Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 01:58 AM
Sputnik
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Reason To Wait

I am on market of getting 997 turbo.
Two options exist.
Fist one is to order the car to you specs. But this route takes about 6 months from start to finish.
Another approach is to look around for the turbos available at nearest dealerships.
As I see there are quite few cars available at a distance of 100 miles from the area live at.
All at MSPR.
I read a lot of posts with subject starting something like "Wait is Over", or "After 4 months it (she) arrived" and so on.
I wonder why just not to get the one available TODAY? Right now. 20 minutes all it would take? Why to wait for 6 months...
Thanks for your feedback!
Old 06-10-2007, 03:14 AM
nickoz
Track Day

Here in Sydney Australia the wait is 10 months minimum. To add insult to injury the local price once tariffs, import duties and luxury car taxes are added is equivalent to US$320,000 (Australian $380,000) for a reasonably well optioned '08 TT.

When I first got the bug I looked at the few local low and no mileage cars that were available, but while they might have come close to what I was looking for, they were always lacking something that I wanted, like the Sports Chrono option or they had the wrong transmission etc.

So I decided to join the queue. That meant a wait of some months before I could spec my car. During that time I scoured this and other boards for information and ideas to make my car unique to me. I learnt a LOT! The extra learning time enabled me to discover and evaluate a host of options that I would have had no clue about had I just walked into a dealership and bought a car. I also realised that the well intentioned sales people at the dealerships were also pretty clueless when it came to some of the finer points of the car and option possibilities.

So now my car is ordered and I have another 6 months or so to wait. Would I like to take delivery tomorrow? Of course I would. Since that is not going to happen I find myself taking a perverse kind of pleasure in the waiting game. I continue to sniff around the boards, quietly celebrating with each new owner as they announce their own deliveries. I take vicarious pleasure in studying the photos new owners generously share with the users of these boards, each time getting a little more insight into what my own car will be like, and how it will drive. I know that as my own delivery date draws close, my excitement and anticipation is going to increase exponentially.

I am enjoying the process. I've never had to do this with any other car purchase, and I think the long wait will make the day I take delivery just that much more exciting. Maybe it's something to do with the pleasure of the hunt/chase? I'm sure there are many who want instant gratification and find the wait completely unpalatable - good luck to them, I hope they find what they want quickly and that they are happy with their car. But for me this whole "hurry up and wait" ritual has become part of the process of acquiring what may well be the best car I ever own, and I'm enjoying it!
Old 06-10-2007, 03:25 AM
Duane993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you going to pay full retail for it, wait and order exactly what you want. If you're looking for a discount then find something on the floor at a dealer and work it. All the dealers in San Diego have at least one turbo in stock. I'm sure LA is the same.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:13 AM
hiflexaust
Rennlist Member

Well Said Nick........and hope your car lives up to every expectation you have! When you get it, if you are not already in it, join the Porsche club of NSW and come play with us.....there are quite a few of us Aussies here and theres always someone up for a drive, or just a "park and look"
Old 06-10-2007, 11:42 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Army

Received 938 Likes on 567 Posts

Hello Sputnik. We met a couple years ago on one of the Malibu canyon runs. I think it was you who got your 993 stolen, so perhaps you are feeling the withdrawal worse than us.

Anyway, there are 3 ways to buy a TT:

Save money - $5K or more off MSRP as the '08 MY approaches.
Get it now - my son shopped 3 days for his, got a great deal in the color (black) he wanted.
Spec it exactly as you wish. I keep cars 10+ years, so I have to have it exactly right at the start.

Whatever you choose, good luck and hope to see you on the road in a Porsche again soon.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:10 PM
Dan993
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ordered my car and waited. No hurry to get it.

I was at one SoCal dealer this week and noted that he has two in the showroom, with nearly the same options as mine. Color differences, that's about it. So, if you find what you like off the floor, why wait?

BTW, this dealer (McKenna) has a paint to sample in non-metallic gray. Asking a substantial premium for that car, but very different looking. Check it out, if it is still there.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:50 AM
nickoz
Track Day

Thanks hiflex! In fact I'm planning to attend my first Porsche Club NSW meeting in some years next Tuesday at Scuderia Veloce. I may not have my new wheels just yet but I need to start checking out options for installing AWE exhaust, GIAC and such. Hope there are some competent local tuners who can supply and fit all the fun bits when I'm ready!
Old 06-11-2007, 06:01 AM
intouch1
Advanced

thats the difference, between getting exactly the spec you want or going for a pre- spec'd car.

if you find one to your liking, get it now. waiting however, is fun too....you feel the pressure building up......instant gratification is not always the best option...

nothing worse then buyers remorse....i.e. 'I should have'
Old 06-11-2007, 09:28 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

At the 130k price point, I say spec it exactly how YOU want it, not how the sales guy chose.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:22 PM
Mike/A.W.E.
user

nickoz-

Send me an email when you have a moment. I have a great Aussie dealer that can help you get our exahust and G.I.A.C. software.

mike@awe-tuning.com

Hope to earn your businesss.

-Mike
Old 06-13-2007, 12:49 AM
luiscarlos
Instructor

I will have to wait 5-6 M to get mine like I want....

Quick Reply: A Reason To Wait