Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new skyline dynoes at 475rwhp!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 04:50 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

With a 3.8 liter engine ampared to a 3.6 liter, I would hope it makes more power. It will be interesting to see how it compares to a stock 997tt, since they both have awd. 997tt will have the weight and traction advantage over the GTR so I would get too worried just yet.
Raj
Old 12-15-2007, 05:08 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
With a 3.8 liter engine ampared to a 3.6 liter, I would hope it makes more power. It will be interesting to see how it compares to a stock 997tt, since they both have awd. 997tt will have the weight and traction advantage over the GTR so I would get too worried just yet.
Raj
Every review I've read (both US and UK pubs) claim the GT-R runs away from a 997TT on the track. While the Porsche is sliding around, the GT-R just plants and goes. Don't underestimate those Japanese engineers... I certainly gained a huge amount of respect for them the first time I took my old Evo out for a thrash. For the overall ownership experience I'd rather have a 997TT, but the GT-R is a SERIOUS bang-for-the-buck car (like the Z06).
Old 12-15-2007, 05:58 PM
TT_man
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Theres alot of high HP cars out. The new 08 Viper produced 616rwhp with just some long tube header and exhaust
http://www.viperalley.com/forum/vipe...t10-616-a.html

I love all of this competition. You got to figure, if it did not exist. Well , we wouldnt have all these nice cars available to us enthusiasts.
IMO porsche needs to bump up the discplacement on the 997 turbo. Make it a 4liter instead.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:06 PM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by TT_man
IMO porsche needs to bump up the discplacement on the 997 turbo. Make it a 4liter instead.
+1

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
How's that shallow rusty? It's MY OPINION that the PORSCHE(any porsche)TT is better than anything from datsun. Sorry if you have an issue with that, I'm sure you can trade your 930 in on a 350z anytime, knock youself out.
The only issue I have, is that I am a true car guy, I keep an open, unbiased mind and opinion, it does not matter the car's roots, I am awe struck at beautifully engineered products that come out of the U.S, Japan and Europe. I am not partial or loyal to one brand and always quick to recognize when new boundaries are defined (Porsche did this in 1975 with the 930) and Datsun did this in 1970 with the 240Z. Nissan's new Skyline GTR is that new boundary in terms of performance you can buy off the showroom floor at a Boxster price.

I like the 997TT, fantastic cars, but the new GTR and even the new NSX,V-10 Supra etc will be interesting to see how they rack-up against the high dollar machines out of Europe.

As car guys we live in interesting (or rather "great") times, where the products being released for purchase are awesome, inspiring and designed around the driver with great chassis, drivetrain development and performance as the focal point, unlike the mid '90s to mid 2000s where the consumers and the auto industry were focused on boring SUVs and shopping cart Camrys.

Your jab at my 930 or even a 350Z further reinforces my first post.
Regards - Yasin
Old 12-15-2007, 08:37 PM
StickShift964
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Personally, under the price of a 997Turbo, the next car i would most likely get would be an S6/S8 with the V10. 'Ring times are one thing, but also the cars styling is another thing to me. The skyline looks are, well not up to par with its performance. Give me a sedan with a bunch of power before you give me the skyline.

As far as Performance aspects alone, after a 997Turbo, my vote goes to a Z06....as a few members on this board have done.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:47 PM
TT_man
Advanced

Originally Posted by StickShift964
my vote goes to a Z06....as a few members on this board have done.
Why? The new 08 Viper will kill a C6Z06. It will out brake it, out handle it. When John Hennessey dynoed his 08 Viper with the headers and exhaust , from the fly wheel that is right at 700hps!
Take a look at this review. ( play the video)

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...hotopanel..1.*
Old 12-16-2007, 10:42 AM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Another thing, that nissan is one of the ugliest SOBs to come down the pike in years. At least the 350Z looks good, albeit too much cheap plastic.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:44 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TT Gasman
Another thing, that nissan is one of the ugliest SOBs to come down the pike in years. At least the 350Z looks good, albeit too much cheap plastic.
Agreed there... I am not a big fan of the Koenigsegg roofline and the GT-R seems to be an exact copy. I've read it has big aerodynamic advantages, but it does nothing for the aesthetic advantage.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:15 PM
StickShift964
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TT_man
Why? The new 08 Viper will kill a C6Z06. It will out brake it, out handle it. When John Hennessey dynoed his 08 Viper with the headers and exhaust , from the fly wheel that is right at 700hps!
Take a look at this review. ( play the video)

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...hotopanel..1.*
Ive never been a fan of vipers, corvettes....since i was a baby. But fine, since i havent keep up with my performance info, sure ill take a viper over the skyline still, its american, got a big ol V10 and, my friend who works at a Mopar Dealership can do all my dealer-work for free. Seems like a deal to me.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:58 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 607 Posts

hennessey was running that 08 viper at the 60-130 competition we just had at his track and I don't think it was faster than my 997tt. Remember those are dynojet numbers uncorrected for temps and will be much lower on mustang dyno
Old 12-16-2007, 04:34 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by slownrusty
+1

The only issue I have, is that I am a true car guy, I keep an open, unbiased mind and opinion, it does not matter the car's roots, I am awe struck at beautifully engineered products that come out of the U.S, Japan and Europe. I am not partial or loyal to one brand and always quick to recognize when new boundaries are defined (Porsche did this in 1975 with the 930) and Datsun did this in 1970 with the 240Z. Nissan's new Skyline GTR is that new boundary in terms of performance you can buy off the showroom floor at a Boxster price.

