Sponsored by:

illuminated entry sills...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 08:38 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 520 Posts
Default illuminated entry sills...

My dealer showed me two 997tts yesterday, both with the illuminated sills in stainless. Both had a gap on the trailing edge, instead of being all the way down, flush with the bodywork. Is this normal and is it the same with the illuminated carbon sills?

Last edited by Dr. G; 07-04-2007 at 08:07 PM.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:06 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

My ss ones are flush and I dig them big time! Perhaps they added them after?
Old 07-03-2007, 11:05 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 344 Posts

Decide what you're going to order, George?
Old 07-04-2007, 12:18 AM
2k7997tt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine are flush.

One annoyance....the lights flicker on (flourescent??).
Old 07-04-2007, 07:19 AM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Chris, we're 99% there. I think I'm going to go for the look that John has over on rennteam - the midnight/natural brown with deviating black carpets and headliner.

249 - Tiptronic S
E9 Midnight Blue Metallic
06 Natural Leather Brown
CXB Door Entry Grds Stl Steel Illuminated
998 Leather Interior Natural Lthr
342 Heated Front Seats
640 Sport Chrono Package Turbo
810 Floor Mats - Black
XSC Porsche Crest in Headrest
XXZ Foot Rest Aluminum
431 3-Spoke Str Whl Multifctn lthr
CPA Thicker Leather Steering Wheel
XMP Lthr Sun Visors Lighted Mirror
XMZ Rear Center Console - Leather
XNG Instrument Surround in Leather
XNS Steering Column in Leather
XTV Door Finishers in Leather
XZD Dome Lamp Cover - Leather
DAA Interior Pkg A Pillar Leather
CFA Leather Tiptronic Gate
CUR PCM Package Leather
CUV Storage Cmpt Lid W/Model Logo
635 Parking Assist System
24951 - Deviating Carpet - Black

The only thing that threw me was that I was talking to the general manager about the painted rockers, front and rear apron. Because the car was midnight I figured it wouldn't be so noticeable. He told me he "wouldn't let me order the car without them painted" because "they have ordered all their cars that way." What??? Does that mean that they'll pay for them if I don't want them, or perhaps they won't order my car if I left them out?

The option I'm most on the fence about is the Park Assist. I've had my A6 for 3 years and the only blemish I have on my rear bumper is from a guy who rolled into me at a stoplight (who, BTW, had just got his license back after having it suspended). My friends swear by the Park Assist option, but I'm not sure I need it.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:26 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,236 Likes on 606 Posts

Painted rockers on a midnite car is like a toe ring on Jessica Alba in a bikini. You won't ever notice it.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:11 PM
THinthedesert
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dr. G
Chris, we're 99% there. The option I'm most on the fence about is the Park Assist. I've had my A6 for 3 years and the only blemish I have on my rear bumper is from a guy who rolled into me at a stoplight (who, BTW, had just got his license back after having it suspended). My friends swear by the Park Assist option, but I'm not sure I need it.
If I understand the "logic" built into the Parking Assist option, it is not on unless your car is in reverse gear, so if that is true it would not be capable of warning you about something like what occured to you in your A6.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:33 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

I realize that, of course. I was just making the point that in the time I've owned the A6 I've never had a problem backing into anything.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:43 PM
blkc4sny
Instructor

Don't listen to the Dealer who is saying he won't let you order, hold on a minute, who's money is this? I don't know your Dealer, but if any sales person or manager ever took that position, I'd find a new dealer.

Buy what you want not what the dealer tells you to buy. Especially on a cosmetic option that he wants to profit from. The dealers are looking at making $14 to $17K per Turbo.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:55 PM
THinthedesert
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dr. G
I realize that, of course. I was just making the point that in the time I've owned the A6 I've never had a problem backing into anything.
I understand and a very good point indeed.

I would not have an issue with the PA option if it weren't for having to look at those sensors in the bumper. Not as ugly to look at as real bumber damage, but as you all too well that can easily occur by someone else's negligence, to where the PA option was of no value.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:02 PM
Ken89911T
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dr. G:

Nice specs you got there. As for your dealer and his notion re: painted rockers, looks like you're into this car in a big way. You might suggest that HE buy the rockers for you, as a comp for such a nice order. If the Greed-O-Meter hits "High", at least you know who your're dealing with.

Regardless, should be a beautiful turbo.

Ken
Old 07-05-2007, 12:48 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

glow in the dark entry sills are the silliest option out there imo. Agree with Lou, don't need painted lip/rockers on a midnight car.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:08 PM
hduffy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the illuminated sills look great. You are going to have one fabulous Porsche. Since you are doing the leather PCM Package, have you thought about CVP Leather Trim Strip?
Old 07-14-2007, 09:07 AM
gradyex
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nicely optioned car. Looks like you put some serious thought into the options you selected. Those leather options really make the interior special. I'd also pass on painting the lowers, especially with midnight blue + less hassle if you scrape the front valance (its inevitable). One less thing to worry about + more cash in your pocket to keep. Dealers comments are odd indeed. Must have dollar signs of the brain. Get a discount, both Porsche and the dealer make a killing on these turbos. Not unheard of getting $5k off sticker (thats if you want a coupe, convertibles will be hot for awhile).
Old 07-14-2007, 09:55 AM
x-50speeder
Instructor

I can see why he would make that comment! It would be analogous to saying he would not let you order a Turbo without the Chrono option (which I have seen in the used market). Indeed, it would be silly to not order the Chrono on a magnitude that does not even compare with not ordering painted lower body on a dark color car, but it does look beautiful. It's funny, I remember when the 996's were coming out, a local dealer would spec all of the cars with supple leather option! I always preferred the regular leather treatment on the seats, and I think they quickly saw the light once they saw the wear on the supple leather cars!

Quick Reply: illuminated entry sills...