Sponsored by:

Turbo Break-in Tips

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 02:59 PM
intouch1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Break-in Tips

While some here will certainly think....Not Again....

Picking up my car tomorrow. Its got 17 kms on it now. Will take it for a 500 km drive and will keep it below 4200 rpms while varying engine speeds throughout the trip. Upon completion of the trip i am intending to drive it aggressively and do some accelleration runs from standstill and redlining it etc...

All comments welcome.............
Old 03-29-2007, 04:45 PM
AAHTT
Racer

Originally Posted by intouch1

Picking up my car tomorrow. Its got 17 kms on it now. Will take it for a 500 km drive and will keep it below 4200 rpms while varying engine speeds throughout the trip. Upon completion of the trip i am intending to drive it aggressively and do some accelleration runs from standstill and redlining it etc...

I think someone said this before, the 4200 rpm limit is most likely to protect the driver rather than the engine. Those engines are already broken in, the drivers are not.
Always vary your rpm, even up to redline and you'll be fine.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:16 PM
dolt
Instructor

on a related topic, what is this business about letting the car idle for a minute or two before shutting it off? what is this meant to do?
Old 03-29-2007, 09:48 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,020 Likes on 520 Posts

I would think that the idling for a minute would have to do with allowing the turbos to cool before shutting the car down. I used to do this in my Audi TT and my 96 993 turbo.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:13 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dr. G
I would think that the idling for a minute would have to do with allowing the turbos to cool before shutting the car down. I used to do this in my Audi TT and my 96 993 turbo.
doc-you are right. it is to give the turbo charger time to circulate oil so as to cool the oil and impeller down, so when you shut the engine off, the oil doesn't "coke" inside of the turbocharger. it is interesting that the operating handbook doesn't recommend this, but with any turbocharged engine that i have had, i have tried to idle it for a minute or two at shutdown. whether it helps or not, i do not know.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:02 AM
dolt
Instructor

interesting - thanks - I also do not recall ever reading anything about this in my 996 TT owners manual - where do these recommendations come from then?
Old 03-30-2007, 12:03 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

good question-it seems to be the recommendation of many prople who are engine experts, but you are right-porsche doesn't seem to recommend it. i have a turbocharged airplane, and i afford the same care to that engine. i have never read, though, that letting it idle for a couple minutes has proven to help, like in a study.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:01 PM
Sammyh
Intermediate

Default 997TT Manual Says Idle Before Shutdown

I think it's around page 83 of the 997TT operating manual. It says that after a hard drive (whatever that means), idle the car for 2 minutes before shutdown, but it doesn't explain why this is recommended. So I sit and idle whereever I go.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:48 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

thanx sammy.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:54 PM
gradyex
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by intouch1

Funny i have the exact same plans (only pick-up is 4-5 weeks away). I also plan to do a 500 mile breakin (keeping the RPM's under 4200) and varying the throttle/speeds often. I will probably do this in 2 250 mile initial runs. After that I am changing the oil to flush out any metal particles before letting her rip! I like doing my own oil changes. Quick question for anyone who knows: What are the torque settings for the 2 drain bolts and the filter on top of the engine? Thanks, I cant find the DYI for the 997TT. My 997S was wasy to find (one bolt, one filter both on the underside). 2 different engines so 2 different procedures. The torque settigs for the S were 37 ft-lb pound for the drain screw and 19 ft-lb for the filter.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:51 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

One more quick thing I remember about something I had read on rennlist when I picked up my first porsche. Someone had recommended a way to seat the rings during break in by keeping the car in a high gear (5th or 6th) at low speeds and getting on the throttle. The car would stay well under 4200 rpm, but would build up a good deal of pressure in the combustion chamber. This was for a NA engine, so I'm not sure if this method would have any ill effects on the turbocharging system.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:36 PM
bbywu
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dr. G
One more quick thing I remember about something I had read on rennlist when I picked up my first porsche. Someone had recommended a way to seat the rings during break in by keeping the car in a high gear (5th or 6th) at low speeds and getting on the throttle. The car would stay well under 4200 rpm, but would build up a good deal of pressure in the combustion chamber. This was for a NA engine, so I'm not sure if this method would have any ill effects on the turbocharging system.

From the Carrera's owner's manual:

"Never lug the engine in high gear at low speeds. This rule applies at all times, not just during the break-in period"
Old 03-31-2007, 12:36 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

1) No you get it up to high RPM in a low gear so the load is minimal and run up the revs and let them coast down. This will expand and seat the piston rings. So pu tit in 2nd and run up to 6000+ and just take your foot off and let it engine brake down

2) This car has a real race engine in it, not a pretender. Drive it normal to hard during break-in

3) You can idle parked at the end, but a better way is to just take the last two miles at normal to slow engine speeds so as not to coke the oil

In any case...have fun. This is why you bought it, isn't it?
Old 03-31-2007, 09:49 AM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Allegretto, thanks for the clarification. BTW, are you a musician or the inventor of the famous laser? Just figured I'd ask considering your monoker.

Quick Reply: Turbo Break-in Tips