Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone go from 997 TT to M5 or vice versa?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 01:26 PM
MPS
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think with family/kids it is best to have both cars 997tt and the M5 if the budget allows.

Good rationalization is that this combination is still (almost) cheaper, more practical (and faster) than many alternatives: F-430, Bentleys, MayBach, Bugatti, CGT ect.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:11 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 102 Posts

I will offer a counterpoint. I like the M5 better than the TT if I can only have one of them. As a long-term P car owner, I passed on my TT when I came up on the list in favor of the M5. I went from a 996 TT to a 997S and now the M5. Admittedly, I'm probably older than most here (52) and really enjoy the creature comforts of the M5- keyless go, ventilated seats, SMG (I know, I'm one of the few that love it), paddle shifters, sateliite radio, etc. It has plenty of power for daily driving; easier to get in and out of and better for long distance travel. I have used the fold down seats for an unexpected mountain bike purchase on a vacation. It's 4k pounds but 500 hp is still, well 500 hp (fun). My 997S is more fun on weekends, spirited drives, twisty roads, etc. You definitely feel more connected with the Porsche. On a daily basis, i like the M5 better. Put another couple in back of the M5, hit the gas and hear them squeal. The M5 sounds better than the 997TT. The Porsche is special- instantly recognized and admired, beautiful and every car guy should own one at least once. I'm just saying for me, the Porsche stays in the garage more and the M5 is my default car for work, errands, going out with friends or family and it is the ultimate luxury 4 door performance sedan. The Porsche is better for what is what intended for and ideally both are nice. Both great cars so it is whatever suits your needs best.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:20 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

If I needed an M5 for space I'd buy a Cayenne Turbo, wait a miniute, I alreday did!
Old 11-28-2006, 06:48 PM
ebanzero
Instructor

I came out of a 996 turbo and had an order for the first 997 turbo from my dealer. When the car came in I chose to cancel it and wait for the 997 GT3 RS - I have the first one coming in. I ended up buying the E60 M5 as a daily driver and ended up loving the car. You get the practicality of a 4 door sedan, but it is also a rocket ship. A true wolf in sheep's clothing. I can take the family in it, or put my bike in the back, and yet there are 500 horses ready to explode if I want to. The only complaint is that I can't truly drive the car to it's potential - it's too fast. Plus now they are coming out with the 6 speed manual transmission. If you need the space there is no choice in my opinion - the M5.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:56 AM
W211
Racer

Came very close to getting the M5 to replace my E55k. However, couldn't stand the looks (headlights) and picked up a face-lifted 750Li and a 997TT instead.

If I were to have one car, the M5 will be a serious consideration. I like it best as it can blend in with traffic. On the other hand, driving the 997TT is similar in a way, with so many Boxsters and 997 around, it's still relatively low profile.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:38 PM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...porsche%2Bturbo

Thought this was applicable
Old 11-30-2006, 07:47 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carcam
I will offer a counterpoint. I like the M5 better than the TT if I can only have one of them. As a long-term P car owner, I passed on my TT when I came up on the list in favor of the M5. I went from a 996 TT to a 997S and now the M5. Admittedly, I'm probably older than most here (52) and really enjoy the creature comforts of the M5- keyless go, ventilated seats, SMG (I know, I'm one of the few that love it), paddle shifters, sateliite radio, etc. It has plenty of power for daily driving; easier to get in and out of and better for long distance travel. I have used the fold down seats for an unexpected mountain bike purchase on a vacation. It's 4k pounds but 500 hp is still, well 500 hp (fun). My 997S is more fun on weekends, spirited drives, twisty roads, etc. You definitely feel more connected with the Porsche. On a daily basis, i like the M5 better. Put another couple in back of the M5, hit the gas and hear them squeal. The M5 sounds better than the 997TT. The Porsche is special- instantly recognized and admired, beautiful and every car guy should own one at least once. I'm just saying for me, the Porsche stays in the garage more and the M5 is my default car for work, errands, going out with friends or family and it is the ultimate luxury 4 door performance sedan. The Porsche is better for what is what intended for and ideally both are nice. Both great cars so it is whatever suits your needs best.
i do understand your point of view. i had an 03 996tt, then when i came off lease, i bought a 997c4s-great car, but i missed the power of the turbo. i drove the m5 multiple times to try it, but i ordered and recently took delivery on my 997tt. like you, i am not a kid (54). i could certainly understand why someone would like the power and comfort of the m5. easy to get in and out, lots of space, etc. the smg was driving me nuts, and it seemed to me like it was a piece of technology that could have been designed better. if there was a 6 speed to drive, maybe i would have thought differently. all in all, the turbo was more satisfying to me, but i certainly see your point of view.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:34 PM
CHARLIE60
3rd Gear

If you have more than 1 kid, I'd get the M5. I just pre-traded my E60 M5 for a 997TT (May prod.) I also picked up an 06' C4S to drive until the TT gets here. I missed the M5 luxury comforts already....not counting the Eisenmann exhaust sound on the V-10 engine.
Anyway, I have one 3 yrs. old so I guess it's OK to be in the Porsche. For you, you might need a little more room with 3 kids.

