Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buyer's Remorse

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 11:49 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

you can get out of a lease easily just sell the car. But I certainly would not do it for a TT:

The 997 TT is the Cayenne Turbo of 911's -- FAT, OVERWEIGHT AND LUMPY

Hang with your car, get a GT3 as Arling suggests [that's what I'm doing], or buy an SL 55 which is better looking than the TT... and I hate MB's
Old 01-27-2007, 02:34 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

It's a little tougher early in a lease, you have to recoupe the total lease pymnts and the rv, you'd have to sell it for way over msrp, and that ain't gonna happen on a targa. Sorry.
I'd get the TT after a yr or so, then the hit isn't so bad (asssuming you bought it), a gt3 is nice and all, just not practical for me. In the end they are both just street cars anyway, the TT is way more adaptive as a DD. If you want a track only car, why even f around with a street GT3, just buy a cup car and be done with it, insurance companies are taking the fun out of street cars at the track anyway.
Don't forget the TT runs the 'ring faster than a GT3 anyway power seats, full leather, awd and all.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:32 PM
AAHTT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by watt
you can get out of a lease easily just sell the car. But I certainly would not do it for a TT:

The 997 TT is the Cayenne Turbo of 911's -- FAT, OVERWEIGHT AND LUMPY

Hang with your car, get a GT3 as Arling suggests [that's what I'm doing], or buy an SL 55 which is better looking than the TT... and I hate MB's
Well, in sport mode my fat, overweight and lumpy 997TT is as nimble as my 2800 pounds boxster up curvy mountain roads and only much much faster.
Have you ever driven one fast (997 TT that is)?
I say whoever wants to trade to a 997TT and cannot make a decision, to go drive one fast. Experiencing the car is not the same as reading posts online, but what do I know?
Old 01-27-2007, 12:43 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think the point is there is more "experience" in a GT3 than a TT!
Old 01-27-2007, 01:19 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Colm
I think the point is there is more "experience" in a GT3 than a TT!

The reason I have more than one performance car is that no one car provides all the things I am looking for. Bet you'll agree.

I have to agree with the surgeon however that insurance companies, ever more sophisticated police speed traps and just the general volume of traffic have all conspired, in my geography at least, to make driving fast on the street a very small fraction of my drive time.

On the track one can "experience" what a GT-3 has to offer, but there are far more track-worthy cars at a much lower price than that.

None of this should be construed to mean that I dont think the GT-3 is very cool. In fact my dealer called me to come in and spec the RS I have had on order (first one for the dealer). But I'm trying to decide what I should do. I really like my fat, lumpy and overweight TT (with wussy Tip no less) for its purpose. A daily driver. And as others have pointed out, it really will suprise you at the track. I can keep up with the bad boys and their 996 GT-3's right now with the Bridgestones.

Come spring I'd like the RS, but an Ariel Atom or Radical will shake it like a ragdoll on the track for far less money.

C'est la Vie
Old 01-27-2007, 02:40 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Do Icon a favor and give him your RS allocation!

IMO, anybody can be fast in a TT at the track, because the car compensates for the driver. To achieve the same speeds in a GT3 (versusTT) requires a little bit more driving skill. That's part of what I meant by experience. I sold my TT because I felt it was a barrier (for me) to building required experience.

I agree there is no one perfect car, but I'd go the Cup car route before I'd go the Ariel or Radial, just for the reliability alone.

I am not in any way "dissing" the TT as a car, or daily driver, but for precision feedback then GT2/3 is the ticket. (again IMO)
Old 01-29-2007, 04:47 AM
Vudu
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

OR... you can Supercharge the Targa!!! Now THAT would be one unique ride!
Old 01-30-2007, 11:39 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by AAH986
Have you ever driven one fast (997 TT that is)?
I say whoever wants to trade to a 997TT and cannot make a decision, to go drive one fast. Experiencing the car is not the same as reading posts online, but what do I know?
gee,

i actually owned one, drove it fast, drove the mountians of Malibu where its weight shows glaringly... and sold it. but what do i know? great it's fast, but not a sports car.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:16 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 883 Likes on 366 Posts

I guess thats what makes a horserace. I drove my TT through Encinal Canyon on Sunday and had a blast, especially with the roads being wet. The GT3 is a very special car and the feedback is better than the TT. That said I choose to keep my TT and sell the GT3.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:36 PM
mrpc12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thread hijack alert..............

I'm struggling with the decision bewtween the Turbo and GT3 myself. I've got my arms around a Feb build Meteor GrayTurbo 6spd (no deposit) as well as a March build Guards Red GT3 with PCCB's ($5K non-refundable deposit). My practical side says the TT is better for my 4 miles one way daily commute and infrequent track visits. But I really think I want the GT3 and plan to keep this next car for longer than my signature suggests.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:01 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

GT3, already got 5k down. That's 5000 good reasons!
Old 01-30-2007, 06:02 PM
mrpc12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
GT3, already got 5k down. That's 5000 good reasons!
True. But I'm sure I can find someone to take over my order and get my $5K back if I want to.

I'm afraid of what might happen when the Turbo comes in and I go look at it.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:14 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

You can always get another TT; but you might (?) not get another GT3!
Old 01-30-2007, 06:52 PM
mrpc12
Addict
Rennlist Member

^^^ Yes, that's what is pushing me towards the GT3 now that it's more forgiving on the street and it has a sunroof. Joke.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:15 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 883 Likes on 366 Posts

Trust me Porsche will build enough GT3's so that everyone who wants one will get one, don't let that be the deciding factor.

Quick Reply: Buyer's Remorse