Sponsored by:

Porsche World Roadshow (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 02:59 PM
DMuitW
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Porsche World Roadshow (pics)

After having been in Malaysia, and before going to Russia, the Porsche World Roadshow was in Belgium last week at an old deserted military facility (and runway) just across the border in France.
I had the luck to be part of it and drive Porsche new models.

I have added pictures, but due to diskspace restrictions (and even linking restrictions) I had to outsource them to:

http://www.detremmerie.info/porsche/

Some of the activities; slalom course, offroad test with the new Cayenne S, a roadbook, handling course, moose test,...

A great experience without any doubt, and a couple of things will remain in my memory:
- The Cayman S has really surprised all of us. We didn't expect this much track capacity, it actually handles better than any carrera, although there's just a bit of power shortage in long straights. The manual gearbox with optional sport shifter is really accurate and fast.

- The new Cayenne Turbo: its all and its nothing. Its unlike anything I've ever driven. When you get near to it, you get its beautiful deep V8 roar. Once in it, there's no way of letting the engine go half-way. Its no gas, or full gas. Believe me, when you hit, the enige flies into rpm's lightning fast, producing a sound like the world is imminently coming to an end. After coming out a fast corner at 115 mph, the tiptronic just shifts down and it goes to 170 mph in no time. 0-62 mph, 5.1 sec.
Stability management keeps it leveled during turns, theres no wobble whatsoever. But in the end, it remains a 2.4 tonne SUV which you can't fill up completely with it still running stationary, and with capabilities you have no way of using on the public roads... Nice to test, but not something I'd want

- The 997 Turbo. Well, that's what its all about .
We used it to do the moose test, which consists out of avoiding cones on a wet surface at speeds of 62 mph, both with PASM on and off. We first had the chance of driving - shooting - it up to the other end of the runway. No way of expressing how addictive it is on a deserted runway with miles and miles of tarmac to just floor it, and to keep your foot in the carpet until you get scared... The sound as a spectator is incredible once you get it in its optimal power band.
The version I drove was a tiptronic, which really did a great job. It leaves me with the question how in the world Porsche has put all this ferocious power into a manual as well, without breaking it instantly...

All the best,
Matt
Old 06-17-2007, 06:05 PM
hellgelb
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like a great day.

(And I really like the picture below; any chance you could post / provide a full-size copy? Cheers !)

Old 06-17-2007, 11:33 PM
john0719
Racer

I went to this event two years ago here in Taiwan. It was alot of fun. I'm looking forward to the Roadshow again towards the end of the year.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:16 PM
DMuitW
AutoX

Thanks for the kind comments!

If you're refering to the pic in my avatar; I've uploaded it to http://users.pandora.be/mdt/997TT1.jpg in 1600*1200 pix.

Cheers,MAtt
Old 06-18-2007, 05:28 PM
hellgelb
Advanced

Not sure what happened to the picture link in my post, I meant this shot. Thanks Matt !

Last edited by hellgelb; 08-23-2009 at 09:47 AM.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:58 AM
DMuitW
AutoX

You're welcome, I've added that one at http://users.pandora.be/mdt/997TT2.jpg

Matt
Old 06-19-2007, 08:12 AM
hellgelb
Advanced

Thanks v. much.

Quick Reply: Porsche World Roadshow (pics)