Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need ideas/choices for low wt-replacement 911 turbo wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 08:42 PM
turbojohn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great photo,,,,do you have one of the entire side of the car you can post. Looks like the posted HRE C-21 is 19"??
Old 11-27-2006, 09:08 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by turbojohn
Great photo,,,,do you have one of the entire side of the car you can post. Looks like the posted HRE C-21 is 19"??
here you go...

yes they are 19". all the little screws holding the wheels together are titanium...very cool. the front calipers look very nice (and BIG) in there

Last edited by allegretto; 08-27-2008 at 10:46 PM.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:37 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,274 Likes on 528 Posts

If they use 18" on racing cars, what is there for an advantage to 19" wheels besides supposed better looks (I find this questionalble) and rougher ride??? Sounds like looks is all??
Cause 18" won't clear the big brakes.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:16 AM
turbojohn
Instructor

Lightbulb Light wt rims instead of costly ceramics

Originally Posted by atomic80
18" wheels will clear the standard steel rotors without a problem, yep. Turbojohn was talking about PCCB in his first post so I assumed he was getting them. To get the ceramic rotors + lightweight wheels would be the best way to reduce the unsprung weight. It'd make the car VERY fast indeed.
TJ-Post was saying instead of $9K cash for ceramics, one could do the unsprung wt savings just by buy light weight rims for much less money.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:25 AM
turbojohn
Instructor

Default Great photo, thanks

Originally Posted by allegretto
here you go...

yes they are 19". all the little screws holding the wheels together are titanium...very cool. the front calipers look very nice (and BIG) in there
The C-21s are a good choice...my tt is artic silver, may get the alumimum shaded ones. Still will go for the 18"....not clear at all on the 19". One would think with 19s", there would be less side to side movement over the 18s", but if 18s are favored for track, that may not be a variable to consider at all for rather vigorous street driving. Again, thanks for the photo.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:09 AM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Cause 18" won't clear the big brakes.
What are you talking about? They will clear the big reds, not sure about the pccb but I would be very surprised if there wasn't an 18" wheel that would work. How much bigger are the pccbs?
Old 11-28-2006, 01:12 AM
TT Gasman
Drifting

If they use 18" on racing cars, what is there for an advantage to 19" wheels besides supposed better looks (I find this questionalble) and rougher ride??? Sounds like looks is all??
You got that right, 19's are looks only. No performance benefit over 18"s only bling if you will. I wish we had a choice on the TT, I would opt for 18s in a flash.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:29 AM
turbojohn
Instructor

Default For new rims..I'll get 18"

Originally Posted by DJ 996
You got that right, 19's are looks only. No performance benefit over 18"s only bling if you will. I wish we had a choice on the TT, I would opt for 18s in a flash.
For my upcoming HRE -21s, I'll get 18" rims if available with p2 tires. Trade in for my turbo wheels/tires is $1500. Or it might be a good idea to store my 19"rims/ tires when ever the turbo is traded back in. I did this with my M3 and never went back to the 19s ever. The ride was terrible compared to my 18s" The downside of this choice is the space to stack the rims/tires.
I can image the jarring-ride with 20" wheels. That seems to be the rim BBS etc seem to be promoting. Those with so little rubber look very-ugly to me.

What is amazing is that I notice no difference in side to side movement in high speed turns between my 18" and 19" on my '06 M3. I thought with less air, there might be this one benefit. If this was true, more drivers would use 19" on the track.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:55 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 607 Posts

I'll give you $1600 for your stock rims and tires
Old 11-28-2006, 05:20 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For my upcoming HRE -21s, I'll get 18" rims if available with p2 tires. Trade in for my turbo wheels/tires is $1500. Or it might be a good idea to store my 19"rims/ tires when ever the turbo is traded back in. I did this with my M3 and never went back to the 19s ever. The ride was terrible compared to my 18s" The downside of this choice is the space to stack the rims/tires.
I can image the jarring-ride with 20" wheels. That seems to be the rim BBS etc seem to be promoting. Those with so little rubber look very-ugly to me.

What is amazing is that I notice no difference in side to side movement in high speed turns between my 18" and 19" on my '06 M3. I thought with less air, there might be this one benefit. If this was true, more drivers would use 19" on the track.
So, TJ, guess you like the wheels

I would think twice aboout aluminum paint with Artic however. I originally ordered these when I had an Artic C4S Cab. They looked smokin' when they came in. I was soooo glad they fit right on the TT however which I traded up to a couple of weeks later.

Where are you buying them from???

BTW, the downside of owninf two different sized wheels is that tires may not be interchanged.

Quick Reply: Need ideas/choices for low wt-replacement 911 turbo wheels