Sponsored by:

AUG 07 Car and Driver 997TT Test...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 08:28 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,267 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Then how did they hook up at that temp? You have to admit 121 mph is pretty slow trap for a 11.2 car. Generally it takes slicks to get there with most cars at that trap speed, certainly not one with street tires on cold pavement. I still call b.s. on that time. It's like the 12.2 shelby time that is off base.
You musta forgot the TT is a AWD. Ah, the beauty of AWD, unlike a 500hp RWD car that is sensitive to the surface, extra power that would have otherwise wasted as wheelspins are transfer to the front 2 wheels. It also transfer power to either of the 4 wheels depends on which one has the most traction.

Z06 relies on 305mm of rubber aside to launch, the TT has those PLUS another couple 235s up front.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:40 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
You musta forgot the TT is a AWD. Ah, the beauty of AWD, unlike a 500hp RWD car that is sensitive to the surface, extra power that would have otherwise wasted as wheelspins are transfer to the front 2 wheels. It also transfer power to either of the 4 wheels depends on which one has the most traction.

Z06 relies on 305mm of rubber aside to launch, the TT has those PLUS another couple 235s up front.

Driving is one thing but launching is another, I garauntee you a TT can spin all fours, especially on cold pavement, I'm not saying it's not better than RWD, but even for the AWD, freezing cold pavement will kill your launching ability.

My TT traps 125-126 and I can wheel hop for ever and a day. The ideal condition for launching is cool temps with lots of sun, like freezing northern sunny days, to warm the pavement for traction but cool air that the car loves.

Quick Reply: AUG 07 Car and Driver 997TT Test...