Sponsored by:

Never had so much trouble on picking a color

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 08:48 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 682 Likes on 347 Posts
Default Never had so much trouble on picking a color

I've always known exactly what color I was getting when ordering or buying a car. Never a thought, question, nothing. When I ordered the 997S I thought very briefly about some other colors - mostly black but pretty much knew all along I was going with some type of silver/grey.

Having decided VERY early into 997S owership that a TT was going to be in my future I've been thinking about colors for several months. I really wanted to stay away from silver/grey this time as my last several cars were silver.

I thought I had it down solid that I was going with white for the TT. I drove a white TT and it looked great. I had initially given serious thought to cobalt as well as black. Have been going back and forth again the last few days but imagining a gun to my head I usually say "white". That was until today when I read here on the 997S forum a member whose white car is turning yellow?! Well, not really yellow but he has started to notice that some of the non-metal parts of the car have discolored a bit. I sent an e-mail to the person whose white TT I drove and asked him about this and he confirmed - his bumpers and the protective film on the side are "yellow". Several in the thread also posted similiar comments. I was horrified!! No way can I spend 130K on a car and have it not all be the same color.

I've heard all the horror stories and jokes about black cars. My car is not my daily driver and garaged when not driven - I detail the car myself and am fanatical (maybe a good reason NOT to get black).

So, if your car was not your DD would you have given more consideration to black?

Really hadn't given much thought to red but (no offense intended) I'm afraid I'll be screaming "hear I come" or "mid-life crisis". Besides I plan on keeping this car a while (yeah, right LOL - I said that 6 months ago when I bought the 997S and said the same thing when I bought my E55 only to sell that 1 1/2 years later) but i'm afraid the cobalt or red might not "age" well. Might get tired of something that brash as great as they look.

So, to sum up am I overreacting with this whole white thing? or should I go black or really go crazy and get red or cobalt. or Atlas or Slate or...... my head hurst now.

Sorry for the rant and thanks for indulging me.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:38 PM
Ken89911T
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, a Porsche that yellows. That's really disappointing. It's tough to decide on a color for a car that looks great in almost anything. Maybe no help here, but the obvious solution is just to go with the color that excites your imagination (the most). I had silver car for many moons, thought I would like a change, went for slate, a color I really like, but I know others may not like as much. Of course, it's my car so I get to choose what I like. So should you.

Whatever color you choose, have a great time with your new ride when it gets there.

Ken
Old 11-06-2006, 09:42 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I initially recoiled at black due to the "beautifiul when clean, horrible when dirty" thing. But between Zaino, my (almost) spot-free de-ionizer, and the dealer once or twice a week I get by as black in my DD

However, if I had ordered it I likely would have gone for Lapis Blue. Drop dead beautiful to me, but that's just one man's choice.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:02 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 607 Posts

I went Arctic>Black>Midnite>Red>Black>Red. I would literally make a color change and call the salesman back the same day to switch again.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:10 PM
Scottfromnapa
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You sound like me 4 months ago!! First I thought speed yellow, then I decided on silver, then I thought about black.....just kept going round and round. Then I saw a color that really excited me, a dark cherry red - Nissan Red. So I decided on "color to sample". You may want to do the same. Look at different colors on the road and at dealerships, find one you love, and paint your Turbo that color!! Not only will have a great color for YOU, your car will be very unique.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:18 PM
kush07
Racer

A red porsche fell into my lap a few years back. I was a little hesistant at first. Not a color I would have chosen at the time. Gotta say though, it was beautiful and I shortly got very used to it. That said, I'm going through a bit of your back and forth. Probably end up with slate. I love the depth to the color.

Black needs to be clean. Even the dirt accumulation in the garage is enough to drive some people crazy. There are plenty of great colors that will look better with less work.

Good luck.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:01 PM
Sunshine
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by eclou
I went Arctic>Black>Midnite>Red>Black>Red. I would literally make a color change and call the salesman back the same day to switch again.
You're like me.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:49 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 682 Likes on 347 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I know no one can "tell" me what to get - I was just venting. I've read most of the posts from you who had the same problem LOL.

