Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer B.S?

Old 12-24-2006, 11:26 AM
max p.
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer B.S?

I have build date for 1-18-07 with a delivery date around late February. My question is, I was under the impression that you can make changes to the order as long as it's couple of weeks prior to the actual build date. I remember the manager telling me when I put my deposit in for this car back in July that I had up to 10 days prior to the build date to make any changes. So, I finally got a hold of the sales person that took my order and he told me that it's too late to make any changes. I ordered a blk/blk tip, but my friend just bought one that is practically a duplicate copy and I don't want to drive around with same color looking like twins in the same circle. Before I begin to waste any energy trying to make any changes, does anyone know if the dealer is correct on this matter?

Thanks guys and Happy Holidays!
Old 12-24-2006, 11:32 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't think it's BS.
I have never seen an order/configuration changed a couple of weeks prior to build, especially with a holiday break and re-startup of the lines.
Perhaps your dealer will allow you to take another allocation slot and they can try and sell your currently ordered/configured vehicle.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:38 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Your Dealer is correct. There is a code status which precludes changes, when activated in their manufacturing process. I don't remember the exact terminology, but someone here wil chime in with it. Usually about 30 days, or more, prior to build date further changes are prohibited.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:48 PM
2k7997tt
Advanced

I landed a November allocation in late September at a dealership in Austin. I ordered the car according to my specs. A dealership in California told me that there was no possibility that I could order a car at that time for a November build. The dealer in California checked things out and confirmed the build and order were legitimate. The California dealer tipped his hat to the dealership in Austin for arranging a spec car so late in the process.

Take home message.....I believe different dealers have different connections and therefore different capabilities.

Life is all about who you know.
Old 12-24-2006, 01:50 PM
Tioga120
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

30 days as Colm mentioned but then again 30- is possible I think . I changed my exterior color "last minute" which was at 27 days prior to build and it was excepted. I figured it was an imposibble long-shot but it took.

I always wondered if that was b.s. from the saleman trying to get an atta-boy but regardless it worked.

Tip: I offered to bring him very-very nice wine if it worked. He must be very-very thirsty...
Old 12-24-2006, 02:00 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think that different things work in different cases. at some point in the process, your order becomes etchrd in granite. when is that point?-about 30 days or so. it is possible that they accept your changes, but that it bumps it back further in the bui;d process, so that you will now take delivery at a later date than if you didn't change it. the quickest way to get the car is to leave the order alone. apparently, their computer ordering system will take changes in your order up to a certain date, after that date, they can attempt to call and change the order, which may or may not work. again, all this can delay your order.
Old 12-26-2006, 01:47 AM
HUMMM 3
AutoX

I'm in a similar position. My car will be very much like a friends car. I really had little choice, if I wanted my preferred color. I got over it (I don't think he has), because with so few color choices it's certain there will be other cars with similar combinations, especially in a large urban area. Stick with what you wanted in the first place and don't let others drive you into something you may not want. After you get the car you'll probably mod it to differentiate it from the others.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:25 AM
atomic80
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm the person that HUMMM 3 is referring to. I think it's hilarious that he chose to get the same color and most of my options give or take a few that I have in mine. I actually placed the order in late May/early June for an August build but because I made a series of changes including the color of the car, my build date got bumped to October. It was eventually built in mid-September much to my relief. From that experience I learned that it's generally not a good idea to make changes even if you still had time because it can potentially "bump" your build dates. My order was "locked in" and unchangeable about 2 months prior to the actual build date so 30 days is not unusual if not even less. My advice is to leave it be. See if your friend will change his although if he's like HUMMM 3, then that probably won't happen.
Old 12-26-2006, 03:39 PM
max p.
Intermediate

Lol!!! That made my day. Thanks to everyone for the info.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:43 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 410 Likes on 280 Posts

There are worse things that can happen, but same color can have an advantage too. Like when you have that lapse in judgment and come off the highway with all tires screaming like banshiees(but under control) and someone sees you and wants to report you. They prob wont get the plate# but will get the color. You can blame your friend. I have black and a friend has Atlas Gray, looks black in the evening. He did it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dealer B.S?