997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are you satisfied with your Turbo?

Old 12-20-2006, 01:58 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

it sure beats my lexus 450h, but we already knew that... only I was stupid enough-had to find out for sure
main negatives: 400 # too heavy for long term ownership
main positive: useful space v Gallardo. i thought about a TT tip or a G to drive until the Gt3 gets here, but G is not useful daily with no space for gear.
also: 4WD and huge headroom of 997 design, and maybe be able to pawn off on wife as it's "automatic"

car is no longer a thriller performance rig.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:42 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by watt
car is no longer a thriller performance rig.
So, what car is?
Old 12-21-2006, 11:55 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Originally Posted by allegretto
So, what car is?

GT3

pounded on the TT yesterday, and it's one superb heavy car. the flat handling in sport mode is excellent
Old 12-21-2006, 01:32 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

GT3

pounded on the TT yesterday, and it's one superb heavy car. the flat handling in sport mode is excellent
Hmmmm.

So you think the GT-3 (BTW 996 or 997?) is "thrilling", but the TT is not?

Not to be argumentitive, but I have driven both and in stock trim anyway, neither is what I would call "thrilling", but perhaps the word means something different to You than to me...

A Formula or Champ car is "thrilling". Perhaps an Enzo or a C-GT would be thrilling. I don't think any street car I've ever driven is really thrilling however. None of them is fast enough (so far) and none of them can be driven to the level of say...a Radical or even a Formula Mazda for that matter.

I'm not contradicting what you say, just saying that you can only get so much from a car built for the street.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:17 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,478 Likes on 2,268 Posts

it sure beats my lexus 450h, but we already knew that... only I was stupid enough-had to find out for sure.
LOL, i can't see you in a hybrid. i tried very very hard and finally talked my wife out of a lexus hybrid, whew.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:26 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mooty
LOL, i can't see you in a hybrid. i tried very very hard and finally talked my wife out of a lexus hybrid, whew.
I think you'd be impressed if you drove one.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:33 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

From what i hear from Amir and Colm, the 997 GT3 is thrilling, at least for olde fartes like us. i only buy street cars.

Amir compares the new 3 to the Stradale experience. To me, no car i ever owned was more thrilling [on the olde fart scale of thrilling, which does not include cruising the airport run in Bagdad] than my Strad.s, altho' the 930 and 996 GT2 came close, having never owned a 993 GT2 sadly.

As for the 450h hybrid, "you'd be impressed if you drove one" is right: it goes, stops and handles very well for a heavy sedan. i got it for MPG on all our soccer commuting on the 405 [25-26 mpg at 90], got 24 all round and if you drove it hard, 18, 7 mpg better than the S4 which is a much better all around performance sedan.... also no emissions.

When clean luxury diesels hit USA, you can get a higher MPG luxury car that performs equally, maybe in a year or 2. And the Tesla electric sportscar is a great idea, altho' it sounds like the execution is not too good....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Are you satisfied with your Turbo?