Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AUG 07 Car and Driver 997TT Test...

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 12:56 AM
jlr
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is an interesting debate mainly because of the turbo's remote history as being a absolute performer rather than a Sports/GT car. Now that the TT has become more of all-rounder, it seems a bit odd to pit pure track-oriented cars like the Z06 (or GT3 for that matter) against a car that attempts to be everything. Most products that attempt such things are not "the ultimate" at any one thing, though they may be excellent in several respects. To me the shame is that they have priced the RWD turbo (GT2) out of the range of even those who have two nickels to rub together. A stripped, lower weight, RWD turbo at a similar price would be a welcome option. My problem with the current TT is that is just seems to make more sense to get something like an M5 if the practicality is so important, and to get a GT3 if the car is destined for tracks and twisty country roads. Nonetheless, being a P-car fiend, I understand the attraction. It is a seductively perfect car...
Old 06-30-2007, 10:21 PM
ignacio
Burning Brakes

yet another article that notes mid throttle understeer in the 997 tt. of course none of these guys know what they're doing. right?

no one ever said this about the 996 tt
Old 07-01-2007, 04:38 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the twin turbo is an all weather supercar. it has great comfort and great performance. certainly, i can see the attraction of the corvette zo6 and the audi r8-the r8 especially if you need all weather capability, the z06 has unbelievable acceleration and performance and comfort. my main point is that these are cars that are not oing to be used as track cars by the majority of their owners-they will be used as cars that accelerate briskly onto the hiways, away frm tolls and onto on ramps, the lotus has great numbers, and is a track cart, but it would not be a daily driver. i think the previous comment that it is difficult for these cars to be all things to everyyone is correct. the 997tt with its comfort, all weather capability and speed-the zo6 with it's great speed and comfort-thr audi r8, almost a 997tt like presence-these cars are all different than a lotus, which is a track car-nothing more or less.
in summary, the times at vir will have little to do with theire function with their owners.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:20 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,236 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by ignacio
yet another article that notes mid throttle understeer in the 997 tt. of course none of these guys know what they're doing. right?
I'll be the first to say the car does not feel good at the track on street tires. The N0 MPSC's are street tires that look like the trackable versions, but with less dry adhesion. I don't see the logic in taking a $130k car to the track using the wrong tires, just like I would not go to run sprints with loafers on.

You seem to be stuck on the poor handling characteristics of the TT as alluded to by some of the magazines. Journalists who get perhaps 1-2 days with a car don't really get the same experience as us who have 5-10k miles on the car, including perhaps 500+ track miles. Many of us have dedicated track cars and years of track experience. The car is great when shod with track tires. Most of us aren't crazy enough to keep driving a car that supposedly skids out wildly in corners. We can afford to buy a better car if needed.

I have a GT3 too that I did euro delivery on the beginning of June. I drove 1000 miles thru the Swiss and French Alps on tight twisting mountain roads, and on the Autobahn thru Germany and Austria. It is a great car, and I was surprised how relatively comfortable it was for communting duty. It has more front end feel and feedback. Still without a doubt I prefer the TT. The GT3 strains to achieve what the TT does effortlessly. The power discrepancy (my TT is tuned to 580ish hp) is enormous. Unless your daily commute is the tail of the Dragon, or you have no dedicated track toys, the GT3/RS is what most of us have already evolved out of - a sports car honed to the point of discomfort/inconvenience.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:33 AM
TT Gasman
Drifting

The TT is the only one of those cars that can be driven to the office all week, out to a 5 star restaurant on Friday night, then hit the track on the weeekend. Without changing a thing, and turn around and do it again, and do it well.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:58 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to be fair, couldn't the z06 do the same, assuming no snow?
Old 07-01-2007, 12:53 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Add, take to a 5 star restaurants with 2 kids. No other super car is as family friendly.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:04 PM
seattle_sun
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It all depends on the track and the drivers, right? In EVO magazine, the GT3 had a time of 1.23.40, the turbo had 1.23.55, and the Z06 had 1.24.45. This was done at their track in the UK.

Although, the R8 had a time of 1.22.10!
Old 07-01-2007, 01:11 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

The TT is the only one that can do it all, rain or shine, with my 2 kids!
Old 07-01-2007, 01:13 PM
ignacio
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by eclou
I'll be the first to say the car does not feel good at the track on street tires. The N0 MPSC's are street tires that look like the trackable versions, but with less dry adhesion. I don't see the logic in taking a $130k car to the track using the wrong tires, just like I would not go to run sprints with loafers on.

You seem to be stuck on the poor handling characteristics of the TT as alluded to by some of the magazines. Journalists who get perhaps 1-2 days with a car don't really get the same experience as us who have 5-10k miles on the car, including perhaps 500+ track miles. Many of us have dedicated track cars and years of track experience. The car is great when shod with track tires. Most of us aren't crazy enough to keep driving a car that supposedly skids out wildly in corners. We can afford to buy a better car if needed.