I like the 997TT, fantastic cars, but the new GTR and even the new NSX,V-10 Supra etc will be interesting to see how they rack-up against the high dollar machines out of Europe.

As car guys we live in interesting (or rather "great") times, where the products being released for purchase are awesome, inspiring and designed around the driver with great chassis, drivetrain development and performance as the focal point, unlike the mid '90s to mid 2000s where the consumers and the auto industry were focused on boring SUVs and shopping cart Camrys.

Your jab at my 930 or even a 350Z further reinforces my first post.
Regards - Yasin
You are the one who started with me because you didn't approve of my opinion. I don't like japanese cars and never will, that's my opinion, if you don't like that, tough sh@t. You're welcome to your opinion, as am I, don't expect everbody to agree with you all the time.
Done with this thread.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:21 PM
cannga
Instructor

You are welcome to your opinions but need to stay close to reality and check the facts before posting. Your statements, besides being wrong, don't seem so unbiased to me.
1. The GTR costs more, much much more than a Boxster.
2. The Nissan is a great car, but it does NOT break any "new boundary." Please calm down. LOL. Just one example: When REAL production samples are avaiilble, basic logic dictates the Corvette (3130 lbs, 505 hp) will kill this fat and VERY UGLY car (3836 lbs, 473 hp claimed) in EVERY performance parameter you could name, except for possibly handling on wet roads.

I've posted this elsewhere, and I'll repeat it here: The problem with the GTR is not Porsche Turbo, it's that Z06. The Corvette makes this UGLY car a stillborn in MY unbiased (I have neither) opinion.

Originally Posted by slownrusty
+1
.......The only issue I have, is that I am a true car guy, I keep an open, unbiased mind and opinion,.....Nissan's new Skyline GTR is that new boundary in terms of performance you can buy off the showroom floor at a Boxster price....

Last edited by cannga; 12-16-2007 at 05:49 PM.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:02 PM
TT_man
Advanced

Originally Posted by eclou
hennessey was running that 08 viper at the 60-130 competition we just had at his track and I don't think it was faster than my 997tt. Remember those are dynojet numbers uncorrected for temps and will be much lower on mustang dyno
Hennessey just ran a 10.77 @133mph 1/4mile. So your saying that your 997TT is quicker 60-130mph??

http://www.viperalley.com/forum/vipe...r-10-77-a.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just got back from the 1/4 mile. Here is the short report (the longer report, pics and videos are coming later):

1. 2008 Viper SRT10 convertible. 100% stock engine, airbox, suspsension.
2. Mods: Hennessey long tube 1 7/8 stainless steel headers with Burns collectors flowing through full 3 inch. stainless exhaust with mufflers and no cats. Also ran with Stoptech cross drilled rotors which save about 8 lbs per corner.
3. Car dyno'd 608 rw hp SAE on the Dynojet a few days ago.
4. 93 octane pump gas - about a 1/2 tank.
5. Car was run at full weight which was 3462 lbs with fuel and no driver.
6. First 4 passes were on BFG 345/18 drag radials running about 15 psi.
7. All of the drag radial runs were in the 10's with some tire spin and wheel hop.
8. Air temps started around 50 deg. and ended at about 56 deg. Track was cold. Track prep was OK but not great as we ran out of VHT today. I need to give the track owner a hard time about this as he should have been better prepared for us....
9. First run was 10.91 @ 133 mph, 2nd run was 10.83 @ 132 mph, 3rd run was 10.77 @ 133 mph and 4th run was 10.91 @ 131 mph. The best 60 ft. was the 10.77 run with a 1.77 short time.
10. Switched over to the street tires and aired them down to 15 psi. Got way more wheel hop and tire spin on these.
11. Best run on the street tires was the first run at 11.33 @ 135.2 mph! That speed is shockingly fast. Next run was 11.4 @ 133 mph. 3rd run was 11.8 @ 133 mph and the traction had pretty much gone away. So we didnt make any more runs.

OK, there you have it. First time for a stock motor 2008 Viper with bolt-on headers, exhaust, rotors and drag radials goes some solid 10's.

The 2008 Viper is one impressive package all the way around. I am sure this is just the begining.

More info. later on. I am tired and want to go watch some football.
www.TunerSchool.com
Tel: 713-466-3420
Old 12-16-2007, 09:39 PM

I've got to see the Nissan in the flesh as the pics are not very flattering. The performance of this car along with its price plus Japanese build quality will sway some Corvette/Z06 guys (for the better quality of materials etc) and I'm sure some 997/S types for the extra big performance bang for the buck. I don't know if I'd be trading a 997TT for one however.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:57 PM
john0719
Racer

If only the new GT-R wasn't so butt ugly, I may consider it.

Quick Reply: new skyline dynoes at 475rwhp!