Good luck with your decision. You can't go wrong with either car.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:44 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did similar-i drove an 06 c4s until my 997tt came in a couple weeks ago. as I said in a previous post, I had checked out an m5, but decided on the turbo. you will love the turbo-just think of your c4s with 130 more hp. good luck
Old 12-13-2006, 01:29 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

I have a 06 M5 as my daily driver and a GT2. I had a 996 TT before and while I have not driven the 997 TT, I know the 996 TT is a great everyday car and assume the 997 would fill the same role. Since you have a Cayenne Turbo you have the 4 door, 4 seat car you need for family drives. While the CT will not perform at the level of the M5, it is not meant to. By the same token the M5 will not perform at the level of the 997 TT.

So if you don't need 4 doors everyday I would get the 997 TT and use the CT for family drives. Hope you find what is right for you. All great choices!

JCM
Old 12-13-2006, 04:26 PM
jonmyer
Intermediate

I owned an E55, and then bought the 2006 M5. I cannot compare it to the tt, but can tell you that I would rather drive my 2007 C4S over the M5 ANY day, ANY time. The SMG transmission on the M5 was designed by Fred Flintstone. Road feel with the M5 was certainly better than the E55, but straight line speed felt much faster in the E55 than the M5- torque is no comparison. You really have to wind up the V10 on the M5 to get any real impressive power out of it.
Bottom line, stuff the kids into the tt and you are good to go. Better yet, get both
Old 12-21-2006, 10:12 PM
markporsche
Intermediate

I kept my 2003 E55 Modified Beautiful Carlsson Forged Wheels, etc. ..and added an 03 996 TT and i have to say that there is no comparison to the fun factor or the sexy factor the Porsche Brings.

There are very few things one can do to the benz in terms of "tweaking".
The Porsche on the other hand allow syou to play a little...intake, exhausts, cats, headers, on an on and very inexpensive when compared to the costs of almost any reliable mods on the E55.

I still love the E55 - I think its hard to beat in terms of dual personality..switch it to soft suspension and comfort on the transmission and ride like you are in a big benz. BUT....No matter what ese you say the cars are both beautiful and very, very different. Nothing compares in my opinon to 6 manula gears on a Porsche Turbo. If you are expecting to be in traffic, drive the E55. If not drive the turbo...
Old 01-03-2007, 06:46 PM
GForceSS
8th Gear

This thread worries me on a 997 TT purchase. I took the M5 out for the day and really challenged it, I was not impressed to any degree (comforts and adaptive seats maybe). However, if you guys are even remotely saying the 997TT has a similar feel in power...I'm worried on purchasing a TT.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:53 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 607 Posts

There is no similarity between the M5 and the 997TT in the power delivery. The TT has alot of grunt. Not quite E55 grunt but it doesn't need to spin-up like a hamster on a wheel to get the car moving.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:09 AM
craigsduc
Instructor

Originally Posted by GForceSS
This thread worries me on a 997 TT purchase. I took the M5 out for the day and really challenged it, I was not impressed to any degree (comforts and adaptive seats maybe). However, if you guys are even remotely saying the 997TT has a similar feel in power...I'm worried on purchasing a TT.
As we have all said ( ok, 95 % of us ) there is really no comparison. While both cars appear on paper to have similar power, it is the total package that the tt provides that puts it into a different league. If you have a vehicle to take the entire family out with and want a sports car, get the tt..............period! I,m 51, have owned many many cars, have logged many miles on tracks in Southern California, and the tt is the most enjoyable sportscar I have ever owned. I do have an RS coming in June/July and am now wondering which car I will keep when it does arrive as the more I drive the tt, the more I like it.............as a sports car to suit many needs. The love affair I thought I had for the M5 was lost the 3rd time I drove it. Don,t even consider it if power delivery is your main concern. You have to really flog it to expose its, credentials...........other wise it is just a really nice 5 series!..............Period! I put my 2 year old in the back seat and she fits in without a booster like it was made for her. My wife rode in back ( behind me...sideways) for a 5 mile ride ( bless her heart ) and was willing to do it again ( not shure to her sanity ). I wouldn,t do it again but for a pair of little ones..............absolutely! Long trips with 3 kids and the wife.........no way..............thats what Cayenne Turbos are for!

Yes indeed, if you want a sportscar that does it all, the 07 tt is to me as good as it gets. If you want a really sporty family car, get a E 63 or a CL65

Quick Reply: Anyone go from 997 TT to M5 or vice versa?