magazine data) mid range performance if the Mustang dyno graph is correct ?

Is it feasible as Joe suggests that something "broke" right after the dyno run ?

The owner is well up for an airfield session and says he will be contacting EVOMS to "see what they can do" - It would be great if we can get the car "signed off" as a pukka representative EVOMS 700 so we can evaluate it properly during an airfield test.........
As Iam sure you already know, Dynos are only as good as the installer and operator. There is no universal standardization requirement that Iam aware of. A reasonable way to use a dyno is to measure before and after the mods. Retrospectively, all you can do it put other stock turbos on the dyno to get an estimate of what the test car had before modification. Alternatively, if all cars in the test could have dynoed on the same dyno, we would have some meaningful numbers. The EVT-700 car should be redynoed to see if a change has occurred since the initial measurement.
Another source of number inflation is application of "correction factors" and trying to calculate back to crank hp using generous drivetrain loss factors. It would be better to just report the raw measured wheel hp.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:34 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MBailey
As Iam sure you already know, Dynos are only as good as the installer and operator. There is no universal standardization requirement that Iam aware of. A reasonable way to use a dyno is to measure before and after the mods. Retrospectively, all you can do it put other stock turbos on the dyno to get an estimate of what the test car had before modification. Alternatively, if all cars in the test could have dynoed on the same dyno, we would have some meaningful numbers. The EVT-700 car should be redynoed to see if a change has occurred since the initial measurement.
Another source of number inflation is application of "correction factors" and trying to calculate back to crank hp using generous drivetrain loss factors. It would be better to just report the raw measured wheel hp.
RS Tuning, Ruf and Manthey seem able and motivated to give Porsche standard power/torque numbers for turbo cars, most others seem prone to the vagaries you describe above
Old 06-11-2009, 07:49 PM
GT
Instructor

cparkin by exducer do you mean turbo housings by any chance?

Quick Reply: EVOMS customer Power -is it real ?