Sponsored by:

European Factory Pickup-details please

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 10:38 PM
dsts6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default European Factory Pickup-details please

We are interested in picking up the 997tt in Germany and driving around europe in it before having it sent to the US. Can someone please expalin how this is done and do you really have to pay more for this? I heard from someone that you pay less which doesn't make sense to me.
Thanks
Old 12-16-2006, 11:46 PM
turbo187
Advanced

Originally Posted by dsts6
We are interested in picking up the 997tt in Germany and driving around europe in it before having it sent to the US. Can someone please expalin how this is done and do you really have to pay more for this?
yes
I heard from someone that you pay less which doesn't make sense to me.
Thanks
not porsche
Old 12-17-2006, 12:27 AM
dsts6
Instructor

So it isn't possible ot pic it up at the factory without getting a tour so you won't have to pay?
Old 12-17-2006, 01:06 AM
turbo187
Advanced

So it isn't possible ot pic it up at the factory without getting a tour so you won't have to pay?
nope
Old 12-17-2006, 01:29 AM
dsts6
Instructor

thanks
Old 12-17-2006, 01:36 AM
turbo187
Advanced

people try to do a delivery during a "tour" that way they feel they are getting something for their money
Old 12-20-2006, 02:39 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Here's the deal. For a turbo pickup it will run you about $5000 more for a Euro delivery. If you can, try to shoot for their "Grand Tour" which is in May and September each year. Your dealer can get you the specific dates. They change from year to year. The added price you pay gets you accommodations for one night in something like the Graf Zepplin (5 Star) in downtown Stuttgart and a 5-course dinner. You'll get a tour of the plant and then two weeks of licensing and two weeks of insurance for driving around Europe. If you manage to get the grand tour you'll get a welcome cocktail party, another dinner, a vip tour of the factory, and right seat time at Weissach's factory test track with one of their test drivers. Then back to the factory to collect your car,--and then a going way dinner. If you want to stay in Europe longer (highly recommended) I suggest you secure your own additional insurance as the factory's additional premiums for this service are rediculous. (They are now looking into allowing this). Also, their deductible is a non-negotiable 1000 Euros. (That's about $1250). I spent over three weeks there this summer (May is unfortunately, a little too early for the best weather) and logged over 3200 miles on my Carrera S Cab, from Wiesbaden, Germany to Salerno, Italy. Fuel is about $6.60 a gallon for premium and Mobil 1 will set you back about $30 a liter. Still, all worth driving and breaking in the car on the autobahns,--speeding legally.

It's a great way to travel around Europe in style. Some have suggested that you merely rent a Porsche for less. True, you can rent a Porsche in Europe but those places are highly restrictive,--many places you cannot travel to, and they only allow something like 200 miles a day.

I picked up the car on 13 June and returned it to Zuffenhausen on 3 July. The car never got back to me until 7 Sep,--here on the west coast (it generally goes through the Panama Canal,--but not always).

A final note,--critical. The included navigational system is first rate in Europe. In fact, you will never sit in traffic (Stau). The active traffic avoidance system employed in Europe is light-years of anything they could imagine in the USA. It routes you off the autobahns to avoid such traffic and then directs you around the primary roads until the problem is behind you,--then back on. They will provide you with a loaner Euro map database DVD when over there, and the USA one comes in your manual package. Don't go to Europe without understanding how it works. When plannning your trip know the addresses (city codes are handy and faster) of your hotels and when an address isn't handy (like a place name) research it a little in advance on Google Earth and write down the Latitude/Longitute of your target destinations. It will save you a lot of time.

Last edited by Edgy01; 01-09-2007 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:02 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Don't you also have to pay for the car in full and a refundable VAT tax?
Old 01-09-2007, 03:14 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
Don't you also have to pay for the car in full and a refundable VAT tax?

Sort of. And not. Porsche puts up the lion's share and I had to put up $10,000 on a $136K sticker 997S. You get that back eventually from Porsche with interest. Technically the state (Germany) releases the VAT deposit when the car leaves the country. PCNA takes a bit longer to get it to you. Of course, the vehicle must be paid for in full before you show up to 'collect' it. This is done through your local PCNA dealer. They will then issue you a Mulroney sticker which they state is needed to get the car. Not really. When you arrive at the Customer Center in Zuffenhausen they already know that you're paid up and ready to collect.

Quick Reply: European Factory Pickup-details please