I have a GT3 too that I did euro delivery on the beginning of June. I drove 1000 miles thru the Swiss and French Alps on tight twisting mountain roads, and on the Autobahn thru Germany and Austria. It is a great car, and I was surprised how relatively comfortable it was for communting duty. It has more front end feel and feedback. Still without a doubt I prefer the TT. The GT3 strains to achieve what the TT does effortlessly. The power discrepancy (my TT is tuned to 580ish hp) is enormous. Unless your daily commute is the tail of the Dragon, or you have no dedicated track toys, the GT3/RS is what most of us have already evolved out of - a sports car honed to the point of discomfort/inconvenience.
you miss my point.

off throttle oversteer is undesirable. the 996 tt did not have it. the 997 tt does. i have no question that good driving techniques can minimize this defect. it is a shame, though, that the latest model of the porshe turbo has a defect that was tamed in the prior model turbo as well as the 996 c4s. this defect will make the 997tt less usable in the rain than the 996tt.

you see, i also believe that porsche turbo's should be daily drivers. every thanksgiving i change my summer tires for 4 dedicated snow tires on their own rims.

ignacio
Old 07-01-2007, 01:51 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

defect?
Old 07-01-2007, 02:09 PM
cannga
Instructor

Hi,

Are you an 996tt owner looking to change to 997tt? Or are you just visiting the 997tt forum to make owners worried? :-) Please stop your postings or I'll have to cancel my 997tt order (just kidding).

My opinion is that testing at the track is far from the way most of us drive 99% of the times, "daily driver" in your own words, and isn't lift throttle oversteer a universal condition, not a defect? In other words, it's a matter of how much. If I am not mistaken, C&D complains of oversteer in more than one car in this test, simply because they push every car to the limit.

I am not sure it's fair to go from lift throttle oversteer on a dry track at 10/10 driving to "less usable in the rain." In the rain, isn't traction THE major issue, and less lift throttle oversteer--assuming it gives you more confidence to go faster, might give you a problem with losing control and traction in the corner?

WRT this test, I am not surprised AT ALL. There will be cars that beat the turbo at the track, Porsche's own GT3 for example. But for a certain group of people with certain set of priorities, the 997tt has no equal. One just has to find out if he belongs to this group.

FWIW, if we are to believe others' reviews, I've yet to see a 997tt owner who had had 996tt stating he would go back because of lift throttle oversteer. A few in fact states it's a huge improvement overall. So I'd think it's safe to move on. The 996tt is a great car, my only criticism is that it really looks SO dated after a few short years, especially when it sits next to the 997, but I am aware this is a matter of taste.

Regards,
Can

you miss my point.

off throttle oversteer is undesirable. the 996 tt did not have it. the 997 tt does. i have no question that good driving techniques can minimize this defect. it is a shame, though, that the latest model of the porshe turbo has a defect that was tamed in the prior model turbo as well as the 996 c4s. this defect will make the 997tt less usable in the rain than the 996tt.

you see, i also believe that porsche turbo's should be daily drivers. every thanksgiving i change my summer tires for 4 dedicated snow tires on their own rims.

ignacio

Last edited by cannga; 07-01-2007 at 02:28 PM.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:44 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 520 Posts

I always find it amusing how we lose sight of the big picture whenever an article like this is published. There are so many variables in determining performance. Basically, I guess you can't argue that these were the results on that particular track with this group of cars. On another track the results may be different. If there were absolutes, then why even have an F1 series of races? Just run one race and call it a year. If there weren't differences between tracks, then professional teams wouldn't need to adjust the setups of the cars.

So the Z06 beat the 997tt on this track - congratulations. Now, run ten other tracks and let's see what happens.

In any case, I'm not cancelling my order.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:01 PM
AAHTT
Racer

you miss my point.

ignacio
lift throttle oversteer does not happen in a straight line and whoever is lifting in the middle of a turn doesn't have a clue and should not be driving on a track, let alone a TT on a track.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:50 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,236 Likes on 606 Posts

you miss my point.

off throttle oversteer is undesirable. the 996 tt did not have it. the 997 tt does.
ignacio
Porsche did not defy the laws of physics with the 996TT. Lift-off oversteer is a phenomenon applicable to all cars. I use it intentionally in slow corners, and sometimes trail brake as well to help rotate the car. What you are not wanting to recognize is that the 997TT is not a wildly unstable platform. You are incorrectly inferring from the mags that the TT is set-up wrong ~ too stiff a sway bar in the rear. There are perhaps a dozen youtube vids and pics of wrecked 997GT3's. There are none showing wrecked TT's. I don't understand your motive, but I see at this point that you are not interested in owner feedback/experiences at all.

Quick Reply: AUG 07 Car and Driver 997TT Test...