Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TT production complete

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 01:16 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Oh yeah I'm driving it! I'll pick up some snows this summer/fall.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:29 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree, chris. i drive it every day to work. for what we pay for it, and since it has awd, why not drive it. i put snows on the 997tt last winter and drove it-as you know, we didn't have much snow, but whatever snow we did have didn't bother the car. for real deep snow, i use the cayenne, but at least if i take it to work, and it starts to snow, i don't have to worry about getting home. i got my snows from tire rack. i didn't even get new wheels-i just had them change tires on my original wheels. new wheels are a bunch of dollars.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:32 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just one more thing chris-in the slippery stuff, i keep the sport setting off, as the sport setting will make your traction control less intrussive-and in snow, i want the traction control to be real intrussive.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:37 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Actually with so many guys switching out rims, I'll try and pick up a set, but if I dont I'll do the same.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:04 PM
PbPedis
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rmira
Your argument makes perfect sense. I just can't figure out how it enhances traction. I understand how the PTM works - that makes perfect sense to me, I just don't understand Porsche's comment on their tech spec.." For optimum traction, manual transmission cars can also be equipped with an optional mechanical limited-slip rear differential."

An LSD directs power to the wheels with the most traction. Let's take an AWD car w/o LSD. Although it is 4 wheel drive, if you drove with one half of the car on pavement, the other half on snow, the front and rear wheels on snow would spin furiously as all the power would be directed there and you would find that you wouldn't be accelerating very quickly. A rear LSD would ensure that power would be directed to the rear wheel on pavement as well.

In a situation on the track, during cornering, you unload the inside rear wheel. Without LSD, under power, the inside rear wheel would spin and you would lose traction. With LSD, this would direct more power to the outside rear wheel, the one that has traction. Hope that helps.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:37 PM
brakedust
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tt surgeon- i have a tt en route from germany right now, and dealer is swapping out my rims for a set of gt3/rs rims that i like a bit more. i will have a brand new set of stock tt rims with no home if you're interested in making me an offer. not sure what they retail for, but i'll give you a nice discount!

jcb
Old 06-07-2007, 11:11 PM
rmira
Instructor

Originally Posted by PbPedis
An LSD directs power to the wheels with the most traction. Let's take an AWD car w/o LSD. Although it is 4 wheel drive, if you drove with one half of the car on pavement, the other half on snow, the front and rear wheels on snow would spin furiously as all the power would be directed there and you would find that you wouldn't be accelerating very quickly. A rear LSD would ensure that power would be directed to the rear wheel on pavement as well.

In a situation on the track, during cornering, you unload the inside rear wheel. Without LSD, under power, the inside rear wheel would spin and you would lose traction. With LSD, this would direct more power to the outside rear wheel, the one that has traction. Hope that helps.
Thank you, yes I understand. I also understand it was pretty dumb of me for not ordering it - oh well, next time
Old 06-08-2007, 12:40 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Originally Posted by brakedust
tt surgeon- i have a tt en route from germany right now, and dealer is swapping out my rims for a set of gt3/rs rims that i like a bit more. i will have a brand new set of stock tt rims with no home if you're interested in making me an offer. not sure what they retail for, but i'll give you a nice discount!

jcb
pm me a price bro.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:55 PM
PbPedis
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you, yes I understand. I also understand it was pretty dumb of me for not ordering it - oh well, next time
Maybe, but maybe not. Remember that most of the weight is over the rear end and these cars have fat tires. It's hard for one of the rear wheels to lose traction in these cars, and LSD is really only helpful when that happens.

I just sold my C2S which didn't have LSD. It was hard to lose traction in that thing because of the factors mentioned above. Mind you, the C2S didn't have 505 lb-ft of torque either
Old 06-09-2007, 03:35 AM
whyb2nd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PbPedis
Maybe, but maybe not. Remember that most of the weight is over the rear end and these cars have fat tires. It's hard for one of the rear wheels to lose traction in these cars, and LSD is really only helpful when that happens.

I just sold my C2S which didn't have LSD. It was hard to lose traction in that thing because of the factors mentioned above. Mind you, the C2S didn't have 505 lb-ft of torque either
Hello, knock knock, its called racing, have you taken a 480hp 997tt to a track yet? High end driving the rear gets a little loose, lsd makes hotter laps due to power to the rubber that needs it, period..
Old 06-09-2007, 12:13 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Re lsd:
I will be interested in the effect of the lsd on partial and lift-throttle cornering. The theoretical advantages when applying power are apparant.
This differential has been characterized as "locking". On my race cars, an auto-locking dif tends to promote ready oversteer, as both tires must rotate at the same speed, negating the "differential" aspect that allows a car to corner without kicking out the rear. Cars with 'lockers" must slightly drift. I will hazard a guess that the C and D article that rated the Audi above the 997tt may have had a tt with the locking feature. C and D thought the 997tt was too tail-happy, which is had to understand from the perspective of a 999tt owner, but may be Porsche engineering's response to criticism re understeer. However, if the differential locks in a corner, the rear tends to come out very predictably, and allows throttle modulation thru the corner. That's wat you see in dirt track cars.
I will be interested in the first side-by-side test. The issue will not be snow or rain traction, as our cars have a ton of that. AS
Old 06-12-2007, 12:13 PM
rmira
Instructor

I received word from the sales person that my TT is built and waiting on a boat. (I've been given the VIN#). What is the average ETA at dealer after completion.

Thank You
As of today, still waiting on a boat.

Quick Reply: TT production complete