My brother had a 930 black that was gorgeous and he is as nuts as I am about clean cars. He keeps telling me NO BLACK LOL. I think I would cringe pulling it out of the garage and seeing an inch of dust on the entire surface of the car.

Quick question: can someone tell me what the differences/characteristics are of Atlas, slate, and meteor. It's hard to tell from the configurator but it appears that the atlas has a bit of a blue hue to it, giving it a black/blue tint while the slate almost appears to have a brown to it. The meteor just looks more like a neutral grey.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:51 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Personally I like. white, midnight blue, basalt black, slate grey.
I have artic silver and am tired of seeing every car out there the same color, but it does stand out more the meteor grey.
Meteor blends in to much and people don't even see the car. This is like the 996 seal grey(corect me if i am wrong).
Altas Grey is cool when there is enough light and it shows the blue hue but under grey skys doesn't appeal to me.
I like red and yellow but would never own a car that color. Don't mind seeing others with it, just don't want it as mine.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:48 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i ordered and am taking delivery this week on a red with tan interior 997tt. i had an 87 911 targa in that color combo and loved it. i have had about 7 porsches after, mostly various greys/silvers and most recently a 997c4s that is black-i always loved my red/tan one. i think for a sports car, it is classic. when you think of a ferrari, what color do you think of? good luck in your choice.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:53 AM
atomic80
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok! I've been there! I think we all have! I started out with Seal grey but that was discontinued so I went with GT silver but then I saw that in Europe and it didn't look good to me (almost pink-ish under certain lighting) so I switched to Cobalt blue. I'm honestly glad that I made that choice because it really knocked my socks off when I first saw her. I posted pictures in the other thread marking the arrival of my Turbo. There was also a Speed Yellow Turbo there too.

On hte other hand, IMHO, you shouldn't spend so much time worrying about what others think would be a good color for you but rather, what you feel would be the best choice for yourself.

As for the grey colors...it goes from darkest to lightest in this order, Atlas Grey (pretty dark almost to the point of looking like black most of the time), Slate grey (brownish grey and looks GREAT especially under sunny conditions) and then Meteor grey which is fairly light compared to the last two. Looks great! I wouldn't mind going wiht this.

Good luck with your decisionmaking processes and let us know what you end up going with.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:54 AM
gmoney99
Instructor

www.europeanspeed.com check out the grey comparo of all three on one page.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:14 PM
AAHTT
Racer

Thumbs up

E55AMG, I have 3 black porsches and it is a pain keeping them clean and shiny but when they are, they always remind me that black is the best color for a porsche especially the 997 TT which seems to have a significantly darker and deeper black than the boxster or the Cayenne.
So for me black all the way. Good luck.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:31 PM
kush07
Racer

Originally Posted by gmoney99
www.europeanspeed.com check out the grey comparo of all three on one page.
Great site.

it appears that the atlas has a bit of a blue hue to it, giving it a black/blue tint while the slate almost appears to have a brown to it. The meteor just looks more like a neutral grey.
I think you've pretty much hit it on the head. I've been to my dealer countless times (just this saturday again as a matter of fact) to finalize my colors. In addition to having to see these cars in person, you need to see them outside. The flourescent lighting in the dealerships is very different from natural light.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:36 PM
Terk
Track Day

Chris, I feel your pain but as colour is so subjective and personal you have to make the final decision. I started out with every intention of going with Guards but then broadend my choices to include Atlas and Cobalt. Already having two LeMans Blue BMW's in the garage and although Cobalt is stunning, I wanted something diferent. I visted my dealer the day afer a Canadian launch party to start the order process, Guards was still on my mind until seeing White and Basalt launch cars in the flesh. White looked quite stunning but Basalt was absolutey gorgeous and I never second guessed the decision again.

With the Turbo not being a DD and for the most part a fair weather car, I was prepared to take on the challenge of keeping up a black car. Although I have only had the car for 3 weeks and it has yet to get dirty, I am quite impressed how the metallic paint looks between washes. So far no regrets and when she's clean, she looks oh so good.

Quick Reply: Never had so much trouble on picking a color