Sponsored by:

Engine operating temps

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 11:15 PM
Ken89911T
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Engine operating temps

My 997TT is my first "wet" turbo. My previous, air-cooled car (930) came with advice to avoid hard boost levels unti the engine reached a suitable operating temp as indicated by the engine temp gauge. Assuming the same kind of general precaution is resonable for the wet cars, what temp should be used as a guide for engine operating temp safe for full boost? Coolant temp? or oil temp? The owner's manual doesn't address this and I'm hoping some of you seasoned 996TT owners might know. Seems like oil temp would be the one to use. Any opinions? TIA
Old 02-03-2007, 02:13 AM
Doug Hillary
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
to kick this off, it is relatively unknown that the main anti-wear (AW) additives in the oils we use (synthetics) typically start to become most effective above about 55C. Most of "our" lubricants are comfortable operating in a "sump" temperature of around 90-120C

It is common to have oil return temperatures from turbochargers in the 140-180C range. An IR temperature reader makes such readings quite easy

It is common for the oil's temeprature to lag behind the coolant's for up to about 20 minutes or more at cold startup depending on ambient/use etc. - until the "normal" operating equilibrium is reached

It is also common - depending on the lubricant's formulation (Viscosity Index) - to have a huge disparity in Approved lubricants with only small viscosity variations as they warm up.
As an example, at an oil temeprature of 40C, Mobil 1 0w-40 has a viscosity around 30% thinner than a 5w-40 version

I hope this helps - IMHO in answering your query, the lubricant's temperature is the best guideline

Regards

Quick Reply: Engine operating temps