Sponsored by:

fabspeed exhaust and stock tip fit

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 12:09 AM
golfguy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fabspeed exhaust and stock tip fit

finally got my fabspeed exhaust installed today despite the snowy weather. from the short drive home, it sounded great. my observations were:

- very civilized at idle
- nice throaty tone under light acceleration
- aggressive sound at full thottle
- slightly louder than stock with the windows up

however, i am very disappointed with how the stock tips fit. they now stick out about 1.25" from the bumper despite fabspeed claims that stock tips are compatible. you can see from the picture below that it looks goofy.

anyone have ideas on improving the fit? yes, i know someone is going to suggest going with the quad tips (but i would rather retain the stock look).

tia for any assistance.

Old 04-06-2007, 12:37 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You need to loosen everything back up and tap them back with a rubber mallet. They will stick out a little but not that much. Besides, ride those things and do the FS tips!
Old 04-06-2007, 12:58 AM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 682 Likes on 347 Posts

one of the things I noticed with the FS tips that i'm not crazy about is that they also appear to stick out a bit too much. Maybe I need to look at them again.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:35 AM
golfguy
Racer

Originally Posted by PorschePhD
You need to loosen everything back up and tap them back with a rubber mallet. They will stick out a little but not that much. Besides, ride those things and do the FS tips!
thanks for the advise, Stephen. i'll give a it a try ... otherwise, i'll be calling you for a set of black quad tips.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:55 AM
AAHTT
Racer

Originally Posted by E55AMG
one of the things I noticed with the FS tips that i'm not crazy about is that they also appear to stick out a bit too much. Maybe I need to look at them again.
These are my FS tips on Cargraphic exhaust. I think they fit great but it took some wiggling and fiddling to get them perfectly symetrical, no complaints here.
Attached Images  
Old 04-06-2007, 09:48 AM
golfguy
Racer

Originally Posted by E55AMG
Chris, i think you are right. have a look at the following photo. i guess we need to spend the time to fiddle and get it "right".

Originally Posted by AAH986
These are my FS tips on Cargraphic exhaust. I think they fit great but it took some wiggling and fiddling to get them perfectly symetrical, no complaints here.
AAH986, the tips looks good. guess i just have to be patient ... and careful when i'm tapping with the mallet. it's hard to imagine there's an inch of "adjustment".

Last edited by golfguy; 04-06-2007 at 10:08 AM.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:08 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 607 Posts

There is a lot of movement possible. With the stock tips the clamps may need to be not only loosened but I actually removed the inner collar/sleeve (it looks like a bracelet) to make fitment easier on my AWE exhaust. That way, you can put it pretty much anywhere you want
Old 04-06-2007, 11:37 AM
atomic80
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

In a way, it's probably a good thing that it's sticking out a bit because if it's a bit further in then soot will start sticking to your rear bumper.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:12 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 682 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by AAH986
That looks great! I'm probably going to FS again on Monday and will look again but it seemed that even on their car they stuck out a bit too much for my liking.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:35 PM
AAHTT
Racer

Originally Posted by atomic80
In a way, it's probably a good thing that it's sticking out a bit because if it's a bit further in then soot will start sticking to your rear bumper.
you are right, they should not be flush with the plastic, mine are at least 1 cm out and no soot on the bumper. If they stick out too much you could accidentally burn your leg or someone else's leg
Old 04-06-2007, 05:56 PM
drbf
Pro

golfguy, are you happy with the FS sound ?
Old 04-06-2007, 11:46 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If someone wants my pics let me know. I will post them. They are NOT suppose to be flush.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:23 PM
golfguy
Racer

Originally Posted by eclou
There is a lot of movement possible. With the stock tips the clamps may need to be not only loosened but I actually removed the inner collar/sleeve (it looks like a bracelet) to make fitment easier on my AWE exhaust. That way, you can put it pretty much anywhere you want
eclou,

thanks for the tip (no pun intended). are you referring to the band that holds the muffler (shown below) in place? if so, should i be concerned about:
- stress on the turbo or exhaust manifold mounts
- movement causing rubbing of the exhaust tips on the exhaust cut-outs in the bumper

Old 04-07-2007, 12:33 PM
golfguy
Racer

Originally Posted by drbf
golfguy, are you happy with the FS sound ?
drbf,

initial impression was good but i didn't drive it hard due to weather and the fact i had summer tires on. i'll provide a better report next week when it warms up.

btw, i have the fs exhaust that Stephen (PorschePhD) at Imagine Auto stocks. i believe it's the quieter of the two mufflers (tipronic version?) that fs makes.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:45 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,087 Likes on 623 Posts

Mine stick out too.

But it sounds terrific. Seems to be getting louder with time, but that could just be perception.

Quick Reply: fabspeed exhaust and stock tip fit