Sponsored by:

tip or not

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 12:04 PM
russjr37
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tip or not

i have a chance to get very soon a tt with tiptronic whose previous customer/owner had to back out for financial reasons. can you give me some opinions/reasons to take or avoid the tip? this car will not be tracked, but will be driven vigorously. all advice appreciated. thanks.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:11 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the tip is faster then the 6 speed
Old 01-19-2007, 12:26 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my Tip. Shifts faster than any mortal in Sport and will not leave you high and dry during sharp maneuvers. Will never go back...maybe DSG when it gets to about 3rd Gen because I'm sure at least Gen One will be questionable.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:27 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
the tip is faster then the 6 speed
Not according to the Factory test drivers, you have more control with the 6 speed and can therefore be faster on a difficult track, it isn't all about straight line speed!
Old 01-19-2007, 12:29 PM
golfguy
Racer

Originally Posted by russjr37
i have a chance to get very soon a tt with tiptronic whose previous customer/owner had to back out for financial reasons. can you give me some opinions/reasons to take or avoid the tip? this car will not be tracked, but will be driven vigorously. all advice appreciated. thanks.
rather than to ask us whether to get a tip or not, you should ask yourself that question. for example, some of the considerations that would sway you towards a tip would be:

- mostly a city car and is used in heavy traffic
- want the quickest acceleration times (consistently)
- tend to burn out clutches
- have another car with a manual transmission
- don't intend to track the car
- SO or GF will drive the car ocassionally (sorry if this is mcp comment)

if you are still 50/50 after going through your list, drive both of them (i know they are hard to find) to evaluate. also ask the dealer about resale values or popularity of turbo tips in your area ... or what the value of a tip will be after porsche introduces the new dsg transmission.

good luck with your choice ... it'll be a great car with either tranny.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:54 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Colm
Not according to the Factory test drivers, you have more control with the 6 speed and can therefore be faster on a difficult track, it isn't all about straight line speed!
true but the diffrence is between a professinal driver and joe blow sunday racer the tip will faster even around corners
Old 01-19-2007, 02:03 PM
RSA333
Racer

Also- although I don't have the magazine issues in front of me, both David Murry and Lucas Luhr have both been quoted as saying that they would rather race the Tip version, because they could hold the line better without shifting. These are great 911 drivers. I can get the references if you don't believe me.

Go for the TIP - the TIP lives.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:30 PM
AAHTT
Racer

Originally Posted by russjr37
Just because you asked, I am gonna say go with the tip. A manual lover like myself would never ask that question, but that's me. Good luck anyway.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:38 PM
turbo'S'
Intermediate

I got a Tip after test driving the 6 speed as I couldnt change the damn gears fast enough. Kept hitting the rev limiter all the time. I am sure I would likely get used to that but unless you plan to track the car or are very adept at slick shifting through the windy roads the Tip is very competant.
I have had 4 tip cars now and once you have got the hang of it, it is very good for most mortals.
It is also useful to be holding on with two hands at all times when pressing the throttle hard to the floor as the acceleration is truley mind blowing! Thats my opinion for what its worth.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:28 PM
Vincy
Advanced

Default Get the tip

The tip is great, you can go faster and more certainly on twisties because the tip keeps the right gear for you. In sport mode its very smart, downshifts when needed, holds the right gear in turns, allows you to shot away after the turn. And you can't shift manually any faster. This makes the car a great daily driver even in east coast traffic.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:36 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Drove one while down in Alabama. My laps were a bit quicker but I felt a little more "seperated" from the car.

I just like "rowing" through the gears...
Old 01-19-2007, 08:06 PM
2k7997tt
Advanced

You won't regret either choice....everyone seems happy with the car they selected (or inherited).
Old 01-19-2007, 09:11 PM
boolala
Race Car

Normally a question like this would have the "real men who drive sports cars" up in arms. What happened? Are they whupped this easily?
Old 01-19-2007, 10:02 PM
brownie61
Intermediate

Originally Posted by boolala
Normally a question like this would have the "real men who drive sports cars" up in arms. What happened? Are they whupped this easily?
Tired and bored of the same old question more likely. It seems to be a weekly thread...
Old 01-19-2007, 10:16 PM
parsecnc4
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AAH986
Just because you asked, I am gonna say go with the tip. A manual lover like myself would never ask that question, but that's me. Good luck anyway.
I agree. If one were to contemplate on Tiptronic, it is obvious that the control of a manual is not a critical factor; hence, maybe a Tiptonic would be the better choice since the 997TT tip is quite good.

Go for the tiptronic

Quick Reply: tip or not