Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Turbo Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turbo-forum-139/)
-   -   best dealer in ny area? (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turbo-forum/474791-best-dealer-in-ny-area.html)

rspike 01-03-2009 09:01 PM

best dealer in ny area?

wheres the best dealer in ny area?

Chris from Cali 01-03-2009 10:19 PM

For service or sales? Often it's a big difference...

rspike 01-04-2009 12:58 AM

dealer

for sales, test drives , prices , knowledge

TT Surgeon 01-04-2009 03:43 AM

I've always been treated well at roslyn porsche (formerly silverstar), 516 625 5544 ask for jack S, he'll hook you up.
Porsche huntington is also good. Legend is one of the worst imo, as is the one in Manhattan. Steer clear of those two would be my advice.

PBART 01-04-2009 04:07 PM

I agree... Porsche of Roslyn is great for sales and service. Evan and Eric are very knowledgeable and more than fair...

docjackson1 01-04-2009 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon (Post 6145694)
I've always been treated well at roslyn porsche (formerly silverstar), 516 625 5544 ask for jack S, he'll hook you up.
Porsche huntington is also good. Legend is one of the worst imo, as is the one in Manhattan. Steer clear of those two would be my advice.

these are very subjective issues. i respect your opinion, but i was treated very fairly by manhattan motorcars. i agree though-sales and service are very different at most dealers. i have bought cars at various dealers-it depends on who you talk to, how hungry they are to make a deal, etc. i find it varies year to year-i have had about 12 porsches, and have had almost 12 different experiences. i would just try the local guy, see what happens, and take it from there. service wise-i have gone to all the dealers in north jersey-they are all pretty good.

turbonator 01-05-2009 12:36 AM

Thumbs down for Manhattan Motorcars as they have the feel of a mass-market operation with little personal touch whatsoever.

docjackson1 01-05-2009 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by turbonator (Post 6148148)
Thumbs down for Manhattan Motorcars as they have the feel of a mass-market operation with little personal touch whatsoever.

turbonator-i can just tell you this-i purchased a black on black 09 turbo from manhattan in august of 08-the car was in the port and supposed to be delivered in a few days. the epa put a hold on all the turbos and they weren't delivered until 2 months later (october)-in august, they agreed to give me $76000 for an 08 carrera s with 2500 miles on it that i had paid a dealer $82,000 (msrp was $93,000). obviously, in the 2 months that it took to deliver my 09 turbo, the market went bust-we all read tons of stories here about dealers telling clients that they can't give them anything close to their agreed upon trade-not manhattan-with a basic signed contract (by me, not them) and a $1000 deposit, they gave me the 5 grand off the turbo and stood by their trade in of $76,000 on my carrera s-for that, i say they are honest and give them high marks. they had the financing done at a good rate, the car was delivered and explained to me-i respect all your opinions, but by me, ritchie preggie and manhattan did a good job.

OldGuy 01-05-2009 02:00 AM

Manhattan was here and on 6speed bragging about the hundreds of thousands of dollars they were getting over MSRP on there RS's and their GT3s not too long ago. Theres a dealer you want to rush to.
I have heard great things about Princeton Porsche? is that in NJ?

Trader220 01-06-2009 10:27 AM

Shop all over the place via the phone. These days big discounts are out there. What exactly are you looking for?

NYC123 01-06-2009 09:01 PM

p dealer

MMC is a disaster, I cant stand them. What they sell is always priced way above the mkt and when you want to trade something they give you 30% below other dealers. Paul Miller , Princeton Porsche , and New Country Porsche, fairfield Porsche are all great

papadukes8 01-08-2009 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by NYC123 (Post 6154597)
MMC is a disaster, I cant stand them. What they sell is always priced way above the mkt and when you want to trade something they give you 30% below other dealers. Paul Miller , Princeton Porsche , and New Country Porsche, fairfield Porsche are all great

+1

Riz 01-08-2009 12:52 PM

Ray Catena is the best. I've bought cars fron Schneider Nelson, Princeton as well. Ray Catena has a great selection and service dept is good. Princeton service is good but sales stinks.

docjackson1 01-09-2009 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by NYC123 (Post 6154597)

with all due respect to all of you, i think that most of you are being black and white on this issue and are all missing the big point. all of the dealers that you have mentioned have the potential to be good on some instances/deals and be bad on other issues. i have bought multiple cars from schneider nelson-with one general manager they were great, with another, not so great. princeton built me a turbo in 06 (an 997 07 tt)-they charged me full msrp and gave me the worst trade in price i ever got-my fault as i ordered the 07tt and never got a solid trade in quote from them-when my car came in, they put it to me on the trade. as i said, manhattan gave me a good discount on my 09 tt and stood by their more than fair trade on my carrera s that they quoted in august 08 even though the market had completely collapsed by october 08-they might have screwed some of you on your gt3, but in this situation, they were more than fair. jack daniels gave me a great deal on my carrera s, but when i tried to buy my 09 turbo from them, they were unable to give me a price on the new turbo or on my trade, so the deal was impossible to do. paul miller has always been very expensive to me over the last 10 years, and i personally get the feeling that the salesman loses interest when you are not standing in front of him and talking to him. i tried to buy a new 07 turbo from catena-they only wanted to find me one when i decided to take my deposit back. so my point is-all of the dealers, according to all of our experiences, can give us a good deal, or a bad deal. if i were in the market at this moment, i would give any of the dealers a chance to sell me the car. as far as service, i have had good luck with most of them-i presently use jack daniels, but i have found that paul miller, town and schneider nelson were just fine.

Trader220 01-09-2009 10:34 AM

Doc, well said ^^^
I only have a short time in the business of selling Porsches but I have a long history in buying them. I can tell you from seeing what goes on at this dealer you have some clients who are always happy and some who are never happy. Some people walk over 500 dollars on a 100k car and others don’t care at all. Lots of different things can go right and wrong in a deal and they make lasting impressions on clients. All of the dealers talked about have been in business a long time so they much have a few satisfied customers and not just the ones who just pay without shopping.
IMO the key is to do some DD and shop a bit not only for price but for how you’re treated and which sales person/manager you feel comfortable with. There is no mystery in the price of new cars, its easy to figure out what they cost and what you’re comfortable in paying. Don’t forget it is a business too and the dealer has to make a little money.