Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Put down deposit for July build - discounts by then?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 10:45 AM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 682 Likes on 347 Posts
Default Put down deposit for July build - discounts by then?

Should be a july build for an '08. Was wondering what type of discounts (if any) we'll be seeing by then.

The specs are:

Slate grey
black full leather
adaptive sport seats
rocker panel painted
sports chrono
LSD
mats
heated seats
thicker sport steering wheel
leather door finishers
crests in headrests
short shifter (dealer)
Old 11-22-2006, 01:56 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably not.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:35 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 682 Likes on 347 Posts

You're probably right. Boy, you pay sticker then the car depreciates like a stone LOL! Not a good formula!
Old 11-22-2006, 07:55 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

If you lease, you know your depreciation in advance, and can buy it at the end if you wish.
I may be the only guy who doesn't think you have to get every dollar out of a deal to have it be successful. Having what you want and enjoying it every day for 3 years is worth alot. In this case, it may be $500 a month more than having something you don"t enjoy every day. AS
Old 11-22-2006, 08:24 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
If you lease, you know your depreciation in advance, and can buy it at the end if you wish.
I may be the only guy who doesn't think you have to get every dollar out of a deal to have it be successful. Having what you want and enjoying it every day for 3 years is worth alot. In this case, it may be $500 a month more than having something you don"t enjoy every day. AS
Move over, you got company.

If you want appreciation on a new car, put down a deposit and wait three years for a Ferrari. Otherwise, they all depreciate like a stone.

What...? You expected more?
Old 11-22-2006, 08:52 PM
Ken89911T
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There may be some small discounts by then, who knows. Buying vs leasing - it's like tip vs manual, steel vs PCCB, etc. It depends on your intended ownership plans, so no single approach is best for all buyers.

By the way, your specs are almost identical to mine. We obviously have very good taste
Old 11-22-2006, 11:39 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

i just purchased my 997 vs leasing. tax considerations aside, leasing a 997tt for 3 years is going to cost at least 2200 to 2400 dollars/month, no money down plus inceptions. buying is overall less expensive. i agree with alexander otherwise-most important is to find a car that you really enjoy, not to worry about depreciation or the deal.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:46 PM
rkeyser
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I stopped by a Porsche dealer in the Los Angeles area yesterday to pickup a part. They had 3 Turbos for sale and my salesman tried to talk me into buying one at MSRP. This is from a dealer that is famous for selling at "market value". So if they are selling in So Cal now for MSRP, I would expect discounts (probably small) just arouind the corner. For some reason they have really cooled off around here. Just a couple of months ago they were selling for 40K over.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:46 AM
max p.
Intermediate

Where is the dealer located?
Old 11-23-2006, 01:55 AM
rkeyser
Advanced

It is the Auto Gallery in Woodland Hills. The car I looked at was new and was in the shop having a PDI. It was grey, full leather, LSD, manual, etc. and the sticker was ~133K if I remember right. The other 2 cars were used, black, one tip one manual with low mileage. Now, I don't know if they offered me MSRP since I've purchased a lot of cars from them or what but they seemed overly motivated for some reason. The salesman was Gianni so you might want to talk to him if you are interested in that car.
Old 11-23-2006, 02:21 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be the less than glowing performance published in the magazines. Or everyone waiting for the DSG or Cab.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:26 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by texas911
Could be the less than glowing performance published in the magazines. Or everyone waiting for the DSG or Cab.
I dont understand that. This month's C&D had the Tip outpulling their fastest Z06 times and it tracks with the best of the street scene yet it is percieved as "disappointing". Not sure why.

No offense to you of course, that has been some prevailing "wisdom" in the rags.

If they can find a better car, they should buy it!!! I think it is near perfect for my use.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:42 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by allegretto
I dont understand that. This month's C&D had the Tip outpulling their fastest Z06 times and it tracks with the best of the street scene yet it is percieved as "disappointing". Not sure why.

No offense to you of course, that has been some prevailing "wisdom" in the rags.

If they can find a better car, they should buy it!!! I think it is near perfect for my use.
i agree. autoweek this week had an article on the 997tt-they loved it. i don't profess to be an auto expert, but i have owned tons of cars and of those, i have owned at least 8 porsches. my 997tt is the best car that i have had. i am amused when i read people complaining about a 500hp car that does 0-60 in 3.5 seconds, is awd and surrounds you with luxory, looks sharp as hell and has a 4 year warranty. i am more than happy with my turbo. as far as discounts, it's going to be a while. obviously, as long as the dealers have no trouble pre-selling their allocation, there will be no significant discounts. obviously, many dealers are pre-sold into next summer, so i wouldn't expect real discounts for at least until next fall/winter, and if porsche restricts supply and doesn't overbuild like they did in 03, maybe not for even longer. all of you will really enjoy your cars when you get them. don't listen to those who get their cars, are unhappy after 300 miles and put their cars on ebay, looking to make 10k over msrp because their exhaust isn't loud enough. these are all flippers-looking to flip their cars for profit. i would much rather have the car to drive than the 10k.let's face it-the 997tt is one of the best sports gt's in the world, at any cost-we are all fortunate to be able to afford one.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:58 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by texas911
Visual similarity between models ranging from $60,000 to 150,000 is one reason. Second , factoring all the look alike models produced, Porsche's are (excuse the expression) " a dime a dozen".

Third, dpereciation on high end Porsche's is nothing less than disasterous. Look at what has happened to the CGT, GT2, 996TT. The Autoweek article referenced above also cited cost of ownership figures for the 997TT. First year was $52,037. OUCH!
Old 11-25-2006, 03:39 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

come on nick-does $52,000 seem accurate to you? not unless they are counting tax depreciation.

Quick Reply: Put down deposit for July build - discounts by then?