Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AUG 07 Car and Driver 997TT Test...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 09:00 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AUG 07 Car and Driver 997TT Test...

Uh oh, so Car and Driver tested the TT with a bunch of other sports cars and good news is the TT came out first in class. The bad news is they put the TT in a class by itself! On the race track (VIR) it was 4 seconds behind the GT3 and 8 seconds behind the Z06! Even the R8 beat it by 1 second. They complained about the weight and mid lift throttle oversteer. And they added that it lost power after a few laps, over heating? They only gave the TT a couple of paragraphs since they couldn't really compare it to anything since it was in its own class.

They did say that they didn't know where the TT fit in the lineup as the C2S is very capable, the GT3 out handles it and with the new GT2, it won't be the fastest. But I disagree, the GT3 is a great handling car, but can't beat the TT as an everyday car, at least for me, I need the rear seats. Seems like the guys at Car and Driver can't get a handle on driving the TT on the track.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:30 AM
vladie22
Instructor

Received 232 Likes on 42 Posts

did you just get the 8/07 issue ? i have a subscription but have not yet gotten that issue . i'm interested to read that article .
Old 06-26-2007, 11:04 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,236 Likes on 606 Posts

They weren't too impressed. It is interesting that their GT3 was a Champion Motorsports car shod with Champion wheels that are 7-9lbs lighter per corner, and who knows what alignment specs. I pretty certain that a good alignment would make the TT a bit more impressive to the journalists
Old 06-26-2007, 12:25 PM
thatanos
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could you please attachment the scannned magazine for the people like me that live in Europe and can not buy it please?
Old 06-26-2007, 12:42 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Perhaps C&D is referring to the fact that with the current Porsche lineup (C2S, GT3, GT2), the 99x TT has become more GT car than previous '911 Turbos' and is therefore more closely related to the upcoming Panamera (4door GT sedan) than the 911's.

Starting with the 996TT, it's really been a GT (daily driver) car that is a bit overweight and powered accordingly.
Still a great car, perhaps the most reliable/driveable 'supercar', but it's starting to live off its name IMHO.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:07 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds fair on balance, no suprises here. GT3 get universal great reviews, R8 has been besting the TT in every review I've read.

No need to take offense to these reviews. We know the TT is a unique car that does almost everything well, and makes a perfect daily driver. GT2 and GT3 are more full bodied alternatives.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:58 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 807 Likes on 372 Posts

If the 997tt were not so easily moddable, I'd choose the GT3 over it. However, the extra almost hundred horsies I'm getting this week for just over 5k is hard to beat!
Old 06-26-2007, 05:06 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 925 Likes on 559 Posts

I took my son's '07 997 TT for an extended and spirited test drive before coming to my decision. For me, an easy and obvious decision. It is everything I want in a supercar, proven and practical. It was encouraging to read B-line's track write-up in the other thread.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:18 PM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I tested the 997TT today (whisper it, I think I may be placing an order in the coming weeks), and this is why I refuse to read American car magazines...

I don't want to drive my Turbo every day on the track. Hell, truth be told, if I take it to the track 5 times in its life, it'll be an event. And if I did want a track car, I'd buy a Lotus 2-11 and save £85K off a GT2...

However, I do want a car that is fast, fun, reliable, any-weather daily driver that I know will start every time, will not make me regret buying it when stuck in a traffic-jam, can take the girlfriend, a friend and a the weekly shop, and has all the answers in all conditions.

I couldn't give a rat's *** how many g's it can pull, how fast it laps a track or how many 100-0 stops the brakes can handle in a row. For me, that doesn't make the best car.

Judged by the criteria above, the Turbo fits perfectly into the 911 range, and continues to be the perfect car for me.

There, I've had my say... now I just need to keep thinking... do I REALLY want to do this?!?
Old 06-26-2007, 07:06 PM
ALPINE_997
Instructor

You do want to do it - so just do it. Whisper Whisper Whisper - get it.!!
Old 06-26-2007, 07:54 PM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Check my present d-d over on the 993TT board and I think u'll understand my dilemma...
Old 06-26-2007, 10:45 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 101 Posts

Urban- you said it best. Couldn't agree more. If you spend most of your life on a track- get a track car or the closest thing that's street legal, a GT3. If you spend more time on the road- US, UK wherever there's traffic, potholes, cops but still want a near exotic with supercar performance, get the turbo. I love the turbos and don't expect them to be the perfect track car. But in all the other ways we want to drive nice cars, it has my vote (july delivery).
Old 06-26-2007, 11:08 PM
rmira
Instructor

Originally Posted by texas911
Uh oh, so Car and Driver tested the TT with a bunch of other sports cars and good news is the TT came out first in class. The bad news is they put the TT in a class by itself! On the race track (VIR) it was 4 seconds behind the GT3 and 8 seconds behind the Z06! Even the R8 beat it by 1 second. They complained about the weight and mid lift throttle oversteer. And they added that it lost power after a few laps, over heating? They only gave the TT a couple of paragraphs since they couldn't really compare it to anything since it was in its own class.

They did say that they didn't know where the TT fit in the lineup as the C2S is very capable, the GT3 out handles it and with the new GT2, it won't be the fastest. But I disagree, the GT3 is a great handling car, but can't beat the TT as an everyday car, at least for me, I need the rear seats. Seems like the guys at Car and Driver can't get a handle on driving the TT on the track.
What course at VIR did they use? In the C&D Sept. '06 issue the Z06 beat the 997 TT on the Papenburg Handling course (1.6) miles by 1.70 sec. The longest course at VIR is 3.27 miles. Rough calculations have the Z06 beating the TT by about 3.5 seconds - not 8 seconds. Something does not add up, sure the TT does not handle as well as the GT3, does not have the power to weigh ratio of the Z06, and is probably more difficult to drive at it's limit than the R8, but it is still a great handling car with a prodigious amount of power and grip. How does the Z06 beat the TT on any track in the world by 8 seconds? What were the 'Ring' comparitive times between the Z06 and the TT? How does the R8 beat it at all?
Old 06-27-2007, 12:28 AM
whyb2nd
Burning Brakes

I was just posting on the same subject, some thing isn't right. A Z06 (07) just can't out handle a 911 tt to an 8 sec. win, after all they do have traction issues as well.

Chevy vs Porsche, shouldn't be in the same paragraph...
Old 06-28-2007, 01:04 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree with alot of the comments. the truth is that the cars driven in the article were driven by proffesional drivers-most of us couldn't duplicate, or come close to, their times. what do you guys think-don't you think that most of us, with our levle of driving expertise, could drive the awd 997tt around a track or road course faster then a zo6?

Quick Reply: AUG 07 Car and Driver 997TT Test...